Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My Ride of a Lifetime, The Baja Divide

To disable ads, please log-in.

Pinch me! I think this is actually coming together. The stars are lining up and the DH and I are moving forward with plans to ride the Baja Divide in November and December. 1700 miles of dirt roads down the Baja peninsula. Many, many details to work out so looking for suggestions. Here is the link to the website/blog
    decisions:
    1. which direction should we travel -if we go south isn't it all down hill
    2.flying logistics with plus tire bikes
    3. sleeping - new lighter bags are on the list
    4. water - one section says carry 3 days worth - yikes
    5. At least our tires are now tubeless so that's one thing off the list
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

That would be a dream bikepack adventure for me, too. Rough and remote country on a plus sized bike (Surly ECR?). Doesn't get any better than that. Can I come?

I think I read a review of a similar, maybe shorter trip in Outside Magazine. They ran out of water one of the days. It's really isolated, though sounds fun.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

watched a great video yesterday on the baja divide website, he says at one point they had 26 liters of water on their bikes for two people, that is almost 7 gallons, YIKES. So far I have
    2 - 40 oz klean canteens
    1- 32 oz naglene
    2 70 oz hydration bladders
    1 - 22 oz water bottle
    that is 8 liters of water.
    The Bike Hermit has a bit more carrying capacity but we haven't figured out how two people carry 27 liters...

If you have a few minutes watch the video. We added needle nose tires and glue to the list of gear.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Thanks for posting that video link Sky King. I had never heard of the Baja Divide ride. Having finished a supported Southern Tier tour in May, I can't help but envy your courage! What a challenging adventure you will be setting out on.
    Please post when you decide on the sleeping bags.... or might they be quilts? I'm in the midst of trying to decide which to buy myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wnyrider View Post
    Thanks for posting that video link Sky King. I had never heard of the Baja Divide ride. Having finished a supported Southern Tier tour in May, I can't help but envy your courage! What a challenging adventure you will be setting out on.
    Please post when you decide on the sleeping bags.... or might they be quilts? I'm in the midst of trying to decide which to buy myself.
    Yes, thinking quilts. My sleeping bag is a 20 degree bag and bulkier than I'd like for this trip, plus it will be warm. Of course going lighter means $$$. I have a Costco down blanket I have seriously considered sewing some flaps on to convert to a "quilt" one of my friends did that but she is barely 5' tall and I am 5'5" so not sure it would work for me. I have used the down blanket with my silk liner on a couple of trips and it does work. Decision, decisons
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

that baja divide ride looks like a wonderful challenging trip Sky....with incredibly beautiful country, views and good people. Great website too!!!! Fly into LAX and I'll take you two to a great dinner, our place to spend the night and drive you and your gear to san diego!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Wow looks really tough...nearly all off-road riding with gear on that terrain. http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/baja-divide-film/ My best wishes for a glorious but safe trip, Sky King.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Hoping it will be not much different than the Owyhee Desert rides we do. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1015294.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	18315
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Can't say how much different, but I'd be willing to bet that what you have learned on those Owyhee rides will be put to good use. That's some pretty rough country, too. Would love to turn one of my fat bikes loose in either country.

No we didnt get kidnapped in baja i have many excuses for not updating but hope to get back into the habit of connecting with virtual biking friends. Wow, what an adventure it was, took turns that we hadnt really anticipated. I wrote this blog post for bike touring news a few months ago. In the post is the link to the bike hermits crazy guy journal too. Now i am back in boise, staying with the dd recuperating from my total knee repacement (became clear in the baja i could not put off any longer) the bike hermit is still hanging in the desert waiting for better weather here. Of couse it snowed today, ugh. Anyhow here is a short write up of our amazing adventure. http://biketouringnews.com/touring-b...y-bikes/lookin
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Wonderful write up, and yes, you established from the beginning to not exceed your limits. I know it's all about proving how much you do and how you can push yourself, but listening to that inner voice is a real "thing." Baja is beautiful and you saw more than most people ever will. When you are worried about safety, not from other people, but from dehydration, hunger, or even getting sleep, it's not fun and certainly not an endurance contest. I often read things about people running endurance races, where they seem to be bragging about spending hours puking and wracked with stomach cramps. I see these as warning signs, not as fun. So, I think you are correct, one rarely sees the negative written about trips such as yours. I'm glad you had the sense to listen to your brain and gut and still have an incredible experience.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks, i agree. We know some people in their late 60's who had to switch to electric assit because they destroyed their hearts doing endurance.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

OMG, you did it! What an adventure! What memories you'll always have. You lived a dream for me. Thank you so much for sharing. Have tp go back and read that, again. Thank-you. Be back with some questions.