Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think this rain thing is contagious or something. Hope I didn't send it.

We have another two days of it in the forecast, but nothing real heavy. Mostly the bleak skies and cold wind that are getting to me. Will keep riding, of course, putting my usual minimum of one hour on the trail and adding some road miles when I'm up to it.

Once again, fat bikes to the rescue. Believe it or not, on the wet sections of trail, the deer leave much deeper tracks than the fat bike tires. Even notice a difference between the 4" plus fat bike tires and my Stashe with its 3" tires. For sure, standard 2" MTB tires are no go. Way too much trail damage.

I've been riding pretty much every day, commuting every day except Thursday on the way home last week, and then Saturday and Sunday I did recreational/birding rides. 30 miles on Saturday and 20 miles Sunday with my husband. We drove to the town of Benson and rode 10 miles to the community of St. David, along the San Pedro River. The goal Sunday was to find Mississippi Kites, which were right where we expected to find them. I rode in to work and it's going to be a very warm ride home- 98 degrees....
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Well, another Wednesday, another short ride. The group ride was a lovely 31 mile ride along the north shore. I've done it twice. Weather up there was cloudy and some chance of showers during the beginning of the ride time. From experience, I knew it probably wouldn't outright rain, but by the coast, it would be damp and drizzly. I didn't want to drive an hour for that. Sigh.
    I spent all morning studying for a recertification exam I need to do and went out at 11:45. It was 65 and cloudy, and guess what? It was spitting for the first two miles. Then, it got better; not sunny, but warmer and less clouds. I only rode 13 miles and it felt like a century. My speeds are not really much less than normal, it just feels hard. I am woefully underprepared for my trip; haven't done any rides longer than 32 miles. I ended up doing just under 13 miles, and that was extended because I made a wrong turn onto a main road and went back a way I knew would be longer than 10 miles.
    This is discouraging.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'm planning to attempt a real bike ride this weekend. Of course since it's late May all my friends will be doing long, challenging rides, but I want to keep it relatively short and simple because I haven't ridden in 3 weeks. I'm looking at some of the posted club rides to see if I can come up with a short-cut route that will allow me to ride part of the time with friends. I'm also planning to put my old saddle back on the bike; the one I've been using lately is the same as the old one, just newer, because the foam in the old one seemed to have gotten too squishy. But given the problems I've had recently with the new saddle, I think a too-squishy old one might be a good idea, at least for a while. The strange lump on the narrow part of the bone in front of my sit bone is almost gone and I really don't want it to come back.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Hang in, there, Crankin'. You, too, NY. We all know how tough it is to get back into top long distance riding form after a layoff, so keep your spirits up. I'm there, too, in fact. Haven't done anything longer than 30 miles, so far in '17. I should do more road work, though, to balance out all my trail riding. My excuse is that trail riding is just so convenient, given that I have trails right outside my door and yeah, I'm addicted to it, too. Road work, though, does build a different kind of endurance, so I need add a little for the sake of balance in my riding.

A long week and a half of cloudy, gloomy, wet weather and the sun is out, this morning. I'm in heaven.

Thanks North Woods. I'm just trying to roll with it, finding other ways to be productive or entertain myself (I am Groot! ) when I can't get out and ride my bike. It is what it is, just have to try to make the best of it.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle

Gone but not forgotten:

And now, I am sick... it's allergy based, but I couldn't ride today, if I had to. It's raining, though. Praying I wake up fine tomorrow, as this needs to be a training weekend.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I have a plan for this weekend, having figured out a way to meet up and ride with a friend on part of the long ride he's doing. Hopefully others will also join us and the rain will hold off until we're done. The forecast for the whole weekend is very "maybe it will rain."

Last night I put the old saddle back on my bike. In doing so I noticed that it was slightly off center, which means the new one that has caused problems was also slight off center. This probably contributed to the problems, which were all on one side. I am very much hoping that the problems will not recur.

I hope you feel better, Crankin.

Gone but not forgotten: