Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Don't shout stuff at women.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

fixed the link http://www.waba.org/blog/2017/05/guys-what-the-hell/

yeah! Concept of machismo here in US means to be violent, to be rude, demean women and other men and kids who are less than you in their eyes. This is not being macho. It's just bad behavior.

It's about time that moms should teach their son on acceptable behavior and what is expected of them.

I heard that in Norway, men always push the strollers etc. Here in US, I get angry to see the man tapping his foot because his wife is taking time getting the stroller out of a car, getting the child into the stroller and having to carry the huge tote with all the supplies ... you get the picture. Hey buckwheat, you are much stronger than your wife so don't just stand there, get the stroller out and pick up the wiggling 40 pound kid and strap the kid into the stroller. While at it, carry that 30 pound tote with all the supply.

I've had my share of rude encounters... being slapped on the butt to other things.

[QUOTE=smilingcat;717037]fixed the link [url]http://www.waba.org/blog/2017/05/guys-what-the-hell/[/url /QUOTE]

Oopsie, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    It's about time that moms should teach their son on acceptable behavior and what is expected of them.

I heard that in Norway, men always push the strollers etc. Here in US, I get angry to see the man tapping his foot because his wife is taking time getting the stroller out of a car, getting the child into the stroller and having to carry the huge tote with all the supplies ... you get the picture. Hey buckwheat, you are much stronger than your wife so don't just stand there, get the stroller out and pick up the wiggling 40 pound kid and strap the kid into the stroller. While at it, carry that 30 pound tote with all the supply.
    True. Dude, you were there for the conception, stick around and do the work. But I don't think it's all up to the moms. We also need men, husbands, boyfriends, brothers, dads .... to speak up when they see sexist behavior and say "Hey! Don't yell at women!"
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I haven't read the article yet, but, wow. My sons have their own diaper bags... special dad backpacks with all the special pockets for wipes, dirty diapers, clothing, etc. They spend tons of time with their baby daughters and it is no different then when their moms take care of them. My younger son, who is an officer in the military, is taking his daughter for baby swim lessons. He is the only dad and says the other moms look at him like he is some weirdo. I would have thought that something had changed since my DH stayed home with my older son for the first 8 months of his life, 35 years ago.
    ETA:
    OK, yes cycling does still have these jerks, but I have seen less and less of it around here. But the thing is, I have had other women give me the passive compliment, the condescending "good job," which pisses me off even more. I am not super fast, but I am OK... if you ride faster than me, good for you. I run into this all of the time when we lead rides, in that I try to think how I can say something to a participant who has a dangerous situation with equipment or is rding such as to endanger others or themselves. A couple of weeks ago a guy on our ride had his helmet straps all twisted and loose. DH politely asked him if he wanted him to fix it, after I showed the guy what was wrong, and he said "no." People get mad over stuff like this.
    Last edited by Crankin; 06-02-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Given there is systemic gender discrimination…don’t shout stuff at/harass ‘people’ on bike trails/rides. I’ve certainly known more males to engage in that behavior but also women who felt the need to control or complain about others on a bike path/ride. I see the making vulnerable people around you safe and feeling safe and saying “Way to perpetuate the kyriarchy” to some aggressive male as good recommendations (among others) in the article.

I come from can’t control others and being cautious and kind working better….and giving to the community by working on issues like this.

The black eyed peas 2003 song at the ‘love for Manchester concert’ Sunday night.

https://youtu.be/ntkD_Iumjlo
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Hey Trek, when did you get the Vaya? I don't remember you having one.
    Hey, I think I've had it 2 years? I like it a lot. Don't tell it; for commutes, gravel I like my Soma best. I think I got it a 2014 model. KnottedYet has one too, slighly better specks than mine.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton