Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need to replace old Cannondale adventure

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey,
    I am looking to replace my old hybrid bike Cannondale Adventure. I bought it in 2012 and rode it almost every day. It started causing troubles during past few weeks, despite regular services. I think I should go and buy a new one.
    I ride 10 - 11 KM daily between home and work. Occasionally, I go for adventure free bike rides with some fellow riders which can be like a 30 - 50KM ride. So I guess that will make my required bike a hard working one. I rarely go off road, but prefer hybrid.
    I don't know much about the newer brands and models. So if anyone could suggest me some bikes models, it'll be really useful. Do you think the newer model of Cannondale Adventure hybrid bike will be a good replacement or are there any better models out there? No brand preference, any good model suggestions will do just fine.
    Thanks!

You need to test-ride as many different brands as are available and see which feels the best. Every bike and every rider are different.

I would suggest trying some hybrids that are not step-through, as those frames tend to flex more, and a lot of flex reduces power transfer, and makes is more laborious to pedal, and slows the rider. Maybe a Cannondale Quick. Haven't heard of anyone who didn't like them. It's a hybrid with a rigid fork, and the framesets and wheels are lighter and designed for more agility.

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Pro...b-12d84de1e080

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Pro...6-c4f86e6e2b20

The Specialized Vita might be good to try, it's similar. The Jamis Coda is considered a flat-bar road bike, but it has a lot of characteristics similar to a hybrid (it's a steel street bike, according to Jamis). These are all bikes that come up over and over on TE as fast, easy hybrids.

Any interest in a non-hybrid 'do anything' bike? An actual on/off road adventure bike? Something like an on-off road touring bike would be really comfortable. Hybrids are not really designed for those distances, to be honest. That may be why you are having problems with what is a fairly new bike.

Maybe this? The Troll is easy to ride on or off-road, and you can attach bags and such to the frame, so it's carrying capacity is high.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/troll

The Ogre is basically the same as the Troll, but with larger wheels (29" versus 26").

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/ogre

Or maybe a Salsa Vaya? That bike sounds perfect for what you describe. I know it resembles a road bike, but it's really not. And don't let the drop bars scare you, they are not the classic type found on a road bike, but splayed outwards and easy to grasp, and rather high up, so you get to sit up quite a lot. The Claris model (Claris drivetrain), retails for $1099.00, which isn't too far off from the bike you linked to. Depends on budget, of course. (The Salsa will be lighter and 'easier' than the two Surlys, it would be my choice. Also much higher quality than a hybrid, but so would the Surlys).

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya/

Just a couple of suggestions. The rides you describe need something more long range, I'm thinking. A couple years ago, a TE member had an old Hollywood, step through bike from the 1960's. She'd just gotten it for very cheap, and was a new rider. She went looking for a replacement, and after trying a lot of bikes, ended up on a Surly Ogre.

Remember that with any bike, you can change out the tires for a different tread. More aggressive, or nubbly tread tends to be most efficient offroad, and finer tread gives less rolling resistance, and easier on the road. The stock tires on the Vaya sound like a good starting point for the riding preferences you describe. Not sure about the tires on the Ogre and Troll, they look more off-road friendly to me.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 07-26-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Welcome to the forum.

What kind of issues on your old Cannondale? If you really like the bike and it's doing a good job for you, repairing is usually cost effective unless it's a frame issue.

I totally agree with what Sheila says about the old step through frame. That's a very old and outdated design dating back to the days when women wore skirts while they rode. Very poor choice for any distance riding.

I'd also try to find a bike with at least a 9 speed gear cluster or, even better a 10 or 11. Those old 8 speed gear cluster bikes are already outdated. Parts and servicing will be limited. I'm surprised anyone is still selling bikes with them.

That Troll is a good choice. As close as you can get to a do everything bike. It's a bombproof bike with good components and that frame would last you forever. Those 2.5" tires and steel frame would do more for riding comfort than those cheap front suspension forks usually found on these hybrids. Another big plus is the gearing to handle any hill you might encounter and should you decide to go off pavement, you'd also have appropriate gearing. I have that same handlebar on one of my bikes and love it. Lots of hand positions. Very comfy to use. More expensive, bike, of course, but it won't be falling apart on you in a few years.

Same handlebars on my Surly Krampus. Very comfortable, if intimidating. They are also designed to carry bike-packing bags.

One other point. You ride a lot. I suspect your current bike actually makes that harder. People who ride a lot are more efficient on bikes that don't fall into the hybrid class. Were you a beginner when you got it?

FYI, if you look at my signature, my Zurich Le Monde is a 2002 model, Pinarello is a 2012, CAADX (cannondale) is a 2013, and the Krampus is a 2015. None will wear out with normal wear and tear over less than, I don't know, the Le Monde is 15 years old, and pristine. I bought it from Craigslist from the original owner, and he rode it a lot. Two of my bikes are steel framed. The Le Monde and the Krampus. Can't recommend that enough for comfort. Frame is more important than suspension. And the forks on lower end mountain bikes and hybrids are little more than pogo sticks. Don't really absorb the way suspension is meant to.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 07-26-2017 at 07:12 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Thank you guys!
    Lots of suggestions and I will make sure to test as much as I could.
    When I bought it, I thought hybrid is useful for any surface and any distance. Looks like I was wrong.
    Now I am interested in non-hybrids as long as fits my riding routine.
    By the way that "Troll" looks good. I will definitely give a test ride.
    Thanks again Muirenn and north woods gal

Nice!

Be sure to post updates of the search. You should try carefully and ask a lot of questions.

Are you outside the U.S.? I ask since you mentioned Km instead of miles. Wondering about brand availability.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Any updates on this? FWIW, I have a salsa vaya that I use as my commuter bike -- 13 mile each way. I love it -- I also use it for bike camping and touring. It's an amazing bike.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Plus one on the Vaya. Been tempted a time or two to get one. Hey, it's a steel bike and a great value to boot. Classic design all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Plus one on the Vaya. Been tempted a time or two to get one. Hey, it's a steel bike and a great value to boot. Classic design all the way.
    Plus 2. The Vaya is perfect.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Plus 2. The Vaya is perfect.
    Plus 3 on the Vaya.

Also love my Soma Buena Vista mixte. Don't be put off by the step through, girly frame. It's a light, nimble, fast bike. Braze ons for racks and fenders make it up for anything; commute and touring. Fat tires fit fine so it's great for gravel or road. If I was forced at gun point or sword to thin the herd to one bike, I'd keep this. Don't tell my Italian hand made, full custom, made for me by the guy whose name goes on the frame road bike but .... the Soma has a comparable ride at about a 5th the price depending on what parts you slap on it.
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/