Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: June Riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    It's laminate planks, installed either by the previous owner or the dealer. Looked great when we bought the rig, but not as good now. I would not recommend it as the seams pull apart with the motion of driving and weather and the rollers of the slide out put little chips and dings in it, showing white below. I have done quite a bit of research, and what seems to do best with the motion of RVs is the "luxury vinyl planks" that look like wood. I guess they have more give than a hard laminate.
    Interesting. I remember at one point we were both considering cork floors. Long story short, I am now looking at LVP for my condo. They have vinyl that looks like tile, also, if you prefer that look.

Sometimes in winter my excuse for being too lazy to set up the indoor trainer is that it takes up too much space in my living room. But I guess if you have room for one in an RV, I can't really use that excuse any more...

And to keep it cycling related,

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Interesting. I remember at one point we were both considering cork floors. Long story short, I am now looking at LVP for my condo. They have vinyl that looks like tile, also, if you prefer that look.
    Yes, I was and am still considering cork floors if we redo the floors in our motorhome. It came with these floors. But with my accident, all my extra dollars have been spent on medical/dental stuff, so floors are a year or two down the road, if ever! I still love cork but have gotten so many rec's for LVP in RVs that I would probably lean that way. If I were in a sticks-n-bricks home, cork for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Sometimes in winter my excuse for being too lazy to set up the indoor trainer is that it takes up too much space in my living room. But I guess if you have room for one in an RV, I can't really use that excuse any more...
    Oh, we don't have room to keep it set up. It opens and closes, and we just put it in the middle of the floor when in use. When not, it stays folded up and stuck against a wall. Otherwise we would have no place to walk!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Oh, we don't have room to keep it set up. It opens and closes, and we just put it in the middle of the floor when in use. When not, it stays folded up and stuck against a wall. Otherwise we would have no place to walk!
    It's actually not too different for me -- I could leave it set up, but it really takes up too much room, and I have to set it up right by the front door. This is one reason why I don't want or need a big house, but would like just one additional room. If I could leave it set up, I would use it more in the winter, and even would be using it now. And I hear you on the medical expenses -- the bills for treating my ankle are one reason why I'm about to go ahead with the LVP, which is less expensive than engineered hardwood or cork.

Speaking of riding indoors, I rode the stationary recumbent at the gym last night instead of riding outside. I decided that another hill ride would be too much for my ankle, especially since I've started doing some different exercises at PT that are causing a bit of pain. But also the weather was just too cold for June. It was in the 60s, which was entirely do-able and would have seemed great a couple of months ago, but right now I am just not in the mood to play the how-many-layers-do-I-need game.

So I rode for about 35-40 minutes, not sure exactly how long because I paused in the middle and the dumb thing shut off so I had to start the timer again. It was a decent indoor workout. When I finished I tried to stretch my calf muscles but pushing on the pedal with my heel down, which worked fine for the right leg but when I tried with my left leg my foot slipped off and the pedal spun around and hit my shin really hard. I went to the locker room, put my foot in the sink and ran cold water over my leg, but still ended up with a lump. Doh!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Ouch, NY! That sounds painful. I hate it when I injure myself doing something like that. Hope it's very quick to heal up and that your ankle continues to improve.
    Emily

Not my best few days, these last. Came down with a bug on Sunday and by Monday I ached from head to toe and was queasy, to boot. Might have had something to do with the abrupt change in weather from 40s and 50s directly to mid and upper 80s (well above normal for June, up here.)

Better, today, though. I was a little wobbly on some my trail climbing to start, but actually finished stronger than I started. Still way too warm for this time of year, though. We do have a window air unit (our only AC) that we put in the bedroom, but we also have a Robin nesting in the window sill, so we'll wait until she's done. She nested there, last year, too. Neat to watch.

Glad you are better, North Woods. Take it easy. I have not ridden since Sunday, but did my gym classes Monday and today, and walked a very fast 3 mile walk on Wednesday.
    I have 2 30 mile rides, tomorrow and Saturday, where I am the sweep. Tomorrow's is a repeat of last Friday, but Saturday is our club's bike rally. There will be lots of people. Hopefully, there will be no pop up thunderstorms Saturday.
    Supposed to be 92 Sunday, and I am not sure if I will ride. Maybe an early AM breakfast ride is in store. I will commute on Monday, in my new Terry cycling dress that I have been staring at lovingly as the temperature plumeted to 47 degrees. We have 3 days of 90s predicted.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Meanwhile, down here in NC, we have had highs only in the low-mid 70s the past couple of days. Crazy! But we're due for upper 80s and low 90s very soon; this is a blip.

Planning an oh-so-exciting trainer ride today...wheeeeee!
    Emily

Planning an oh-so-exciting trainer ride today...wheeeeee!
    Set a fan to blow in your face, smear some sunscreen on your upper lip, and pretend you're riding at the beach!

Electra Townie 7D

Did the same ride as last Friday; only 3 showed up and they all rode the same speed, so I had no excuse to be slower as the sweep.
    Not a good ride for me, but I stuck it out. Don't ever eat beans and home made salsa for breakfast before a ride. I knew I shouldn't, but...
    I was in pain for a good part of the ride and felt just out of it on my way home in the car. But the people enjoyed it.
    Exhausted.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Another exhausting ride, mostly because it was 84 degrees. But, no rain, thunder, or lightning. This is good!
    We had a large group of over 20 people for the "faster" group on the 30 mile ride. DH and I had agreed that due to the hotter temperatures, we would keep the speed at around 13-14 average. That lasted until we got to the rest stop, about halfway through the ride. A couple of riders stopped and waited for the slower paced group to pick them up. As soon as we left the rest stop, one woman told me she was losing it. I stayed with her as the sweep, but the rest of the group was gone. I was still at the upper end of the agreed upon speed (13.8 average), and feeling pretty tired myself. This woman was getting slower and slower, so finally, about 7 miles from the end, she decided to wait for the other group.
    I rode the last 7 miles by myself, almost just going straight home, as i was a mile from my house. But, I made back to Verrill Farm and I was pissed. My DH said they had a tailwind and the riders were on his azz. Yeah, his average was a mile faster than mine. I followed our plan and even got back 5 minutes before our estimated time. Usually, I have 5-6 riders at the back with me, but this year, we had a very different group, and I didn't know any of them. So, we raced home in the car, and showered, and returned for the happy hour and dinner. Food was good, and then DH and I went out for ice cream... we were home at 6:30 and DH is now sleeping on the couch.
    I am not slow enough for the slower group, so I think this speaks to the lack of riding I have done so far this year and the heat. I might take a slow recovery ride early tomorrow, as it's going to be 92 later in the day. My car is in the shop, but I am going to commute to work Monday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yeah, watch the heat, at least until you get acclimated to it. I was out, yesterday, working on the trails, doing some heavy labor - digging and fitting some plank bridges over muddy spots. Temp was 89, which is way above normal for us this time of year. Started getting dizzy from lack of water. Barely made it the short walk back to the house. Hubby sat me down and made me drink lots of water. Was better in no time. Should have known, better, but I figured I wasn't that far from the house ...

Head out on the fat bike, this morning, with a temp in the 70s and no problem at all as far as my conditioning. 70s work for me. Need to ease into the upper 80s. Just beat some serious storms. Glad I got out for an early ride.

Up to about 75 no problem for me. Above that, if it's blazing sun, but dry out, OK, Add in humidity, above 75, not good. Problem is, in New England, it's hard to acclimate, as you can have days with highs around 60-65 and then a day of 85. We usually never have more than 3-4 days in a row of high 80s or 90s.
    We did go for a ride to eat breakfast, a whopping 8.1 miles round trip. We ate at a place popular with cyclists, and it was overrun! It was early and everyone was out to beat the heat. I will be glad when the end of July comes and all the PMC riders are not training on the roads around where I live.
    After showering and reading the paper, we headed into Boston, where we walked the Greenway, the waterfront, and into the North End. It was definitely hot and humid, but we tried to stay in the shade and when we couldn't stand it any longer, we ducked into a small and quiet trattoria/bar in the North End, on a side street, far away from tourists. Had a glass of rosé and shared an appetizer, before walking back to the car. So, a few more calories burned.
    Now safely in my air conditioned home and tired. Preparing for at least one, maybe 3 car free days.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It's hard acclimating to higher temps/humidity, but there is an odd pleasure with that as well when it is all working and our bodies have had a chance to acclimate to the higher temps. Of course, it gets much hotter in Indiana than in New England. Frankly, your temps sound delightful! Be careful and enjoy!

We're in the 90's this week, which we haven't seen since Sept 2015 (summer of 2016 was MUCH cooler than normal for us).

Rode to the gym at 5:25 and it was already 70 degrees, but felt delightful.
    Of course, now I am getting ready to leave to ride to work, and it should be in the high 70s in 45 minutes, and OK (the route I take there is shady), but probably still 90 when I leave at 6 PM. I take a more direct route home, which is less shaded and more heat from cars. Of course, I can stand anything for 2.3 miles.
    Best thing, my Terry cycling dress fits perfectly and looks very stylish. I hope they make this in other colors/patterns. Perfectly acceptable for a hot day at work and for going out at night on my trip to Spain.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Severe storms rolled through the area on Sunday with wind gusts of 70 mph, plus and almost 4 inches of rain. Trees down all over the place. We lost power on noon Sunday and just got it back, last night, so 30 plus hours of roughing it with no electricity.

My trails got off fairy easy. Had one tree top that fell on the trail, but I was able to cut it up and move it. Huge old spruce, though, toppled across another section of trail. Too big to cut, so just re-routed the trail around it. Some parts of the trail remain under water, but plenty of dry trail to work, so got in decent rides. Fat bikes, only, of course when the trails are so soft - deer leave a much deeper footprint in the soft stuff than the fatties.

Good workout, but missed not having a shower to finish with (well pump is electric), so just doused myself with a couple of buckets of cold lake water.

Did NOT miss the daily dose of sickening political news without the internet or TV, but did miss posting and seeing what my friends, here, have been doing. Nice to be back.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 06-13-2017 at 10:17 AM.