Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need to replace old Cannondale adventure

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey,
    I am looking to replace my old hybrid bike Cannondale Adventure. I bought it in 2012 and rode it almost every day. It started causing troubles during past few weeks, despite regular services. I think I should go and buy a new one.
    I ride 10 - 11 KM daily between home and work. Occasionally, I go for adventure free bike rides with some fellow riders which can be like a 30 - 50KM ride. So I guess that will make my required bike a hard working one. I rarely go off road, but prefer hybrid.
    I don't know much about the newer brands and models. So if anyone could suggest me some bikes models, it'll be really useful. Do you think the newer model of Cannondale Adventure hybrid bike will be a good replacement or are there any better models out there? No brand preference, any good model suggestions will do just fine.
    Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

What kind of issues on your old Cannondale? If you really like the bike and it's doing a good job for you, repairing is usually cost effective unless it's a frame issue.

I totally agree with what Sheila says about the old step through frame. That's a very old and outdated design dating back to the days when women wore skirts while they rode. Very poor choice for any distance riding.

I'd also try to find a bike with at least a 9 speed gear cluster or, even better a 10 or 11. Those old 8 speed gear cluster bikes are already outdated. Parts and servicing will be limited. I'm surprised anyone is still selling bikes with them.

That Troll is a good choice. As close as you can get to a do everything bike. It's a bombproof bike with good components and that frame would last you forever. Those 2.5" tires and steel frame would do more for riding comfort than those cheap front suspension forks usually found on these hybrids. Another big plus is the gearing to handle any hill you might encounter and should you decide to go off pavement, you'd also have appropriate gearing. I have that same handlebar on one of my bikes and love it. Lots of hand positions. Very comfy to use. More expensive, bike, of course, but it won't be falling apart on you in a few years.

Thank you guys!
    Lots of suggestions and I will make sure to test as much as I could.
    When I bought it, I thought hybrid is useful for any surface and any distance. Looks like I was wrong.
    Now I am interested in non-hybrids as long as fits my riding routine.
    By the way that "Troll" looks good. I will definitely give a test ride.
    Thanks again Muirenn and north woods gal

Any updates on this? FWIW, I have a salsa vaya that I use as my commuter bike -- 13 mile each way. I love it -- I also use it for bike camping and touring. It's an amazing bike.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Plus one on the Vaya. Been tempted a time or two to get one. Hey, it's a steel bike and a great value to boot. Classic design all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Plus 2. The Vaya is perfect.
    Plus 3 on the Vaya.

Also love my Soma Buena Vista mixte. Don't be put off by the step through, girly frame. It's a light, nimble, fast bike. Braze ons for racks and fenders make it up for anything; commute and touring. Fat tires fit fine so it's great for gravel or road. If I was forced at gun point or sword to thin the herd to one bike, I'd keep this. Don't tell my Italian hand made, full custom, made for me by the guy whose name goes on the frame road bike but .... the Soma has a comparable ride at about a 5th the price depending on what parts you slap on it.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/