Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: August Riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

That looks like a really fun ride to me, nwg! And the blackberries...YUM! I am envious!

I am actually feeling a lot better tonight so am considering riding tomorrow. I will see how I feel in the morning.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Hope you're able to ride, Emily. Good luck.

Yeah, guess I'm hooked on all this off the pavement riding stuff, either via single track, trail, gravel, dirt or sand road. Love the "never know what I'll be riding over or through, next" aspect of it all and, of course, love been back in the woods, boldly going where no road bike has gone before kind of thing. It's all part of what they are now labeling as adventure riding. Nothing as epic as what Sky will be doing in the Baja, but same idea on a much smaller scale.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Hope you're able to ride, Emily. Good luck.
    Thanks! I decided not to as I coughed a bit overnight. I don't want any setbacks since I am getting my braces on Monday and don't want to be coughing in the orthodontist's face! Trying to get well asap. Fortunately I rarely cough during the day.
    Emily

Smart, Emily. I am just starting to learn this lesson.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Feel better, Emily.

I rode after work last night. Sad that it's getting dark earlier, and not thrilled with the early-fall temps -- I want summer! I attempted my new hill ride (which is not so hilly) again, with a few modifications to simplify things in a couple of places. I only made one wrong turn which was easily corrected. I might edit the route again, because a couple of turns were at the tops of hills from side streets with stop signs to busier roads without stop signs, and it was hard to clip out and then get going again on the inclines.

My ankle bothered me a bit at the beginning of the ride until I stopped and put a folded piece of paper inside my shoe under my big toe. It seems to help to have a little something under the toe to elevate it slightly. It keeps me from curling the toe and reminds me to keep my heel down as I pedal. It helps to have something under my toe when I walk, too.

Tomorrow I'm leading a club ride in southern Maryland which is somewhat exploratory. A couple of years ago I learned that there is an environmental research center with public hiking trails and water trails for kayaks and canoes in an area where I like to ride, and I've been wanting to check it out. So I planned a bike ride that includes a stop there. Then on Sunday I go for the beginner kayak class. It will be a busy weekend.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Just remembered a detail from my ride last night -- before the ride, as I was adding air to the tires, I encountered a type of leak I'd never seen before. As soon as I removed the cap from the Presta valve stem on the rear tire, air started to come out, with a pretty loud hiss like you'd hear after loosening the screw and pressing down on the top of the valve. I typically tighten the screw on the stem pretty well after pumping up the tire, but maybe it was a bit loose. I unscrewed it as far as it would go and was able to pump up the tire to my usual 100 psi. When I tightened the screw again it seemed okay. I put the cap back on, screwed it on as tightly as possible. Started to ride. After a mile or so I stopped and checked the tire. It felt a bit springier than usual but seemed okay. I was able to finish the ride (17 miles) without a problem. Then as brought the bike into the house I noticed that the tire had lost quite a bit of air.

I planned to change it right away, well, after eating dinner, but it was late and I was tired. So I will deal with it tonight. I'm hoping the only problem is with the valve stem. I just put the tube in a month or so ago after the tire had a puncture. If it's been punctured again, I think I might replace it. I hate flat tires, especially rear flats.
    Last edited by ny biker; 08-25-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Gone but not forgotten:

Best of luck, NY. Sounds like it's time to just replace the tube, though. If it's leaking around the base of the stem where it protrudes from the tube, a patch might be an iffy fix.

I hear you about getting dark earlier, now. Hit the trails at 4:30 this afternoon and it was like, what happened to my daylight? Been cool, too. I'm not ready to let my summer go, either.

It's going to be 48 here tonight...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Brrrr...hard to get my head around folks starting to have early fall temps. Here in Florida we're still having low 90s for highs and mid 70s for lows. Fall is not in sight!
    Emily

60s for highs, this week, here. Even had a scattered frost warning, earlier in the week.

Steady light rain and drizzle, today, but, as always, couldn't stand being trapped in the house. Headed out with a shovel and axe to do a little trail improvement work, then finished with half of my usual laps on one of the fat bikes. Didn't get all that wet, though. Surprising how the overhead canopy of the forest keeps things dry down below for a long time.

Have a brother down in Austin, though. Now he is getting some real rain.

I had a great ride yesterday, just short of 50 miles, which included a visit to the environmental research facility that I mentioned the other day. I had first heard of it a couple of years ago and finally went to check it out. They have some hiking trails that are open to the public as well as a dock for launching canoes and kayaks. It's run by the Smithsonian. As an added bonus, there's a visitors center with restrooms and a water fountain. In an area where public restroom opportunities are few and far between, it's always good to find a new one that we can use. We had a good group, 12 people who rode together comfortably for most of the ride.

When I got home I discovered that my front tire was soft, so I have another flat to fix. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad these are slow leaks that enable me to finish the ride and make the repairs at home. But still, three in one month is a bit much. I was at the bike shop today picking up some new tire levers (my old ones are just too thick) and they said if I bring them the tube with the valve stem problem they will replace it under warranty. The entire top part of the stem came off when I removed the cap on that tube the other day. Weird.
    Last edited by ny biker; 08-27-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Gone but not forgotten:

Three in a month is nuts, for sure. What gives?

The rain and drizzle continues, but I'm still riding. Figure that if I live, up here, I gotta take what comes and keep going. Okay, makes me sound tough, right? I'm not, though. As always, just a matter of dressing for it. Just a little grumpy and kind of spoiled by all those beautiful summer days. Where has my summer gone?

We are continuing our beuatiful summer weather. Spent the weekend in the "Happy Valley," (Amherst area) with our friends. Drove out early yesterday and then we spent almost the whole day at a Western MA AMC chapter event at a "camp" in Russell, MA, which was about an hour south and a bit west of where our friend's live. On the way there, we turned up and drove part way up Blanford Rd, the scene of one of my 2 times I've gotton off my bike and walked! I think I could do it now, but it is a really long climb. Anyway, the day consisted of some short, easy hikes to introduce people to the trails, a lunch, and a speaker who talked about and brought snakes. A gorgeous view and grounds. It's a self serve AMC site, where you can rent rooms, tent sites and there is a shared kitchen facility and bathhouse. I won 2 books about hikes in western/central MA in the raffle, too. The snake talk was a bit boring to me, although the speaker was good. We decided we will come back for snow shoeing on these trails.
    After an evening of rum swizzles and a great dinner at our friends' new home, we did a ride this morning. My first ride with the new Di2 on my Silque. Only 25 miles, but through unique farmland and riding through a couple of towns I have not ridden in. The bike was fine, and I am glad I did it. After our ride, we went to a new, small winery, about 1.5 miles from their house. The tasting was awesome, and it turns out the owners are cyclists, former racers, who know someone I know (who used to hang out here). We joined their wine club, since we are out there fairly often. We sat outside at our friends' for a bit and then headed home.
    I am tired, a lot of allergens out there today. Not sure if I will ride tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Did I say I had a flat tire after yesterday's ride? Make that TWO flat tires.

The front seems to have a damaged stem. It's very short and has been a problem since day 1 because I have trouble attaching it to the floor pump. So no surprise that it's now shot.

The rear tire has a puncture. Upon inspection, I'm finding many cuts in this tire, some pretty deep. There are no holes going all the way through but that doesn't seem to matter. But the kicker is, after replacing the tube and filling it with air, there is the beginning of a split on the side. This might have been caused by the tire hitting the hallway wall as I carry the bike up and down the stairs of my apartment building. Not that it matters, though. Because it's time to get rid of these Conti Grand Prix tires and get some new Gatorskins.

Should I get folding bead or regular? What's the difference?

Gone but not forgotten:

I have the regular ones on both bikes. All I know, is that I haven't had a flat since... 3 years and 6 years.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura