Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: June Riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am not able to acclimate to the heat because I spend 5 days/week wearing a sweater and wool wrap in an over-air-conditioned office. It's even worse this year since I can't go outside for a walk at lunch or after work. Soon I'll be heading out to a sedentary vacation that includes a week in Massachusetts. When I get back in early July I will definitely struggle with the heat.

But for now... we had a great bike ride on Saturday. It was one of the two big rides that my club organizes every year, with routes ranging from 22 to 63 miles. Last year it was very hot but this year it was pleasant, though just after finishing when I was out in the sun putting the bike in the car it did seem very hot. So I guess I finished just in time. I had planned to ride 45 miles but got a late start (too much pre-ride chit chat) and after about 8 miles stopped to help the SAG driver. Yes you read that right, the SAG driver needed assistance. When I rode up and found him parked on the side of the road, he had just finished helping a rider with a flat tire (and a brand new bike with no supplies or know-how to fix a flat), and had cut his forearm in the process. He had a first-aid kit (because SAG driver) but needed another set of hands to put adhesive bandages on the cuts (because forearm). So I assisted. When I reached the first rest stop I saw some friends who had helped with registration and then started late, so were doing the 35-mile route. I decided to finish the ride with them, and ended up with 39 miles in all. Then I hung out at the picnic (more chit-chat -- the best thing about these rides is the chance to see people who normally ride in other categories). All in all, a good day.

One of the people I rode with after the rest stop had just come back from the Wisconsin bike trip that I asked about a week or so ago. She said they had fun. It was a great area for cycling, with very small towns and almost no car traffic, plenty of steep hills and an occasional unpaved section.

The saddle problem I had earlier -- a lump on the right side -- has come back. It had come back after the previous weekend's ride and receded over the course of the week, but it hurt as soon as I started riding on Saturday and bothered me for the first 20 miles. After that it didn't hurt but the lump is definitely back. I've been icing it and it's going away again, for now. I've spent a fair amount of time reading old saddle threads -- thanks to Muirenn, Knotted Yet and everyone else for such a treasure trove of excellent information. My conclusion is that the saddle I've been using for years has always been a tad too pear-shaped, as I've always had minor issues with chafing, and for some reason now the problem is worse and is causing something under the skin (probably a tendon) to become bruised and inflamed. I am very close to trying a leather saddle, probably a Rivet Independence. In the meantime I will ride the recumbent stationary bike instead of my weekly post-work hill ride (the ankle can't handle the hills, anyway) and will sit on an ice pack as needed to get through the ride I have planned this coming weekend.
    Last edited by ny biker; 06-13-2017 at 11:13 AM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

NY, so sorry about the saddle sore... no matter the cause, those are no fun. Definitely sounds like a saddle change is in order. I have heard that wearing two pairs of shorts helps. Also, you might try lidocaine cream (from any drug store) to numb the area. It has to be applied every hour or so but really helped me when I was having a bad saddle issue. I bought Gold Bond brand at Walmart. Good luck!

NWG, I saw on the news about the storms in Wisconsin and hoped you weren't getting hit too hard. Sounds like it was bad but could have been worse. Glad you're okay! Out cutting up trees and everything...you are one fierce woman!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Yesterday I had a car free day and it was the hottest day of the year. Rode to the gym, did my class, rode home (2 miles). I woke up with my sinus/cold thing back in full vengeance. I know I *never* get just a cold, so the 10 days of being sick and ruining Memorial Day weekend should have been a hint. This is why I felt so horrible on the rides I led last weekend. I had no choice but to ride to work, though, and it was still cool-ish out. On the way there, a woman yelled at me that my flashing tail light was blinding her! Good, she saw me.
    My car was finished, and was sitting at the place, about 3/4 of a mile from my office. It was already 6:15, usually getting quieter in terms of traffic, but going to the car place forced me to go right through West Concord village. It was complicated by the fact an ambulance came through and the traffic was backed up, and a train had just come through, so people were exiting the commuter lot. I was in the lane, which I prefer, as there was no room to ride along the cars. First, another cyclist came up on me and got on the sidewalk. The traffic started moving and Icaught up to him. Then another rider, a woman said "coming through," and passed me, in the narrowest of space between the traffic and parked cars. I had to make a left to get into the car lot and the traffic was just stopped. I rode up on the sidewalk, which I abhor, but there were no pedestrians. Then I crossed at a crosswalk and rode on the sidewalk on the other side, until I got to my car. I gladly drove the 1.5 miles home.
    This all made me thankful for normally taking a left where I had to go right to get my car... or, I actually go up a hill and around the business district to get to Main St and on to my street.
    Since I am leaving for my trip in 10 days, I am going to the doctor tomorrow. My sinuses are pounding. I may do my group ride, which leaves from Concord Center, but I will have to drive there, and skip the lunch overlooking the river at one of the member's home, to get home, clean up, and get to my appointment. If I feel really awful, I won't ride.
    Thursday night DH and I are leading a ride and I am not really looking forward to it. Only 17 miles, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    ... NWG, I saw on the news about the storms in Wisconsin and hoped you weren't getting hit too hard. Sounds like it was bad but could have been worse. Glad you're okay! Out cutting up trees and everything...you are one fierce woman!
    Thanks. Yeah, definitely some of that pioneer woman spirit helps if a gal wants to live, up here. I think it's just part of the program for any woman who lives in a rural area where the outdoor life style prevails. I do miss some of the girlie stuff, though. Just not many opportunities to dress up and go out on the town. Standard wardrobe is jeans and a sweatshirt, most of the year. On the other hand, it is kind of nice to go without makeup and go bra-less when out in the woods. The deer and bears don't care.

Good to see you’ve found a way to keep spinning Emily!!! Hoping for rides outside sooner than you expect.

NWG…you’re not a pioneer woman…you’re a good warrior woman ....who possess a determined spirit, an attitude that drives your actions towards your goals. When faced with limitations, disappointment or opposition, a warrior woman only gets more determined to make what she envisions happen.....that you are!!

NY….hoping the lump is just an temporary inconvenience...perhaps fixed by a beautiful leather saddle!!

To celebrate my last cycle of chemo/radiation I postponed it for a few days so I could feel good enough to ride one of my favorite roads that runs parallel to the base of the eastern sierra mountains and to just get back to the desert and it’s peaceful ways. We started at mono lake just after the sunrise and rode towards the Sierra’s and then rode old grade road. A flat 36 mile ride which took most of the day with stops for quick breaks, photography and just absorbing the views. My longest ride in what seems forever and it felt good.

Mono lake

happy California cows on old grade rd.

On the drive home we stopped at the Manzanar obelisk which stands for the “place of consolation for the spirit of all mankind”. When there i always say prayers for the recognition of the tragedy that the internment camps were and with the hope of keeping that kind of fear and response from ever happening again in the U.S.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

rebecca, such a stunning place and what a thing to celebrate! Sending good juju for your health going forward. Hope the big C is gone FOREVER.

NWG, I hear ya. We lived on acreage twice and were very outdoorsy, though I left the tree cutting to DH. But on our second rural lot of 11 acres, we cut and cleared all the trees for our house build...hauled 'em into a pile with chains and my DH's truck! So, I have a bit of that pioneer spirit in me too. I don't dress up or even wear makeup hardly ever these days and live in t-shirts and shorts (or jeans, depending on season) as well. I actually miss getting a little dressed up (just a little, I don't do fancy very well) and going out to eat. In our RVing lifestyle, there's not a lot of that since we usually have to bike or walk to restaurants so have to wear comfortable shoes!
    Emily

Crankin, so sorry to hear that your sinuses are acting up again! You have really had a time with that. Hope you can get some relief soon and be well for your trip. Sending healing wishes....
    Emily

Lots of great things happening on this thread, I've not been able to visit TE as much as I would like.

Emily - glad that you've found some way to start pedaling again and hope you can ride outside soon for as long as you would like!

Crankin - may the sinus problems ease soon, not fun for sure - wishing you the best for your trip! Healing wishes indeed.

Rebecca - Those are drop-dead gorgeous shots, thank you for sharing! They make me wish I had pedals under my feet again I was very glad to read that you've reached the end of your treatments! Wishing you the best in your recovery.

NWG, I hear you. Back in the day (>30 years ago) I lived in rural Nebraska for a time and that spirit you describe certainly helps there as well.

Thanks, Catrin. I went to the doc and got my drugs!
    So, I had a little crash today. It didn't involve anyone else, just my own poor judgment and doing something out of my normal routine in cycling. At the top of Strawberry Hill (where it is flat) we were turning left. I came up to the intersection, still clipped in and there was a car. An Acton Police car... My leg was in the up position, and I couldn't get it down fast enough. So, it was crash or get hit. I was probably going 0-1 mph and fell on my knee. Someone had to lift my bike so I could unclip. The damage is 2 abrasions, not bad and bruising, some stiffness. I treated myself and told the riders to go on, I was returning to my car. On the way back down the hill, my bandaid fell off and I looked like a pro, with blood streaming down my leg. I stopped at the corner of my old street and put on a better band aid.
    So, I rode 10 miles. Gorgeous day, but just as well. Just heard from my friend that I would not have made it back for my dr. appt. as there were 2 flats and they stopped at a pond for half an hour! I cleaned it up and I've been icing, using antibiotic stuff on it and Arnica in the surrounding area. No swelling and no pain, just stiffness. I hope it's OK for leading tomorrow night, but I know it's not injured, like requiring medical attention.
    Stupid!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Thanks, Catrin. I went to the doc and got my drugs!
    So, I had a little crash today. It didn't involve anyone else, just my own poor judgment and doing something out of my normal routine in cycling. At the top of Strawberry Hill (where it is flat) we were turning left. I came up to the intersection, still clipped in and there was a car. An Acton Police car... My leg was in the up position, and I couldn't get it down fast enough. So, it was crash or get hit. I was probably going 0-1 mph and fell on my knee. Someone had to lift my bike so I could unclip. The damage is 2 abrasions, not bad and bruising, some stiffness. I treated myself and told the riders to go on, I was returning to my car. On the way back down the hill, my bandaid fell off and I looked like a pro, with blood streaming down my leg. I stopped at the corner of my old street and put on a better band aid.
    So, I rode 10 miles. Gorgeous day, but just as well. Just heard from my friend that I would not have made it back for my dr. appt. as there were 2 flats and they stopped at a pond for half an hour! I cleaned it up and I've been icing, using antibiotic stuff on it and Arnica in the surrounding area. No swelling and no pain, just stiffness. I hope it's OK for leading tomorrow night, but I know it's not injured, like requiring medical attention.
    Stupid!
    Youch! Very glad to read that no serious damage was done!

Thanks for the nice comments, folks. Rebecca, as always, your photography just stops me in my tracks. Wow!

Happy to report my knee is not worse this morning. I will be able to ride tonight.
    NY, when are you coming up here?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Ugh, Crankin! Hope you are not too sore today. Thank goodness it wasn't worse.
    Emily

thanks emily, catrin and nwg!!!! it felt good to be able to post a ride report
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    thanks emily, catrin and nwg!!!! it felt good to be able to post a ride report
    I bet! I can't wait to do that myself (other than a trainer ride). Happy for you!!
    Emily