Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I never lost consciousness, shootingstar. I remember everything about the crash, before, during, and after; the people helping at the campground (good folks), the ambulance ride (endless and painful!) and my time in the ER. They did ask me some questions to assess that I knew where I was, who I was, what day it was, stuff like that. I guess they decided my brain was okay. And since then I haven't noticed any weirdness in my thinking, confusion, etc. Just some depression, but I expect that comes with the territory. I was having such a good cycling year, over 1600 miles already, and my bike was finally dialed in. I was really looking forward to lots of riding this year and a great trip out west in our motorhome. Now we may be stuck close to doctors for some time. We just don't know yet, and that uncertainty is also a bit frustrating. I am a planner, and in this situation, I have to try to live more day-to-day. The healing process takes time, and I am not the most patient person!

I have an appointment with my PCP a week from today and will go from there. Have already researched a good oral surgeon should my jaw not line back up once the swelling is down. A lot of the swelling is already gone, but certainly not all.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I understand how you feel. I am struggling to be inactive, even with all that is going on with my back. I am a bit better, but like you, I am a planner, and all I can think about are the cycling obligations I have, along with the fact I have hardly any riding under my belt and my trip is in 8 weeks. I can easily give up the gym stuff, as per my doctor, until I find out what is going on, but I can imagine how you feel, with your summer trip all planned. At least you will be with a familiar doctor.
    It sounds like Murienn's experience was pretty positive in the end, for a similar injury. I'd say try to focus on healing, enjoy your time with your mom, and don't predict the worst. Our brains are programmed to do that, so it is a fight.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    They did ask me some questions to assess that I knew where I was, who I was, what day it was, stuff like that...
    Alway hated having to assess my mental health clients for their level of orientation, half the time I don't know what day it is, rarely know where I am, and NEVER know what time it is.

Electra Townie 7D

It feels intrusive to do it, with someone who is obviously with it, and coming to counseling for depression, trauma, or anxiety. I understand the necessity when someone may be having psychosis, is delusional, paranoid, etc, but I have only had one person not know what day it was in the past 8 years, and that was in my internship, with a different population.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Alway hated having to assess my mental health clients for their level of orientation, half the time I don't know what day it is, rarely know where I am, and NEVER know what time it is.
    +1

But I still know every note of the songs I listened to in the 1970s...

I'm glad the swelling is already subsiding, Emily. That's a good sign.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    +1

But I still know every note of the songs I listened to in the 1970s...
    Ditto. I amazes my wife that I am so out of synch with the construct of time; I have a built in GPS and can tell you which way is north no matter where I am, but time/date is hard. For example, in my head right now, it's an afternoon in October, it's been October for a long time now, ifI follow my usual pattern it will be July soon and for the next few months. I love my head!

Electra Townie 7D

Oh, Emily, so sorry to read this. I hope everything heals well. I think it impossible for humans to pay attention to everything and we just can't prevent everything- even when we know in hindsight we could have done something. Don't get into a constant re-run of the accident because it's happened and now you just have to go forward.

My two small bike crashes were caused by inattentiveness / judgement. The hematoma on my thigh took a full 6 months to disappear- at one point it was the size of half an orange! So it may take time and we don't heal as fast as kids.

Good for all concerned that the girl is okay.

Hugs- Sharon
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Emily, please don't jump the gun with an oral surgeon. Once the swelling and inflammation go down, you may just need some physical therapy (are you taking lots of anti-inflammatories?). So much joint pain is the result of muscle imbalance and the jaw is so complex with two sides trying to work together to move in multiple directions. A very simple alignment exercise is to put your tongue on the roof of your mouth, just behind the front teeth. Slowly open your mouth about 75% of the way to feel a gentle stretch and hold for about 10 seconds. Keep your tongue there while you slowly close your mouth. Repeat a bunch of times. I do this every morning, and other times during the day (in the car, at the computer). You can google TMJ exercises.

I had PT for my jaw. The therapist massaged the muscles inside and out (she wore gloves) and did some manual manipulation. I had TMJ surgery several months earlier and had a hard recovery, probably because I didn't have the PT right away. The PT was very beneficial, the surgery not so much.

I really hope that with time, things will take care of themselves.

How are you feeling today, Emily? Hope each day is a bit better, it's hard to be patient these days since it seems like we don't bounce back like we did in our 20's, but you'll get there!

Electra Townie 7D

Yes, thinking about you, Emily. Hang in there.

Emily, so sorry about the accident. I hope your feeling better. Hopefully, the parents will keep a closer eye on their toddler. Love reading about your biking adventures so take time needed to heal and think about all the wonderful times you've experienced on two wheels.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I've written a blog post that is a little more detailed than what I posted here about my accident, if anyone is interested: http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com/t...-bike-accident

Thanks especially for your recommendations, IBrakeForPastry. When I see my PCP, I'll certainly discuss PT and see what she thinks re. a more conservative approach. The only reason I mentioned an oral surgeon is because a friend who is a dentist highly recommended I consult with one in case the jaw does not come back in line. Right now, though my swelling has gone down some, I have a bad cross bite and most of my teeth are not touching. I cannot jut my lower jaw out past my upper teeth, so it kind of seems that my lower jaw got shoved way back and probably to one side as well. Gentle physical manipulation may be all it takes to bring it back, but possibly not. I am prepared for whatever. I just want to be able to eat, smile, and talk the way I used to and hope that in time, that will be possible.

Every day I feel better, but I still have a lot of numbness, bruises, and some swelling, though it's come down a lot. I think I've made huge progress in six days, though!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks for the update, Emily. All I can think of is "Oh, ouch. Migraine!" I hope the improvement continues at a good pace!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    Emily, please don't jump the gun with an oral surgeon. Once the swelling and inflammation go down, you may just need some physical therapy (are you taking lots of anti-inflammatories?). So much joint pain is the result of muscle imbalance and the jaw is so complex with two sides trying to work together to move in multiple directions. A very simple alignment exercise is to put your tongue on the roof of your mouth, just behind the front teeth. Slowly open your mouth about 75% of the way to feel a gentle stretch and hold for about 10 seconds. Keep your tongue there while you slowly close your mouth. Repeat a bunch of times. I do this every morning, and other times during the day (in the car, at the computer). You can google TMJ exercises.

I had PT for my jaw. The therapist massaged the muscles inside and out (she wore gloves) and did some manual manipulation. I had TMJ surgery several months earlier and had a hard recovery, probably because I didn't have the PT right away. The PT was very beneficial, the surgery not so much.

I really hope that with time, things will take care of themselves.
    Interesting...IBrake.

I feel for you Emily.
    My rehab (totally different injury) took 6 months. lst few weeks, I could not walk much..I got dizzy. I had learn to balance and walk fast again,...before getting back on bike. Take your time to recover and try to sleep normal sleep cycles. It's important for the sleep pattern is re-established. I'm back normal about 80% there, sleep-wise. I'm saying this now, because the older we get, the harder it is to re-establish normal sleep length after major incident. I had to see a sleep doctor (he specializes in sleep disorders) about this.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Hope your jaw is decreasing in size, Emily!
    I only asked about the oral surgeon as I wasn't sure who would treat this kind of injury. But, I too, have been to PT for my jaw. Not the result of an accident, just jaw,TMJ, neck pain that the regular PT (not the one I have now) couldn't resolve. He sent me to a colleague in a different town, who gave me exercises that resolved the issue in about 3 weeks. I did most of the exercises in the car, on the way to work, and throughout the day.
    The funniest thing was, when I was seeing her, it was one of those open, big PT rooms, where everyone does their work in the same place. In walked a guy a I went to elementary school with! He was mortified, but, I thought it was funny. We were in Harvard, MA, about 40 miles west of where I grew up.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura