Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Minimialist Style Cycling Shoe Insoles

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's been a long time since I've posted here. I'm looking for insoles for my cycling shoes. It's more for comfort than support. However, I keep reading that cyclists need very stiff sportive arch support. My arches are medium high and rigid. I lift weights barefoot and think my arches have gotten stronger.

Last year I ended up with peroneal tendonitis in my left leg. I still have some pain around my ankle, especially skiing and biking. My PT said if I use insoles they need to be neutral with soft arch support. She said too much support will cause me to supinate. She was talking regular shoes but I wonder if the same applies to bicycling shoes. All of the cycling insoles seem to have lots of arch support. I have ESoles but even the lowest arch bothers my feet. With my injured leg I can't clip in. I have a pair of Specialized insoles, low arch support, and they felt good until 10 miles then my metatarsals started feeling hot. Last year I used walking shoe insoles with metatarsal support but they are thick and hot.

I had my bike refitted last week and the fitter thought the ESoles were great. I'll call him to see what he suggests but am afraid he'll want to use a stiff, supportive insole. I've also asked other fitters but they didn't come up with any thing.

Any suggestions?

I actually need rigid arch support so I don't know of anything specific to recommend. I was using some Bontrager insoles that had a flexible arch insert, but they don't sell them anymore. Instead they seem to be offering something with Superfeet. There's a low arch version and they have a 30-day guarantee so you could try them and return them if they don't work out.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/a...?colorCode=red

What kind of insoles were in your shoes when you bought them? Every pair of cycling shoes I've had came with totally flat insoles -- maybe something like that would no arch would work?

Also there is an online store called theinsolestore.com. They might have something.

I sympathize -- finding the right insole is never easy. Since I started having ankle tendon problems I now need the rigid arch support, so I've been trying Sole insoles in my bike shoes. But even the thinnest version is too thick so if I continue to use them I will need to get larger shoes. They also make my feet feel hot and my toes hurt. I'm going to try a new version with a metatarsal pad, but may end up having to look at different brands.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles