Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: 2016 tours

2016 tours

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't stopped by here for a while. Last summer was full of cycling. I started the spring in the best shape of my life thanks to a rigorous schedule of spin classes over the 2015 winter I was able to start right back into 40-50 mile rides. There was a reason for it though. I needed to be in shape to survive two 5 day tours. The first was in mid-June upstate NY to Montreal then south into Vermont and a ferry ride back into NY. It was about 330 miles traveled with two women from my usual riding group. Both of whom broke their legs riding bikes in July. The second was also 5 days but this time it was for my third crossing of Ohio. Three times is enough if you are basically doing the same route. This time it was with my brother and my niece. It should have been nice. They had both been on long rides before so they knew what to expect. They both have knee issues one seems to be arthritis settled in an old injury. The other might be the same. They spent the day going two different speeds and taking lots of breaks and lots of ibprofin. I waited, tried to ride with each of them, and was a bit tired of their complaints by the end of the day. Day two went better they started the day with ibprofin and stretching. We were able to ride together more and we were in the flattest part of Ohio. My brother's bike wasn't shifting well. His chain was dry. I picked up some 3-in- 1 oil and it quieted for most of the day. Then the shifting issues started. I'm working on my crazyguyonabike pages now and will paste the link here when I'm finished. Hope you all had wonderful summers last year. The riding was going so well I was on track to easily hit my 3,000 mile riding goal for the year. But then my Dad died. He suffered for years with diabetes and heart disease. He had been struggling with his health on and off the last couple of years. I had a really difficult time finishing up the season. I had trouble getting to the gym over the winter. This year I'm going to have trouble with my 3,000 mile goal. But my riding buddies are all healed up and ready to ride so I'm going to try to make the most of it. I still want to ride but having trouble getting the same enjoyment out of it right now.
    Last edited by Hartmame; 04-22-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46

I'm sorry about your dad.

The NY-Montreal-Vermont ride sounds lovely. I've never done any bike touring and don't expect to do any in the near future, but if I ever start I would like to tour in upstate NY.

I've known people who had major injuries or health setbacks in the spring but were still able to get in 5000 miles for the year. So you never know, you might end up reaching 3000 more easily than it seems now. I hope your riding buddies help you get back to the level of enjoyment you've had in the past.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Hi there Hartmame glad you checked in! Don't beat yourself up. Every year is different. We've had a hellish winter and talk about out of shape, yikes. Well my "beer arm" is in great shape but my legs and lungs - not so much (hee hee) My big plan this year it to ride the Baja Divide in November/December. Going with the DH. We are in the process of switching to tubeless rims and tires on the desert bikes and if it ever stops raining (sigh) we'll be doing our best to get out into the Owyhee desert as much as possible. Look forward to your crazy guy journal, please post the link.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Sorry about the loss of your dad, Hartmame. When I lost my dad in 2005, it took a long time for me to get back on the bike. It did a number on my riding. I hope you are able to find joy in riding again soon, but be gentle with yourself and take the time you need to get back. I had my best cycling year ever (7500 miles!) in 2014, so you never know.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thank you all. The encouragement and knowing others have been through this are nice to know. I'm hoping to push through and just have faith that the enjoyment will return. The dreary spring weather isn't helping. I'm doing shorter rides but trying to get out and soak up some sunshine. No short tours planned this year yet though my brother has asked about riding the Katy Trail. If I do that I'll just be winging it. Thanks again it's great to hear from fellow cyclists
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46