Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: June Riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think most of us have had falls like that, Crankin. Glad you're mostly okay. We're heading to Cape Code June 23-July 1. Staying in Hyannis this time, in a small house that is walking distance to the restaurants and stores on the main street. I had suggested a possible side trip to the Concord area on the way to or from the cape, but it doesn't work with my sister's schedule. The agenda will be somewhat similar to last year's trip, centered around Cape League baseball games but with time for some sightseeing.

So, potentially big news today. As mentioned elsewhere I've been going to PT for the ankle tendon problem. Several of the exercises I'm doing are for strengthening the hip and glute muscles, for better ankle stabilization. So I'm doing squats. But they're bothering my right knee due to the patella tracking problem that used to hurt when cycling. While discussing this, the therapist did some measuring to try to understand what's going on. She determined that my hip/femor angles are the same on both sides. Then she mentioned that the left leg is slightly shorter than the right. Aha!! A giant metaphorical light bulb went on over my head. Could this be causing, or at least contributing to, the saddle problems on the right side??? I'm very excited to have this new information. Of course I'm not sure what to do next -- go ahead with the purchase of the leather saddle? Or hold off on that and make an appointment with the bike fitter? Or buy the saddle AND schedule an appointment with the fitter?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I can't really address the saddle issue, NY, but it seems like you should have the fitting first. Can the PT recommend a fitter?
    So, our ride tonight was really good. Except for the traffic. It was a good route, but it was still rush hour. About half of it or more was on country roads, in a wildlife preserve, but we had to make a couple of turns on a main road, which were a bit hairy for a small group. We had 6 riders and we all stayed together. Perfect temperature of 70 and a pretty stiff breeze. So, we might take this route and make it longer, to do on a weekend.
    It's going to rain tomorrow, and i have to work around noon time, so I don't think I'll be riding. Saturday, it will rain early, and we are going out for our early Father's Day with my son and family in the AM. Hoping to do a short ride after that and a long and hilly ride Sunday. My knee was fine tonight. Amazing what Arnica does to decrease swelling.
    I will be away those dates, NY, so I am sorry I am missing you. I would happily drive down the Cape. Be careful of that allergy thing!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    So have been riding on new saddle after my 10 yr. old saddle got busted after a lot of use.
    My distances this year has been under 50km. so far, which is ok so far, since half of the time, I'm riding with weight of my commuter business clothing /groceries. More physical effort Yesterday, we rode to our favourite Italian store where there is a terrific deli-café onsite. They are major distributor of Italian groceries for Western Canada also. Italian-Canadians hang out there plus locals in the know and workers from industrial parks nearby. Place is near the airport..which you can appreciate those areas in North American cities, tend to be surburban/industrial areas. Strangely by bike through 50% of route is only on road, it's only 12 km. one way from home downtown. It's a strange sensation that the cycling route is actually shorter than by car because we are cycling through valley park pathways that bypass circuitous road areas, intersections and....some traffic lights.

Then went did a detour to a local building materials and hardware store where of course, they don't have bike racks. At least the place is only 10 metres away from park pathway route. Same for 2 other places in town where I've bought small hardware, plumbing items to fix things around home.

Today, we will do the same type of cycling, destination visits to check pricing, plus a stop at an Asian supermarket that serves the suburbs. I have to buy some tougher bed sheets which again only the suburbs seem to have the widest choices. It will be a different route but still over 70% through park pathways. As soon as we get out of the downtown area....these areas are under-utilized and quiet. Methinks everyone heads out to the mountains...which are 120+ km. away. There are several national parks within 1-3 hr. drive.

Though prairie, we are 1,000+ above sea level (Vancouver is at sea level, if you don't count local mountains) which helps marathoners, triathletes and cross-country skiers train in our area who compete at national and international level.

Just to give a flavour where I live....stark prairie (which can be sometimes boring rides to me. I miss British Columbia and Ontario) vs. in a distance, but not far, stunning snow-capped mountains, wilderness, large wildlife.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-18-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

NY, my left leg is slightly shorter and I have a long history of back troubles. Very well may be a source of your issues. Best of luck.

shootingstar, I love that you have such variety of landscapes in your area and, especially, that kind of a view of distant mountains. We are so solidly forest that the only way I get to see any great distance is to head to a large lake or our local airport.

This week, have been hard at work building up sections of my trail that wind though some swampy lowlands. Hubby built me some ten foot long treated wood bridges that I can use to cross the worst areas, but left it to me to move them in to place and install because he has a bad back. Very mucky, yuky mosquito infested kind of work, but they work. Eliminates tearing up the trail. The deer like them, too. See their muddy tracks on them.

The honeysuckle vines we have growing outside our door are in bloom and are under constant bombardment by the hummingbirds. Neat.

Ended up not riding yesterday, we both felt kind of sleepy after our brunch with my son. Instead, around 4, we walked into town and had a glass of wine. Got sprinkled on, on the way there, but it never really rained. After we walked home (sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who would walk 4 miles rt for a glass of wine!), we chilled and then went out for Korean food in the next town. There was some kind of open house thing going on in all of the galleries and businesses and we had to ride around to find parking, kind of unusual in Maynard, MA.
    I slept for 9 hours and finally felt awake, but it is getting brutally humid and kind of hot, too. Went out to ride around 12:30, though, and it was mostly cloudy and breezy, but seriously humid. If the sun broke through, it felt horrible, but we mostly were in the shade. Rode by the Old Grist Mill and Little Red Schoolhouse of Mary Had a Little Lamb fame, and then back through some back roads near where I used to teach, and finally up the climb we did on our bike rally route last week. From there, we took the straight way back, which is not pretty, but fast and flat. About 3 miles from home I had to stop and dump water over my head, and I realized I was hungry, but on we went. A total of 28 miles, at an OK pace for this weather.
    I am being a little cautious with riding this week, after my crash Wednesday and the fact we are leaving for our cycling trip on Friday. I don't know if I will do the group ride on Wednesday, but I will ride. Not going to commute, it's going to be humid, with threat of thunderstorms. I am going to help lead a ride Friday morning, but it's the same route every time I do this ride, so that's OK. We don't leave until night, and I plan to pack Thursday night.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Still no riding, but regular swimming, makes me feel so good! We're leaving for the conference in Chicago on Thursday and then a week and a half later to our place in Florida for a couple of weeks. We'll take the bikes to FL and leave them there, really looking forward to riding once we get the place cleaned up and habitable again.

Electra Townie 7D

I want to do a Trek Bike Tour next year, so, I have been concentrating on getting my mileage up. I am trying to get in three to four rides a week, and I also joined a bike club. The bike club I joined has most of the members in my age group, which is wonderful. If I want to go at a social pace, I ride with the club, if I want the speed I ride solo. Tomorrow will be the beginning of a warm week (fortunately, not anywhere near what Phoenix will get) in SoCal, so I will ride in the morning.

Specialized 2017 Ruby SL4 Sport
    Specialized 2010 Sirrus Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    E(sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who would walk 4 miles rt for a glass of wine!),
    Ha! Nope, you're not. That's the kind of thing we would do, even if we did have a car (other than our motorhome)!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Good to know I am not the only weirdo around.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I've been known to walk that far for a good cup of coffee at a favorite coffee shop. That's my addiction.

Have had three days of peekaboo rain. Rains for half hour, then stops for half an hour before starting, again. Getting a little old, but have been able to work around it with my trail riding around the house by watching the radar for those in between rain period times.

I use my Salsa Blackboro when things get soft because it has the widest rim and tire combo and leaves the shallowest print. Still amazes me how different it rides than some of my other fat bikes, though. Definitely slower to respond with those huge 100mm rims and 4.8 tires. Requires me to apply more body english with the steering than my other fatties. Can still do all the tech stuff with it by adapting my riding technique, mostly the timing, but it takes a little time to adjust. You would think that all fat bikes ride and handle the same, but just ain't so. Keep it in mind if you plan to ride a fattie.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 06-19-2017 at 04:23 PM.

I'm weaning off coffee right now in preparation for our return to FL, good thing I'm not riding these days, I'd crash and then just lay there in a daze... pretty much like now, just staring into space. coffeeeeeeeeeee

Electra Townie 7D

I could never give up coffee. I often say I am so healthy, please let me have my one or two vices (coffee and wine), neither of which I abuse!
    So, I went on my group ride today, despite a pretty high level of anxiety after my little crash last Wednesday. I almost went home after I, walked out of the house without my cycling shoes (I realized that before I got in my car), hit the curb while parking, and then realized I forgot my gloves. Oh, and after seeing who was there, I knew it would be tough. Usually there are 2 groups and there were not, but, it was a medium sized group. My friend Jack was sweeping, and thankfully, I never was riding with him! But, it was hotter and more humid than I thought it would be, and the healthy black bean nachos I made last night were not the right meal the night before a ride. I was seriously thinking of turning back after 7 miles, but I kept talking to myself. Once we got to the halfway point, I ate at our stop, and shortly after that, we were back on the last part of the loop. However, (I later found out) someone told the leader he would pull her for a bit, so the fast people got faster and I could only see 2 or 3 riders ahead of me for a long time. There were a couple of others who sometimes ride with me, at my speed, but they seem to not know how to pace themselves and flame out, or they cannot climb as fast as me. So, I was alone, as those people fell back and I couldn't see them, either. By then, we were back in Concord, and the leader had stopped about 5 miles before the end of the ride, which started in Bedford. A whole group just went ahead to the end, so there were only about 10-15 people for the last 5 miles. My average was way fast for a group ride, with this group, so I guess maybe I need to ride with those people more often, and not go with the "regular" group, but the fast one.
    I did not go to the lunch and was glad I had a banana in my car. Took some Pepto, ate, showered, and took myself for a manicure, Thinking maybe I should not help lead on Friday, but it may be a moot point, as it might rain. I will be packing for my trip tomorrow night, and we don't leave for the airport until 6:30 PM Friday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

What is this....weaning off coffee? I don't know what those words mean. I HAVE cut down over the years, these days I have no more than 2 cups in the morning or I don't sleep.

Pax, are you moving back to Florida? You can't go yet, we've not had a chance to meet for a hike yet

Catrin, yup, we're moving back, my wife wants to retire and we can't afford two places, so it's back to the condo down there. Come down and we'll go kayaking (I'll pass on hiking, to many snakes and spiders for me).

Coffee ended up being like medicine in that heat, don't have it and get a headache, have it and feel your core temp rise... when you step outside it's like being on fire, for me anyway.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Good to know I am not the only weirdo around.
    Interesting that this is probably only weird in certain cultures, like the car-based society of the US. When we lived in Belize and then in Mexico, people walked or biked many more places, and I am sure many spots in Europe are the same. I think that's one reason we enjoy those cultures more as we are are more in the mainstream there and not "weirdos", as I am sure many here in the US consider us! Kinda sad...and a reason so many Americans are obese.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow