Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: August Riding

August Riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

I took a pretty nice 21.5 mile ride by myself this morning, before some really strong thunderstorms and hail moved in this afternoon. In fact, still going on.
    Went out about 9:30, when it was humid, but not so hot, and partly cloudy. I knew I wanted to ride west, but since i was on the edge of rush hour, I kind of decided my ride would be dependent on traffic and traffic lights, in the beginning of the ride. My route was not anything special, but I just don't usually go this way when I am by myself. Had several polite drivers wave me on in spots, as well as a few spots where I usually have to stop and wait, but there was no traffic. There was a detour as I was getting into West Acton, and I discovered a that the back of an elementary school where we start some of our group rides has a port a potty and some parking. Usually, we park in the front and if someone needs a bathroom, it's a block away. It got progressively cloudier as my ride went on, there was breeze, and it was shady, too. However, if I stopped, it felt oppressive.
    Felt good when I got home, and then spent the afternoon with my DIL, making a vegan chocolate cake for my granddaughter's first birthday, as we just found out she has a dairy allergy.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

After not riding at all, other than on the trainer, since my accident on April 21, I am getting very excited to get back out there. Although it's not a great time of year to head to Florida, I have to pick a place to stay for a year or more for my orthodontia, so we're heading back to Winter Garden on Sunday (from NC). So, early next week I should be able to ride outside again at last. Can't wait! It's gonna be hot and humid, and we'll have to get going early to beat the heat and the nearly daily t-storms, but I am so excited to be able to ride again.

Will be interested to see how it goes after such a looooooong break!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Good luck, Emily. You can deal with the heat for one season and perhaps you can get away for a couple of weeks if it goes into next summer. I only had to see the dentist once a month at the end.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yay Emily!!

A dairy allergy for a baby... that can present a challenge. Do they think she might grow out of it? Either way, happy birthday granddaughter!!

I was going to go out and ride after work tonight but my ankle has been bothering me and there's been a chance of pop-up thunderstorms. So I'm going to wait until tomorrow night. In the meantime I'm trying to plan a ride for Sunday. The weather looks like it will be great, not too hot at all, so it will be a good chance to ride in rural northern Maryland (there's no shade for miles up there so it's not good on a very hot day). I had a route all ready to go, but then learned that the road in front of the park where it starts is closed for construction until January. So now I'm working on rerouting it from a different starting point.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Yup, and there is a slight possibility that she has a soy allergy, too. Sigh... she inherited all of the bad stuff from my family. She's going to have to drink almond milk. Still on breast milk. Anyway, she went to the allergist Monday, so the dairy thing is official. They do think she may outgrow it, but only time will tell. She has an Epi-pen. She barely eats to begin with. My son looked like a concentration camp survivor between ages 3 and 6, because of his pickiness. She does not, she is just very little. I think it's behavioral. She actually pushes you away if you try to feed her. However, if you just ignore her, she will start eating, as long as it's something she likes. I think they will have their hands full with this one. She is very sweet, but fierce and determined as hell.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Good luck, Emily. You can deal with the heat for one season and perhaps you can get away for a couple of weeks if it goes into next summer. I only had to see the dentist once a month at the end.
    Yes, it totally depends on the ortho, type of braces, etc. I'm on a couple of ortho boards, and some people are only going in every 6-8 weeks. That would still give us time for some traveling! Once a month appointments would limit our options a bit, but not totally. And I'll be having to make semi-frequent trips to NC (unfortunately the part of it where we are and cycling is terrible) to visit my mother. She needs a lot of help now with my step-father's poor health and her being 82. I feel guilty even leaving her, but we've been here for over 3 months now and have gotten a lot of things squared away and where they will be easier for her between my visits.

NY, so sorry your ankle is still bothering you. You've been dealing with that for awhile!
    Emily

Emily, that is wonderful news, just wonderful. I am happy for you. You'll do fine in that Florida heat. You've done it before. Plus, you'll need to keep rides short to get back into shape, anyway. Best of luck and keep us posted.

August is a transition month for us, up here. We go from our short summer season into a more fall like weather pattern by the end of the month. Already cooling down, it seems. Highs in the 60s, today and rain. It's a bitter/sweet thing for me. I ride all year long, even in the snow, as most of you know, but I do enjoy my short summer riding season. Nice not to have to bundle up and just ride with a top and bike shorts.

NY, I've been tuning the new Krampus to get it where I want, including the seat. You mentioned the seat shape in the July thread and I've also noticed the wide variety of seat shapes on some WSD saddles. Some do have more of a dome shape on top and some are flatter. I find the dome shaped saddles to be trickier to adjust. Not sure why that dome shape is there. Maybe it's a performance thing. I don't know. Anyway, best of luck.

Did the same 25 mile ride as last Friday, but it was just me and Jack, the other leader. No one showed up. He did change the end, but it was really hot and humid, and my stomach was reacting to some red onion I ate last night... so I didn't want to do the extra 5 miles. We both agreed to just go back to the start, as he was ready to go to the senior center and play pool! Without the stress of keeping up with the group, I actually had a faster average than the other times I've done this repeating ride.
    Despite the heat and my stomach, I am glad I went. Tomorrow is my granddaughter's first birthday party, so unless I am organized and do a short ride in the AM, before we go and before it starts raining, we will be doing a long and hilly ride on Sunday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Emily, that is wonderful news, just wonderful. I am happy for you. You'll do fine in that Florida heat. You've done it before. Plus, you'll need to keep rides short to get back into shape, anyway. Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Thanks, NWG! Fortunately, I've gotten pretty used to heat and humidity again in NC this summer, though this last week has been much nicer than usual (lower humidity and temps -- I even wore a light fleece to walk my dog a couple of mornings, unheard of for here this time of year!!) But you're totally right that I will have to ease back into rides. I have been riding the trainer on my MTB but have managed no more than 45 minutes once a week, as it's so bloody boring, plus a pain to set up in our motorhome. It's just enough to keep me from getting serious saddle sore when I start back to riding in Florida. Hoping to get out on the trail sometime in the coming week. A bit nervous -- but excited too!
    Emily

You can do it, Emily, if anyone can. Go for it, girl.

Added the simpler Jones Bend H-bar to the Krampus and love it. Gets me all my favorite hand positions and the same comfortable ride as the standard H-bar, but with less weight. Makes the Kranmpus the long-distance rider I hoped it would be.

Thanks Emily and NWG. The ankle saga continues, unfortunately. Long story short, an MRI showed that the tendon we thought was hurting is actually fine, but the one next to it is torn, and some of the PT exercises were making it worse. Not sure what the next step is. And as for domed saddles, they make no sense to me -- the shape just makes the effective saddle width smaller. Anyway.

This past week we had heavy thunderstorms popping up in the afternoons, somewhat unpredictably. The ultimate lesson for me was: prepare for a post-work bike ride, get rained out; prepare for either a bike ride or a workout at the gym, it won't rain so the bike ride is on. It took until Friday for me to learn this lesson, however, and even then I wasn't sure if I'd get soaked near the end of the ride or not. Just in case, I plotted a shorter route than usual, building on the improvised short route that I did last week when I was worried that my newly-repaired flat tire would go flat again. On paper it was 11 miles; near the end I decided the rain chances had dropped enough to loop around and do the last part of the ride a second time. Total distance was just under 16 miles. It was warm, very humid and very breezy bordering on windy at the end.

Afterwards I took advantage of the fact that I had my gym clothes with me -- I changed from bike shorts to gym shorts (but kept on my loose-fitting sleeveless bike jersey) and stopped at Target on the way home to pick up a few things. I had serious helmet hair and I don't think I smelled very good but oh well.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Our weather was similar this week, NY.
    I decided to walk yesterday morning. Good thing I went out when I did, as it started raining heavily about 30 min. after I returned. Oy, we had a lot of stuff to bring to my son's for the birthday, in the rain, and I *forgot* the damn vegan cake! I felt really, really badly. My DIL ran out to a bakery and got some great chocolate cake, but my granddaughter broke out in hives from just a taste of the frosting. A wash and some prescription cortisone cream cleared it up in minutes, though. I sliced it up when we got home and froze it and will bring it to them next week.
    Today we did a lovely 30 mile ride, locally. DH was feeling a bit off, so he did not want to do a 50+ mile hilly ride. So, we went through like 5 towns, without being more than 10-12 miles from home, including some climbing. One of the roads is designated as a scenic bikeway; we used to ride on it a lot before I moved to the condo. We stopped at a large Mobil station/convenience store that has a patio with tables, by a bike path and on a pond we sometimes swim at. First, we were going to eat elsewhere, but I got hungry very suddenly. It was nice. It was quite cool, 72 and windy, and almost fall feeling in the shade, until we got back into Concord. As we rode into Concord Center, the temperature went up about 6-8 degrees and the sun came out more. So many more cars, too. I mean we are not talking about Boston here, but despite the fact that parts of my town are rural and farm-like, it has become noticeably more city like in traffic around the 2 town centers. Otherwise, it was really quiet out on the roads.
    With a temperature of 72-78 and low humidity, couldn't ask for a more perfect day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yesterday I did my first "dark" ride, in quite a long time. Maybe since last fall. I went out at 5:15 am, it was just starting to get light, but I still used my big, powerful light. I rode out on a flat road and then decided to ride south on another flattish road. At the end of that, I had a choice. Go straight, up a longer hill and back the way I came, make a sketchy left turn on a curve and go up a smaller hill, left across a road that would busy with traffic going toward Boston, or ride more through some country roads and be out longer than I wanted to be. I chose the second one, and I did have to wait a few minutes to make a left across Rt 117, with a steady stream of cars. Other than this, it was quiet. Some mist/low hanging fog as I rode through a golf course and other valley type areas. About 58 degrees, and I was dressed correctly for once. I did see a couple riding in the other direction nearer to the beginning of my ride. They had crappy little lights and it was still more dark than light out when I saw them. I've been using a front light all of the time for about 3 years and it makes such a difference in how cars react. My big light is as good as a car and has several settings. I only use this in the dark, or in winter. I have a light with less lumens I use most of the other time.
    I love riding at this time of day, but this ride is more rural than what I could do when I lived on the other side of town. It was fun to see the town waking up in the shopping area, as well as seeing lots of other cyclists who were as nuts as I am to get up and ride at 5 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Thanks, Crankin. Brings back some pleasant memories of commuting in my Chicago suburb days. Much of the year, it was in the dark, since I was one of the first into work. Very different, kind of peaceful world in busy urban and suburban areas that early in the morning. I remember seeing coyotes, fox, lots of deer, raccoons right along main street. Yeah, now and then I'd see other commuters on a bike, some even with no lights or any reflective clothing. Just crazy. I suspect some of these were commuting on a bike out of economic necessity and I felt their pain, but no light at all?

Been a good week for my riding. Most of it's been a daily combo ride of pavement, gravel and single track, averaging about 25 miles on the Krampus and the Krampus handled them all very well. Can't help but think the Krampus would have made a great commuting bike, back in the day, but that was just before the big tire craze hit the bike world. Standard 29ers were the radical new thing at the time. Thought I was going big at the time with those old 26x2" MTB wheels. Things sure have changed.

Still have my two 26" MTBs that I used for commuting, though, and still ride them. I think standard 26" MTBs still have their place for trail work and even some road riding. They got me through a couple of Chicago area winters and never let me down. I know the industry is making an all out effort to replace the 26" wheels with the 27.5" wheels as the industry standard, but I hope they don't forget the good old 26". Be a real shame.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 08-08-2017 at 07:33 AM.

I rode! I rode! I rode!

Pardon the excitement, but since I haven't ridden (other than a few trainer rides) since my crash on April 21, it was a big day for me. Very hot and humid since we're back in Florida, but there's a reasonable amount of shade on the bike path, and so long as I kept moving, the breeze I created made it tolerable, and plenty of cold water helped too. Had a great time, managed 24 miles (a bit more than I'd expected). Mentally, it was just great to get out again for both me and DH, who was going pretty crazy without riding.

This is a short stretch of busy road we have to ride to get back to the campground after riding the trail. Fortunately, there is a bike lane, and with the stoplights, sometimes you can get all the way without being passed if you time it right. I didn't quite manage that today, but almost! Cars are gaining on me here....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0616_01.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	18313

And back at our motorhome:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0619_01.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	18314

Thanks for all the support during this tough time, gals of TE. I really do appreciate it!
    Emily