Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

PNW friends - Troutdale to Hood River?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,
    It's been a while since I've been on here - I lurk and read posts now and then but my kids have outgrown naptime, and I've gone back to work, leaving little time to catch up with the TE crew. So many trials - and triumphs - for the wonderful women here - my heart has gone out in sympathy - or joy - for so many of you.

Memorial Day is almost upon us, and I am hoping to bike from Troutdale, over the Historic Columbia river highway (so beautiful) and end up in Parkdale (about 12 miles south of Hood River on Hwy 35) I know there's been tons of construction along this route and am wondering if anyone has advice of the best way to go. I believe there's about 8 miles of riding along I-84 in between bits of paved bike trail to get to Hood River, then I could ride up Hwy 35. But I'd love to avoid the highway riding.

One suggestion that a mapping program gave me was to leave I-84 and take Wyeth Trail up to Dead Point Rd up to Larch Mountain, ending up at Lost Lake, which then would take me down to parkdale and the campground I'm heading to.

Anyone familiar with these roads? Are they road-bike-able or gravel or...?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I can go ahead and ride the I-84 route, but if there's a beautiful alternative I would sure love to know about it!

Pretty excited about the sun we're finally getting here in the PNW.

thanks, all.
    Sue

Hi Sue, I know nothing of that area, just wanted to say Welcome Back!!

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks, Pax!

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Hi Sue, I know nothing of that area, just wanted to say Welcome Back!!

Did live in Portland for a time and made it up to Troutdale and that area via a car, but never bicycled it. Really miss the area. Would love to hear about your trip if you're willing to share.

There has been lot of upgrades and refurbishing of the trails to parkdale area so I can't be much of a help. I know that you DON'T have to go on I84. check with bikeportland.org and they should be to help you plan your trip or at the very least get you connected to those who know. My house is in Troutdale.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    There has been lot of upgrades and refurbishing of the trails to parkdale area so I can't be much of a help. I know that you DON'T have to go on I84. check with bikeportland.org and they should be to help you plan your trip or at the very least get you connected to those who know. My house is in Troutdale.
    Excellent - thanks for the tip!

Update - I never heard back from BikePortland.org, but I found a friend who had cycled from PDX to Hood River. Turns out there's no good way at this time to avoid riding on I-84. Feeling a little sketchy about trying that route on a busy holiday weekend, I opted to wait until we got to Hood River and then do a ride from there and end up at our campsite in Parkdale. As well-laid plans tend to do, this plan went awry and I ended up doing a shorter ride that afternoon from Parkdale part way up the Lost Lake Road, and then back to the campsite with a little detour up Cooper Spur Road. Some good climbs, and the downhills felt REALLY good in the 85ish degree heat! On our last day, I ended up riding out of Parkdale and down to Hood River, over to the Mosier Twin Tunnels trail, and out to the Rowena Crest viewpoint, then back into Hood River for a total of about 45 miles. Wow. Gorgeous - no pun intended : ) Stunning views of the Gorge and a lovely ride. Pretty hilly, but nothing terribly steep or long, just consistent hills. A great way to end a lovely weekend.
    Ah...summer in Oregon is here! (she types as the rain starts to fall)