Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    That does sound exactly the same as my jaw was, Emily. I wish I could give you a timeline. But I've no idea.
    Understandable! I am encouraged that it sounds like a similar situation, though. I know everyone is different, and your resolution doesn't mean that mine will resolve similarly, but I have all digits crossed. I would be so, so, SO happy and relieved if I could get my jaw alignment back without surgery!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Interesting...IBrake.

I feel for you Emily.
    My rehab (totally different injury) took 6 months. lst few weeks, I could not walk much..I got dizzy. I had learn to balance and walk fast again,...before getting back on bike. Take your time to recover and try to sleep normal sleep cycles. It's important for the sleep pattern is re-established. I'm back normal about 80% there, sleep-wise. I'm saying this now, because the older we get, the harder it is to re-establish normal sleep length after major incident. I had to see a sleep doctor (he specializes in sleep disorders) about this.
    I'm sleeping pretty well, so far. I haven't been a great sleeper since peri-menopause, though. I wake up a lot and sometimes have long periods of wakefulness in the wee hours. But I'm going to bed the same time I used to and waking up the same time. I know how important sleep is to recovery; it's when our bodies do lots and lots of work we don't even realize!

I get more tired than normal during the day, but since we've been at my mom's, I haven't gotten to nap any. Naps would be good, but I'm doing pretty well just one week out. My swelling has come down a lot, and now my neck is a lovely combination of greenish yellow and red, as the blood does it's gravity thing. Doesn't hurt, but looks a bit horrifying. Normally I wouldn't go out in public at all, but since I'm in my mother's city, we've been to a couple stores. No one else seems as horrified by the way I look as I do!
    Emily

Emily, I just saw this. I'm so sorry this happened to you! You're such a sweet person. You don't deserve this! I hope you're feeling better, and I hope your jaw realigns without more medical intervention.

What a horrible crash!

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Thanks, red!

I agree, I don't deserve this. Then again, no one does. I only hope I didn't traumatize the little girl so much she never wants to ride her tiny bike again!

Thank you for your kind words. <3
    Emily

UPDATE: I got in to see my PCP today. She pretty much confirmed my thoughts that I am healing well except for my jaw malocclusion, which is not resolving, despite the fact that much of the swelling is gone. She thinks the numbness will heal naturally in time, but she did refer me to an oral surgeon to check out my jaw further.

Trying to get an appointment was a real illustration of our crazy health-care system in this country. Despite marking my need as "Urgent/Stat", and being a Duke doctor herself, when the referral coordinator tried to get me an appointment at Duke's Oral-Maxillofacial clinic, the best they could offer me was an appointment on June 5. That's ridiculous. The other referral coordinator in the office overheard our discussion and frustration with that so called UNC, but they require a written letter from a physician, and I knew that would add extra time and complexity, so I mentioned that one DMD in private practice was also on my insurance company's list of covered physicians. They called his office and were able to get me set up for an appointment next Tuesday, May 9. Not quite as soon as I'd hoped, but better than June!

After I have my consultation, we'll know what our summer will look like, if I require surgery, etc.... It's hard to wait, but at least I feel like I'm one step closer as of today.
    Emily

I hope you get good news from the oral surgeon. I'm going on Monday to a new doctor for my ankle, which is now hurting more since I walked to get lunch yesterday for the first time since things started to hurt in late January. So perhaps we will both know what our summers will look like by early next week.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Glad you got that stepin the process underway, seems like actually getting appointments is what drags the recovery out so long.

Electra Townie 7D

So glad you were able to get the appointment. Keeping my fingers crossed, no surgery needed!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good luck Emily! So glad you were able to get in, though this week would have been better for your stress level if you're anything like me. Please keep us posted and hoping for good news!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks all, will keep you posted!
    Emily

Crossing fingers that all will go well for all of you and that your cycling season can resume quickly.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

UPDATE: I finally got in to see an oral surgeon yesterday and had a 3D image of my jaw taken. Pretty freaky to see your skull up on a huge computer screen! Unfortunately, the CT scan the ER in Georgia did did not detect THREE jaw fractures that I received in my accident. The oral surgeon was not surprised as my fractures are rather subtle, but there nonetheless. He is going to consult with a colleague on my case today, but it appears I will have to have my jaw wired shut for awhile, possibly followed by Invisalign braces to continue re-aligning my bite. I'm a bit overwhelmed but not really surprised, given how wonky my bite is since my accident. Looks like I'm in it for the long haul....

As if that weren't enough, I caught a cold (fortunately on the wane now) with much coughing AND have an itchy tick bite on my leg. Fortunately I got it off before it had latched on for long, but it still itches. When it rains it pours!!!
    Emily

So glad a competent doctor got a look at you, Emily. Sorry it's going to be a long fix though. Hopefully you'll see some good results quickly!

Electra Townie 7D

Wow. It's frustrating to think that the CT scan was not able to pick up the fractures, though I guess the inflammation you had at the time might have made it harder for them to show up. A friend had a similar experience last year after a bike crash, with the initial x-rays showing one injury but a follow-up x-ray showing something else. But, at least now you know what's wrong and what needs to be done to fix it.

I actually recently saw a doctor who had his jaw wired shut due to a fracture. He was able to talk well enough for me to understand him. He mentioned a liquid diet, and looking forward to getting back to eating real food. Hopefully you won't be wired up for too many weeks.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Glad you have more info Emily but sorry about the consequences of the info. The thing about the wired jaw I’d be thinking about is filling my freezer with my favorite ice cream’s for some wonderful milkshakes. and Rainbow's ftw...and remember the clouds that come floating into our lives can also add beautiful colour's to a sunset sky. Wishing for a quicker healing process than anticipated.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron