Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: June Riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Coffee ended up being like medicine in that heat, don't have it and get a headache, have it and feel your core temp rise... when you step outside it's like being on fire, for me anyway.
    Make cold brew and have it iced?! I could not give up my coffee, even in the heat of Florida, Belize, or Mexico. It's funny, in both those latter two countries, soup is a very popular meal, which was surprising to me. It's hot and humid already, we're eating in open-air restaurants for the most part, so hot soup is tough to handle. Though I do admit that when I had a bad cold, it went down pretty well.

Good luck on your move back to Florida, Pax. We are hoping to get back down there soon for my orthodontia. Wherever I start that, we'll be for quite awhile, and I really don't want to end up here in NC all winter. It's not that winters are so terrible (except occasional snow/ice storms, not my fave), but living in a motorhome anywhere cold is not that great since you have to winterize, and there's not much for us to do here. The cycling is particularly bad and dangerous in this area. We are here through July at least for my final check-up at the oral surgeon's on the 31st, and in the meantime helping my mother out with a lot of different things, but we hope to make our escape after that.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I agree, iced coffee is the way to go. Although, I drank hot coffee like crazy when I lived in AZ. Iced coffee was not popular there when I lived there, but of course, that was in the dark ages. I used to make sun tea; put the big jar out in the yard and the tea is brewed in a couple of hours. New Englanders are iced coffee crazy, but truthfully, I don't like it that much. Last summer my DH was making cold brew, when he was at home, unemployed, and he was just saying he needs to get back to that.
    Yes, Emily, I agree, we are seen as the odd people because we walk places. We live just far enough away that a walk to town is enough to count as exercise, though, at least for me.
    I am not going to co-lead the ride tomorrow. Spoke to my friend who I lead with, no big deal. So no cycling until Monday, the first day of the cycling tour. I hope the bruising on my knee goes away. It just feels stiff. The road rash is 95% gone. Probably should not have gone to the gym this morning, but I modified a few things in the class. Funny, the only thing that hurts my knee is when I quickly bend down. Stairs don't bother it and neither did other things this morning, that I thought would.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I know I shouldn't complain, what with so many having to deal with extreme heat, of late, but we're stuck in another one of these long drawn out cool and very wet spells. Temps have been struggling to even break 70 and rain, rain, rain with drizzle thrown in for a little variety. Have even had to resort to wearing leggings on some days. Earlier in the month, when we got stuck in one of these miserable wet weather ruts, I managed to ride between showers. Now I'm just saying the heck with it and riding in the rain. The fat bikes are getting me though it all, though, even for trail riding. Standard size MTBs would sink out of sight in some spots. Hope July brings some sunshine, at least.

Well, if it's of any interest, the same changeable weather here in Spain. We are in the mountains, though, which I believe is somewhat common. First day of the riding, no issues, but on the second day, we got the 2 climbs in and it started pouring just as we were getting ready to leave the lunch stop. We shuttled to the hotel, where it was sunny. The next day, we had a fabulous ride, with sun most of the way, and only a short period of light rain. Yesterday was a rest day. We did not do a cable car ride over a natural park, as it was 35 degtees and raining when we got there!
    Today it is pouring. We are supposed to be shuttled to the top of a mountain pass, to ride down... that is probably not going to happen!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Did not ride today; it was pouring at the top of the pass and 40 degrees and windy at the coffree stop and the next lunch stop. Even with leg warmers, rain jacket, toe covers, and long gloves, it was horrible. And, it was about 50 miles of downhill. One older (than me) woman, got out and rode the last 25 miles, with one of the leaders. She had no rain gear, gloves, or head cover. It was warmer when she started (50?), but it started pouring again as we rode down in the van. The other 2 women had no cold weather gear with them, so DH and I were not alone. I am still seeing beautiful scenery! That woman who rode is giving me a pain in the azz. I am being nice, but there is always at least one on every trip.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Glad you are having fun in Spain, Crankin, though sorry about the chilly and wet weather. I would hate that. Glad the scenery makes up for it!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Wednesday night I led our "level 1" ride ... one of those days where nothing's where it should be. I didn't know where my keys were and thought I'd left them at work so ... I head out and get to work and they're not there -- they're on my bike, dropped down in the basket. Oh, but I've left my waist bag at home so just hope I don't need wallet or cough drops or pepper spray or...
    ... and when my rear went smack, smack smack on the 6 mile ride back from the ride, I realized that the bag wiht the pump was at work.
    ... happily, the cyclist who went by me goin' the other way as I was walking figuring out a plan turned around and inquired, and he had not a pump but C02... so I praised my disorganized self for at least having figured out a "quick uninstall" for my crate on the back of the bike (cargo longbike), and having tube handy. He had good flashlight and time THen he says "I thought it was you -- and know you have a long way to go." Sweeet
    THe other kinda nifty thing is... well, maybe he was just tired, but ... he expected me to be able to fix my own flat *And* even though this was the first flat I've had on this bike it went pretty seamlessly. I couldn't find the cause ... so perhaps a pinch flat on our rough roads b/c ... just swapping the tube worked.

760 miles for June Might not get much at all today w/ storms everywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Now I'm just saying the heck with it and riding in the rain.
    "We can whine about the rain. We can swear at it. We can hide from it. Or we can just ride in it as best we can...and be fully alive while we do it." If you can do a long ride through a heavy downpour ending with your body and mind intact, you’re ready for pretty much whatever…. and there’s always the warmth of home and hot chocolate to return to.

…and a bonus is getting to clean the grit out of all the beautiful places on your bike that the rain has made nasty.....my bikes purr when i clean them

I luv riding in the rain…….eta well, it doesn't rain that much here though and few really good storms
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 07-01-2017 at 03:16 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Maybe TE could get a group together, someday, and do a foreign tour. Italy?
    Geneva to Trieste through the Swiss Alps and Italian Dolomites, from Lake Geneva to the Adriatic Sea….why not a day of base jumping in the Dolomites too….I’m in if you are…. and if KHG ever comes back and sees this thats 5 with her husband and Alex
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I don't think it would be easy.
    A trip like that would be out for me. I've hiked and driven in the Italian Alps and I know, even with training more, that would kill me. I like hills, but what I did in Spain is enough for me. It would be fun to do a group trip, just not one with climbs that have 15-20% grades and last for miles.
    Some of you are a lot younger than me... I am pretty good for an old lady, but I know my limits.
    Last edited by Crankin; 07-07-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura