Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

That's the way my practice works. It's a very large group, they do almost everything in house (lab, x ray). In the past, I think there was somewhat of a negative reputation, but there are a lot of new, younger doctors there and I have not had anything but professional interaction. You do need to advocate for yourself and know how it all works. I really like my PCP; she is conservative in her approach to everything. It was not necessary for me to go back and see her for the referral. I have a PT appt. for Tuesday morning, before work, and before I go to CA Thursday, for my son's graduation.
    Today I also went to see my endocrinologist, since somehow, I didn't go back to her after my last Prolia treatment for ossteoporosis, in 2014. It worked well, but latest scan shows bad regression. I will be restarting the Prolia and now the protocol has changed... it had just been approved when I took it before and they didn't really know what happened when you stayed on it indefinitely. Apparently it's OK. My doc has 300 people on it and only 5 have had to stop.
    Too much medical stuff today. And one of my friends, who is really well meaning was trying to talk to me like i have some terrible thing wrong with me, concerning my back. She is appalled with the stuff I do at the gym, although she does ride. I love her, but all she talks about is who has what disease!She wanted me to call her tonight, but I did not, and opted to enjoy my quinoa bowl and glass of white wine.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

So I've a better idea now regarding the extent of the neck surgery. I need an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion - but only 1 disc is involved. There ARE others that could be included but he thought there was a lot of tread left on those discs and they may never present a problem. Only a week or so off work...which means the shoulder will be fixed in mid-fall. I really liked the spine surgeon, his manner may not be the most polished but he was very kind and careful that I understood everything - down to what was in those expensive pictures they took last week! Apparently I won't notice the fusion since he said my cervical spine is effectively fused already from all of the large osteophytes, etc.

Both scary and a relief at the same time. I guess that last part means it's time to get it fixed!

That is wonderful news, Catrin! So glad he explained things and it's not as awful as it might have been.

I was thinking of you this morning when I had my mammogram, she asked me if I had shoulder issues and said how difficult it can be for women who do (3D mammogram).

Electra Townie 7D

Good news, Catrin. Glad the timetable is faster than you thought it would be.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Good news, Catrin. Glad the timetable is faster than you thought it would be.
    Yes, and I'm glad he is being conservative and he isn't trying to remove all of those others that are also heading south - but they aren't there yet. Who knows if they will be? I'm more concerned over the shoulder surgery recovery at this point but we will see. I suspect that will be a more "normal" surgery recovery time-line. I refuse to worry about more than one surgery at a time!

July 27th - Surgery #1 date.

Anyone else have a cervical spine disectomy + fusion who might like to send me comments for recovery period tips?

I know someone who had that surgery in early March. She was back on her feet pretty quickly, but felt tired for about 4-6 weeks afterward the procedure. Not able to drive for about a month and then only short trips for a while. She lives near a shopping mall and was going there every day to walk around and build her strength back up since the weather was not great for being outdoors at the time. I saw her a month after the procedure, when she traveled to DC for a weekend visit; she wore a cervical brace for part of the day but not all of it. She said most people are out of work for 3 months during recovery, though she's out 4 months due to the physical requirements of her job. The very good news is that she did not have pain after the surgery and the pain she had before is gone.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Very interesting indeed! I will be back in the office after 2 weeks, but my job requires no lifting/etc. I'm a data wrangler. Good to know she had no pain!

He told me the time away from work varies greatly related to the number of discs being replaced, the nature of the employment, other issues, etc.

Again, very good to hear she had no pain!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

They've convinced me that I really should be in rehab for the first 5 days after surgery #1 (neck) since I live alone. My first reaction was to point at all of the surgeries I've already had where I was home alone afterwards - but - of course - anything can happen. My insurance will fully cover it so I would be just stubborn not to do so. Gulp. I think it just got real, if that makes sense. It isn't like it wasn't already real, but I was spending so much time focusing on the shoulder surgery (surgery #2) as it will have a much longer recovery period that I didn't consider the reality of any spine surgery.

I know someone who had this, lived alone, and did go to rehab for a couple of weeks. You should definitely do it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I know someone who had this, lived alone, and did go to rehab for a couple of weeks. You should definitely do it.
    They only want me there until I come off the narcotics - and it makes sense. It's interesting that they want me there for 7 days, yet I will be back to work & driving in 2 weeks if all goes well. It makes sense that first week would be the most "dangerous" if I should happen to fall or something strange happen due to the drugs. I'm touring the facility on Monday - it's my choice where I go. There are many places closer, but this is a dedicated facility for post-surgery/injury rehab rather than a nursing home that happens to take on a few people with short-term rehab needs. I think it will also make it less likely that I will do something stupid because I've no one around to help me.

Sounds much more peaceful and relaxing to recover that way, than to try and go home and do everything yourself... even the things you probably shouldn't be doing.

Electra Townie 7D

Good choice.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Everyone seems to think so, I've been a bit surprised how relieved everyone is who I've mentioned this!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    They only want me there until I come off the narcotics - and it makes sense. It's interesting that they want me there for 7 days, yet I will be back to work & driving in 2 weeks if all goes well. It makes sense that first week would be the most "dangerous" if I should happen to fall or something strange happen due to the drugs. I'm touring the facility on Monday - it's my choice where I go. There are many places closer, but this is a dedicated facility for post-surgery/injury rehab rather than a nursing home that happens to take on a few people with short-term rehab needs. I think it will also make it less likely that I will do something stupid because I've no one around to help me.
    They should also be able to help you work around any limitations in mobility so that you can function better when you do get home. I know that there are many reasons to prefer to be at home, but sometimes it really is best to be someplace where you're not alone in case you need help.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles