Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: August Riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sounds like you're back to your usual great form, Emily. Glad to hear it.

As for me, I'm not piling up the road miles, since my daily riding is always trail riding with some road riding thrown in every other day or two. I'm okay with that. I think it's a better match for me, given my age, than trying to do a lot long distance stuff. Riding for an hour or a bit more, every day, rather than doing the big rides, seems to keep my old bike injuries from flaring up.

Commuted on Monday (5.5 milesRT, and that's with adding extra) and today I did a slightly different version of the ride I did 2 weeks ago, 20 miles, instead of 21. Humid out, but decreasing humidity. We are going up to Newburyport for the weekend. Will probably bring bikes, but the focus won't be on riding. Weather looks iffy on Saturday, so maybe a shorter ride Saturday morning. Sunday looks like a beach day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We did do a 22 mile ride on Saturday afternoon, starting at the Air B&B we rented in Newburyport, meandering through Newbury, Rowley, Byfield, and Georgetown. I've ridden some in this coastal-rural area of MA, but this ride had maybe 2 or 3 streets that seemed familiar. Mostly farms, homes, marshes, and the Ipswich River. The ride is sort of flat, but with a lot of false flats, which are not my favorite, and some little rollers. It started out very humid and cloudy, ended up sunny, with a stiff breeze, and humidity going down. Saw lots of cyclists. It was nice to ride somewhere different, but close enough that we could do it as a day trip. We got back, walked into town and had a late lunch, followed by more walking. Today, we went to the beach early in the morning, and left for home around 1:00.
    Probably ride in the early AM and then commute to work, around 9:00. The only day I have free to ride, is probably going to rain this week.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Super hot and sweaty, of course; this is Florida in the summer! Still, I'm not complaining; it's just great to be back out on the bike!
    I know that feeling!...and about the heat, hey, you're on the wrong coast low 70's with an ocean breeze for me.....We rode the bike path to Redondo Beach and did some climbing in the hills above it. Just 45 miles but my hardest ride in 9 months. Felt good to feel and do a harder effort…....

and since my taste is getting back to normal and as a reward for the ride...we ate white chocolate bread pudding with caramel and caramelized banana’s watching this view on the way back

eta...Been enjoying some long late night/very early morning rollerblading on the bike paths. That also has helped to strengthen my muscles and build endurance.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 08-21-2017 at 09:40 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I did a 5:15AM "dark ride" with DH this morning. Despite the fact we use our rear and front lights in the daylight, riding behind him in the dark almost blinded me! I had to ask him to stop and put it on a different flash setting. We only went 10 miles, but it involved a hill and at that time of the morning I am not too zippy. DH just wanted to get done and I tend to be slow and calmer in the early morning. It was nice and cool, and it's interesting to feel the changes in temperature as we go by farmland vs homes, low lying areas, etc.
    There's a stop light about 3/4 a mile from our home. It turns from flashing to regular at 6 AM and one time I actually was riding through the intersection right at 6 when it changed. We missed it this morning by 5-6 minutes, but it's a stupid fun thing to try and do again.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    I know that feeling!...and about the heat, hey, you're on the wrong coast low 70's with an ocean breeze for me.....We rode the bike path to Redondo Beach and did some climbing in the hills above it. Just 45 miles but my hardest ride in 9 months. Felt good to feel and do a harder effort…....

and since my taste is getting back to normal and as a reward for the ride...we ate white chocolate bread pudding with caramel and caramelized banana’s watching this view on the way back ...
    YUM! That sounds absolutely amazing, and a well-deserved reward for your efforts! But "Just" 45 miles?? That's a lot of miles. I can't even remember the last time I rode that far. Right now, I'm delighted with 30. Don't knock yourself down. You're doing amazingly, especially considering what you're coming back from. But even if you weren't, 45 miles is a good ride!

You're right, though, I am on the wrong coast if I wanted to avoid heat and humidity. However, DH loves it (crazy boy!), and it's far more affordable here -- both RV parks and orthodontia!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Crankin, I'll have to give you credit for getting out that early to ride. I had no choice to get out and ride that early when I was commuting, but now that we're retired, no thanks.

Plus one to what Emily says, Rebecca. It's been a long time when a 40 plus mile ride was "just" a ride for me. Oh, I still have it in me, but have gotten so wrapped up in trail riding and doing improvements on my trials, this summer, that breaking loose for a long 40 plus mile ride hasn't tempted me much. By the way, that beach path looks like a lovely place to ride.

Been doing some upgrades on my trails, all summer, to smooth out some of the worst "tooth rattling" spots and sections, but it's been seriously heavy labor with digging, chopping, lifting and so on, all right at the edge of my physical capabilities, sometimes four or five hours at a time with me being so tired I can barely walk back to the house. Bill can't help, either, because of his disabilities. It's been a labor of love, yes, but my body is telling me I'm overdoing it. Not good. Never figured my retirement years would be heavy labor years. Really need to back off this kind of physical activity.

Bill is involved in a wellness group that is having their annual meeting in San Diego, in September, so while he's tied up in meetings, looks like I'll be renting a bike and riding in the heat and southern sun, again, this year. I am so NOT ready for that change in climate. This summer has been on the cool and wet side for us, plus most of my riding has been on the trail bikes back in the trees, out of a lot of direct hot sun. Not too crazy about leaving my beloved north woods, again, and visiting the big city, but it is important for him, so I'll not complain.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 08-22-2017 at 08:29 AM.

The September sun in San Diego is nothing like Florida. It will be cool and foggy in the morning, then clear, dry, and sunny until sunset. Perfect riding conditions.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I got to go ride in Denver with my brother a couple weeks ago - nice 77 mile ride. :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	denver.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	18316
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles

Catching up... yay to Emily and Rebecca for getting back out there. I absolutely love that photo, Rebecca. I know folks who really like the Di2 shifters, Crankin, and I hope they work out for you. I've never had anyone behind me on night rides -- I wonder if my rear light is too bright for anyone to follow closely? I have been told that it's very visible from a distance on rainy days.

I got in a few good rides earlier this month. One was a route that I planned and led for the bike club, a mix of favorite roads and a few new ones in rural northern Maryland. The weather was perfect, not at all hot, which is important in farmland where shady trees are few and far between. I also did a couple of night rides in which I experimented with a new route... in the dark, in an area with confusing street names (like 22nd St followed by 22nd Rd) and some missing road signs. So I was happy to only make a few wrong turns, and I knew the general area well enough to never truly get lost. Then we had the annual club picnic, which was fun and on a day with more perfect summer weather, but I think I started out too fast because the torn tendon in my ankle was hurting quite a bit. That was not cool.

Then I found out that I (and all of my co-workers) have been furloughed at work, required to take 2 weeks off between now and Sept 30 due to a funding cut at the end of our client's fiscal year. I was already planning a weekend trip to visit family in NY, so I made it a 6-day trip instead. I figured my ankle would appreciate a few days of rest from bike rides and walking around the office. It was a fun trip, and I was happy to watch the eclipse (~70% totality on Long Island with just a few light clouds) with my parents and nephew.

I will try the new night ride route again in a couple of days, and am planning a ride on Sunday that does not have too many hills. Hopefully my ankle will be okay as long as I ride a moderate pace.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks for the info, Crankin. Encouraging.

No trail repair work, today. Pretty much decided to mothball that kind of work for this summer. Did a lot of trail riding, today, though. 13 plus miles of laps on my backyard trails with a section of leg burner climbs on every lap. Really good workout.

Windy, today, and noticed a lot of leaves falling, some of which had a little color. Is it that time of year, already? Actually, it's getting close for us. September is our color month. By the end of the month in a normal year, the leaves are mostly gone. My summer is almost over. Sigh!

I've seen a few red maple leaves on the ground, but this always happens in August. Our peak color isn't until October.
    I did a group ride today, which was a little weird. I rode 4.5 miles to the start; the ride itself was a little over 25 miles. It was a smaller group, so my friend, Jack, who was leading, decided we didn't need to use the human arrow system and we would all stay together. But, he went really, really slowly, which meant I had to keep my focus laser sharp, especially since I don't trust some of these riders and I am not quite as nimble on my Guru. I basically stayed behind him... we had a thunderstorm last night, which cleared out the 90 degree temps and humidity. It is still getting drier out, but it felt wonderful. We are in for a long stretch of dry, "fall like" weather, with highs in the 70s, and I cannot wait.
    My total was 31.5 miles, but I am ready to throw my GPS against a wall. Whenever I download a course, particularly one that was not done by my DH, I don't get any written cues, just a map! Now, this doesn't matter when I actually know where I am, like today, but that is not always the case. Sometimes it will start working part way through the ride. So, DH reloaded all of the software, or something similar Sunday, as in addition, it only picked 6 of my 22 miles when following a course that day. It got all of my miles today, but it's not showing my elapsed milage or speed when I am on a course. It does show it when I just have it on. This part may have something to do with the sensor on my Guru, but the other thing (not giving written cues) has been going on since I got this one as a hand me down, 2 years ago. It's about 4-5 years old. Grrrr.
    North woods, it might be hot (80s) in the afternon in San Diego, but if you are anywhere close to the ocean, it is significantly cooler. My family lives inland, about 10 miles, and it's always 10-20 degrees hotter.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

NO riding for me this week...wahhhh!

Monday and Tuesday were taken up with orthodontic and dental appointments, and I woke up yesterday morning with the tell-tale scratchy through and congestion of a cold. So, I'm just taking it easy in hopes of getting well quickly and calling this week a total wash. Oh well, there will be many more rides ahead, and it's so blinking hot and humid anyway I'm not entirely upset about missing out on riding this week.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I agree on not riding when a cold is coming on, Emily. From experience, riding can make it worse. Rest up.

Bill and I recently purchased a bike rack for the Toyota so that he could join me on some of my area trails and gravel/sand roads. Due to disabilities, he can't sit for the long times it takes to ride out to these trails, but using the car to get there, he can join me on the shorter rides. Today, was a five mile jaunt on my favorite gnarly sand road and we used it to pick some blackberries, which are plentiful along this road.

This mostly sand road can vary, tremendously, in its condition for bicycling, but even at its best, anything less than 3" tires is going to be impossible in sections. It gets pounded by ATV traffic and since no one lives along it's 7 mile length, it receives minimal maintenance. Anymore, I just grab a fat bike, usually my beloved Pugsley, to take the guesswork out of it. Got lucky, today, though, because a road grader has recently done some work. Best I've seen it, yet. Still no place for a skinny tire bike, though.

My Pugs stops to pick some berries.

While Bill was busy picking berries, I did sneak off down a snowmobile trail that was absolutely fat bike, only, country. Fun, fun, fun.

Heading back to the car with a load of blackberries and a nice ride under our belt.

How sweet they are!

thanks for the nice comments ....feel better soon emily!!!....and hey, i said 45 miles and the climbing was HARD I've got two months to get ready for the 3 day 200 mile west coast tour de pink. The ride starts about 30 miles away (on the east side of the santa monica mountains), goes north through oxnard and santa barbara and the last day actually ends coming south on the coast to right here at the beach. I haven't done a training plan for awhile but i've enjoyed putting one together for this ride. Strength willing i'll do the whole ride, which is better than thinking perhaps one day of it a couple of months ago. I'll be happy though with however far i ride and just showing solidarity with other survivors

eta nwg...such wonderful riding you do.....and blackberry galette ftw!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpony View Post
    I got to go ride in Denver with my brother a couple weeks ago - nice 77 mile ride. :-)
    did you ride the regional bike trails there? I've heard they are doing some good work on their bicycling infrastructure in the city too.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 08-24-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron