Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Seeking opinions on bike to consider for lower back sensitivities

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies,
    I am in the process of "coaching" my husband into purchasing a new bike he can ride comfortably to improve his cardio. I have a 2015 Specialized Vita Elite and I love it for current use on paved bike paths - no roads for me we have too many crazies here. However, we are moving to NC mountains, and will have only neighborhood paved roads and gravel mountain trails to ride on (i.e.-VA Creeper Trail) - so no more smooth riding which means I may have to change bikes at some point. For his selection, the LBS we shopped today suggested a mountain bike style for him with front suspension, seat post suspension, and less forward bar/stem as he has lower back pain (degenerative disc), and is not very fit at the moment (225lbs at 5ft9in, age 57). He road tested a KHS?sp model and could feel every bump on the street in front of the shop. We went over to the sister shop $$$ where they suggested a Scott Aspect 930 with added adjustments of suspension seat post, and handlebars moved closer to help with getting him more upright and less strain on lower back. I am wondering what other considerations we should look into for the concern with lower back pain in avoiding jarring. For example, riding over speed bumps in a car can be very painful in sports suspension vehicle versus his Suburban. I am certain there are women out there who have lower back pain due to degenerative discs in the lower 5 who have found solutions which allow them to cycle comfortably and I am eager to hear opinions and experience so I can coach to be successful in finding a good bicycle style/fit match so I will have a partner to ride with when we move. Thank you
    It is a good day when you wake up - better if the sun is shining!

2015 Specialized Vita Elite Carbon disc 18 speed
    2016 KUAT Sherpa 2.0 2" - luv this baby!
    1985 Raleigh Marathon 12 speed is history as of 2017

Have you considered a recumbent bicycle or tricycle for him? They are more expensive, but sometimes good deals on used ones can be found on craigslist or ebay. I know he would want to test ride before buying to make sure it would work, but it seems like that would be a more comfortable solution for his back issues than an upright bike, even with suspension.

Where in Ashe County are you moving? My mother and step-dad own a vacation cabin outside of Jefferson/Lansing, and my DH and I own the lot next door, right on the North Fork of the New River. Looks like we're going to have to sell soon, as my step-dad is in failing health.

We have had many fun times there over the years and love the Virginia Creeper Trail. That's the only place we've ridden there other than short rides on the (unpaved) neighborhood road on our mountain bikes as the paved roads tend to be narrow, curvy, and very steep. We were much more comfortable riding mountain bikes with suspension on the Creeper Trail, as it can be bumpy in places. We tried it with our Bike Friday folding road bikes, which have wider tires than standard road bikes, and found those pretty uncomfortable, especially on our hands when going in the downhill direction. Front suspension is a real help with all the vibration.

Good luck in your move and bike search!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I'm with Emily on the recumbent. Lower back issues are what drive a lot of folks into going with recumbents in the first place. Not every bike shop carries them, however, so you might have to do some looking. At least visit with a shop that really knows this type of bike. Not all shops do.

If you do go with a traditional MTB, one thing I would highly recommend is to go with plus size wheel setup, be it a 26+, a 27.5+, a 29+ or even a fat bike. Take it from me, someone who now only uses plus size MTBs, wider tires will do a lot to add comfort to trail riding. They're not a substitute for suspension, as some will claim, so do add that, but 3" and up tires do smooth out the trail and, especially in loose gravel, make for much less fishtailing and spooky steering. They also make for a very stable bike to ride and that's also a big plus for saving wear and tear on the back.

we purchased land in JL to build. VA Creeper and Todd River ride are probably be the two places we will ride off JL property. I'm not certain the recumbent would do well for VA creeper trail, so that was why leaning toward MTB style. He definitely won't be jumping or going super fast, just a more tolerant ride. The recumbent might actually be worse as compression on the lower spin in that position you can't lift yourself up to absorb through your legs...
    It is a good day when you wake up - better if the sun is shining!

2015 Specialized Vita Elite Carbon disc 18 speed
    2016 KUAT Sherpa 2.0 2" - luv this baby!
    1985 Raleigh Marathon 12 speed is history as of 2017

Quote Originally Posted by AngelontheRoad View Post
    we purchased land in JL to build. VA Creeper and Todd River ride are probably be the two places we will ride off JL property. I'm not certain the recumbent would do well for VA creeper trail, so that was why leaning toward MTB style. He definitely won't be jumping or going super fast, just a more tolerant ride. The recumbent might actually be worse as compression on the lower spin in that position you can't lift yourself up to absorb through your legs...
    Yes, good point. I'd look towards a full-suspension MTB, then. Maybe a fattie? I would think the cushioning would be phenomenal. Not as good for the Todd River trail, as I think that's paved (but not sure, haven't ever ridden it, think I read about it, though). Good luck!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Muirenn is right about being careful when choosing from today's current MTBs. MTBs have become very specialized - specific types of riding on specific types of terrain. The current design for serious trail bikes is a long top tube and short chain stays, coupled with low head and seat angles. The idea is to put more bike out in front of you with you, the rider, closer to the rear wheel for better traction. This combo also is great for hopping logs, climbing rocks and other obstacles. On my bikes with this geometry, though, I can definitely feel my back doing more work than on bikes with more traditional geometry (me sitting more upright in the center of the bike). After a long trail ride, can definitely feel my back has had a workout and I'm in great shape. In short, I think this kind of MTB would be a poor choice for someone with back problems.

I also agree that the Fargo is a great bike for both pavement and gravel roads and trails that are not too techy (lots of twists and turns, lots of sudden steep climbs). A serious trail bike it is not, despite what some fans claim. What it is, though, is a super comfy pavement, gravel road and back roads bike. Really at its best for the kind of riding described for your husband. It's a very comfy bike to ride for long hours on the road. Eats up those road cracks like a suspension bike. I sold mine only because I didn't get along with the SRAM shifters (prefer Shimano road shifters on a drop bar bike). Have to say I miss my Fargo, though. Still tempted to get that 27.5 + version for gravel road work.

Have also been considering a Surly ECR which is basically a steel touring/backpacking bike with the kind of geometry that would be easy on the back. Comes with 29x3" wheels and a Jones loop bar which I use on my Surly Pugs fat bike. Very comfy for long distance riding.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 06-27-2017 at 05:45 PM.

I can't add to the very good input that has already been provided, but wanted to wish you good luck on your search and hope you can find something that will fit your and your husbands needs! Take your time and, yes, sometimes road trips are needed to find the right fit but it's well worth it in the end.

And, a trip to a PT who can recommend exercise to help with the back and make riding more comfortable. I had severe and acute back issues in March and April and after an MRI showed some disc issues and some stenosis, I haven't had any more acute issues since my PT changed his focus of what he has me doing. I do the stretches at least 2x a day. It's not that my back never feels sore or twitchy, but I have been doing some serious riding in Spain, with no acute issues. Being active actually helps.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport