Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: July riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

I helped lead our struggling Fri. morning series. The guy I lead with goes anyway, and the last few weeks, when I have not attended, he had one person. Today we had 2. It's the same ride every week. He mentioned that he had cut the end part off the past 2 weeks, since the one attendee was happy with 25 miles instead of 30, which we also did. The end of the ride is through a business park, a community college, and a VA campus... it's ok, but not that pretty. We are going to add the miles back in, with a prettier route.
    I've had some allergies, which seems to affect my cycling more than anything. But, I did the job as sweep, the other woman there was riding my speed, though I did lag a bit on a climb that came after a short and super steep climb. This ride is mostly shady, which is good, as even though it was only 77 when we left, in the full sun of the parking lot, it felt like 97. And, I was home by noon.
    Weather looks better for tomorrow. I may ride early in the AM, just a short one, before my granddaughter arrives.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Today DH and I rode out to Bolton Farms. Found out it is not quite 50 miles from our condo, as opposed to our house. We kind of knew this, and although we did not take the shortest way home after lunch, I think next time, we will do the 3 needed miles before lunch! It was a perfect New England day. Not hotter than 78 degrees and a dew point in the 50s. Also a breeze. The part of the ride before lunch is very hilly, with a long downhill right before the stop. After lunch, is also a climb, not so steep, but totally unshaded, so we've had many hot and uncomfortable rides up this part of the ride. It was a little quieter than usual on the roads today, both cars and cyclists. Everyone's at the beach, and it's the last weekend before the PMC. Most of the riders we saw were going the other way, in the beginning of the ride.
    Need to keep doing longer rides...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Has anyone else used 5 10s with flat pedal mountainbiking? I have a pair of freestyles, and have used them only a couple of times, because I hate them. I really do.they get stuck on the pins, and are annoying. I
    Keep looking st my feet when riding my Krampus on pavement. Any other random, stiff soles athletic shoes are perfect. Yeah, the 5 10's were a $110.00 mistake.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

No, have never tried the 510s, but have heard about them and considered giving them a try. Just never had any issues with the wide variety of shoes I use on all my flats. Thanks for the warning.

Took the Krampus for a pavement ride, yesterday. Did a total of 25 miles. 4 were gravel/sand, but all the rest pavement. Very comfy ride, kind of like a faster Pugsley. Definitely a capable shoulder riding bike like the Pugs, too. Nice to have as an option should I ever need detour or get off the road, quick.

Only issue was that the Krampus felt so much like the Pugsley that I kept reaching for those Jones Loop bars which weren't there (have them on the Pugs). Definitely need to add the Jones to the Krampus if I plan to do a lot of road work with it.

What are 510s?

The one time I rode my mountain bike with flat pedals, I wore my usual Shimano mountain bike shoes since the cleats are recessed.

So, catching up for July, I led a 49-mile ride on Sunday for the club. I used a route that someone else had devised and that I heard was popular, and reversed it for the sake of variety. It was okay, parts were very nice, but some of it used roads that are not my favorite for cycling due to the amount of traffic. We had perfect weather and a big turnout as a result, and everyone seemed to enjoy the ride. A couple of people slowed down quite a bit for the last 10 miles or so and since I was the sweep, I had to slow down too. This was only a problem because I was wearing shorts that apparently have been worn too many times, and they were causing some chafing. So I really was happy when we reached the end.

The new saddle was bothering me pretty much for the entire ride. The wide part of it has a domed shape, and I think this is what is causing the feeling of the nose being tilted up. I'm going to try lowering it a bit to see if that helps.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Yeah, no substitute for time in the saddle to prepare for a big ride like that. It's part of my bicycling regimen that needs a little work. One hour of trail riding, every day, is a good workout and very healthy, but that long distance stuff is another type of workout.

Been riding the Surly Krampus all week and switching back and forth with various bikes for the sake of comparison. The closest bike to the Krampus is my other 29+ rigid, my Trek Stashe. Okay, well, duh! Still, the two are surprisingly different. Shorter chain stays on the Trek, lighter frame and more XC geometry make it a more nimble, agile bike. You might expect a 29+ bike to be kind of clunky in the handling department, but not this one. Reminds me of my old classic 26" MTBs.

The Krampus, though, amazes me. With the new Knard tires, it's actually a slightly faster bike than the Trek on a straight run. Plenty agile, but not as twitchy as the Trek. Better climber in the steeps and easier to hop logs with it's trail geometry. And that steel? Oh, yeah, what a difference it makes on the rough stuff.

What is especially noticeable on the Krampus is its ability to track a straight line. This could be the result of it fitting me better than than the Trek, but it is the more stable bike. I used to ride the Trek on 6 to 10 miles of pavement to get to my favorite gravel and sand roads, but the Trek just felt like a mismatch on the pavement as in, what are we doing on this stuff? Get the Krampus out on a road, though, and it begs to cover some miles. I had originally hoped that the Krampus would give me a narrow tire, lighter version of the Pugsley for a do it all, utility bike and looks like I hit the jackpot. The Pugs will still get the call in extreme conditions or when things turn soft and the Pugs can be ridden in all four seasons, but the Krampus will take over for the longer rides until the snow falls.

Love the Pugs and now the Krampus, too.
    I agree about the Krampus. And I definitely bought the right bike by accident. Mine is very light, but the single speed drivetrain and
    Velocity Blunt wheel set probably accounts for that.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    What are 510s?

The one time I rode my mountain bike with flat pedals, I wore my usual Shimano mountain bike shoes since the cleats are recessed.

So, catching up for July, I led a 49-mile ride on Sunday for the club. I used a route that someone else had devised and that I heard was popular, and reversed it for the sake of variety. It was okay, parts were very nice, but some of it used roads that are not my favorite for cycling due to the amount of traffic. We had perfect weather and a big turnout as a result, and everyone seemed to enjoy the ride. A couple of people slowed down quite a bit for the last 10 miles or so and since I was the sweep, I had to slow down too. This was only a problem because I was wearing shorts that apparently have been worn too many times, and they were causing some chafing. So I really was happy when we reached the end.

The new saddle was bothering me pretty much for the entire ride. The wide part of it has a domed shape, and I think this is what is causing the feeling of the nose being tilted up. I'm going to try lowering it a bit to see if that helps.
    5!10s are flat pedal mountain bike shoes. A suggestion someone gave wasntombuy skate shoes instead, since they are essentially the same at a fraction of the price. They just don't work for me.
    http://www.fiveten.com/us

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Today DH and I rode out to Bolton Farms. Found out it is not quite 50 miles from our condo, as opposed to our house. We kind of knew this, and although we did not take the shortest way home after lunch, I think next time, we will do the 3 needed miles before lunch! It was a perfect New England day. Not hotter than 78 degrees and a dew point in the 50s. Also a breeze. The part of the ride before lunch is very hilly, with a long downhill right before the stop. After lunch, is also a climb, not so steep, but totally unshaded, so we've had many hot and uncomfortable rides up this part of the ride. It was a little quieter than usual on the roads today, both cars and cyclists. Everyone's at the beach, and it's the last weekend before the PMC. Most of the riders we saw were going the other way, in the beginning of the ride.
    Need to keep doing longer rides...
    I've gotten in the habit of short frequent rides lately. Not bad, but I need to ride more distances.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

On the shoes thing with flats, I also use some old clipless shoes without the cleats attached and they work fine, too.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    On the shoes thing with flats, I also use some old clipless shoes without the cleats attached and they work fine, too.
    I've thought of using my SPD mountain bike shoes, but didn't want to mess with the cleats. Use them with my CAADX. Another thing about the 5 10s is that my knees hurt after
    riding. Too sticky, I guess.

Sorry about all the typos, all. My eyesight just can't take editing on an iPhone.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!