Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

May flowers... and bike rides

Starting the May thread.

No rides for me yet. Anyone else?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks for starting the May thread, NY.

I already replied on the April thread, bit will repeat it, here. And yes, I still ride, every day, though pretty much the same-same, so I don't always post about it.

As per the April thread:

May 2 and some snow showers, here. Someone please send some spring weather, up here.

Had a large tree come crashing down on one of my side trails. Took a lot of sawing and intelligent use of a steel rod to lever the log off the trail, but got it done. May use a smaller section of the log as a log to jump at some point. Hopping logs is a hoot.

Was planning on getting another plus sized tire trail bike, this spring, but the only thing it would offer is a bit more speed on the trail, but would definitely not be as good for riding over rocks and logs or riding in the soft stuff as the fat bikes. Noticeable difference. In fact, most of the trails I have built have been designed for fat bike work. Have now been riding fat bikes long enough to have learned how to turn and maneuver them, quick, in tight spots. As always, experience and know-how is a big part of trail riding.

As soon as I can get a nice day, I plan to dust off the road bike for some long miles. On these cold, windy wet days we've been having, much prefer to bike around home and head indoors, quick, when I get cold. That, and out on the road, wind and higher speeds add to the cold factor.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 05-02-2017 at 08:46 AM.

No riding here. The weather was quite weird today. The rain stopped at around noon, was still cool. It was 49 at 10 am when I got to work.
    At 4 pm, I had a free hour, the sun was out, so I walked for 20 minutes. It was warmer, about 70. Nice. By the time I left work at 6:45, it was windy, getting cloudy and felt cool.
    Have no idea what it will be for my group ride tomorrow, except windy.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

My ride today was nice. About 60, partly cloudy, and yes, windy. There were about 30 people on the longer ride and 6 on the 30 mile ride I did. The others were slower than me, but the leader, who is very good, was going a bit faster and I stayed with him. I took my arm warmers down, so the wind cooled me when I started sweating from the climbs. I've done this ride before and the middle part goes through a section of a town not known for it's beauty, but this is very rural and delightful. I think DH and I are going to steal the route and lead it for the other club!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I did 30 minutes of spinning on an indoor recumbent bike last night after work. After last week's rides I developed a lump in addition to sore spots from trying a different saddle position, and while the soreness is gone and lump is much smaller it's not gone yet. So I wanted to give it a few more days to subside before getting back on my road bike -- with the saddle back in its original position.

Looking ahead to this weekend, we might have rain and/or wind on Saturday. This time of year wind = pollen sandblasting my eyes, so either condition will keep me indoors. Hopefully Sunday will be dry with low winds, even if it ends up cloudy and cool as is currently forecast.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Hope the soreness leaves, NY, but if you've developed a lump, riding will probably aggravate it and possibly lead to an infection. Been there. You're right to hold off a bit.

My allergies (pine pollen?) have been going nuts, too, this last week and every day being windy doesn't help.

Tried the Trek Stashe with its 29+ 3" tires for trail work, today, but forgot that I had the tires inflated more for road work with almost max psi. Way too hard a ride on my trails. Felt like my teeth were rattling. Rather than mess with changing the tire pressure, just switched out bikes and headed back out with one of the fat bikes. Tire pressure is such a big deal with these plus size bikes and fat bikes. A little makes a big difference in the ride.