Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Keo Cleats wearing down

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone use Look Keo Cleats (grey)?

I just put a new set of cleats on a few months ago. The cleats are still in good shape and don't need to be replaced. However, there is a small non skid rubber strip towards the top of the cleat that has worn down very quickly. This also happened on my last set pretty fast. The cleats still clip in fine, but when I push off my foot that is on the ground, it will slip, because the non skid strip is basically gone.
    I'm trying to figure out if i can just replace that little strip, or maybe put some sort of substitute material in there.

The wear is really mostly on my right foot, because that's the one i unclip and put down first, so it gets more use I guess.

I do have cleat covers, but honestly, i don't walk around in my shoes much, and never use them.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to echo your frustration. Those little rubber bits are super short-lived.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I don't know about Look pedals, but for Speedplays, you can buy the rubber parts separately. I wear those out like crazy, even though I use my cleat covers every time I walk even a step. I especially wear down the ones on my left foot, the side I unclip from. DH keeps a supply ready to go.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The implementation of the grip strip doesn’t seem well thought out, well except for those making money off of replacement cleats. A friend, who likes the keo pedals, went to Look’s keo touring shoes with its recessed keo cleat after the same problem you’re experiencing, she also had a clipping in problem when the grip strip started to wear. No problems now either clipping in or walking with no need for cleat covers and with a long cleat life.

I use carnac shoes with a recessed cleat and they work well with my speedplay pedals both on and with walking comfort off the bike. I bought two pair, now on the second pair and wish i’d bought a third since they no longer are available.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to echo your frustration. Those little rubber bits are super short-lived.
    I looked on performance bikes website to see if the sold replacement strips but didn't see any . Maybe I'll try the look site directly tomorrow. Frustrating,!