Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Day five of antibiotics and it's starting to look better.

Rebecca, a light wheelchair would have made the trip far better! Fortunately, ever since my poor knee replacement outcome, I carry a folding cane when we travel, that came in very handy.

Electra Townie 7D

Oh how the mighty have fallen...just had a 2.13 mile hike on a rather easy trail and am calling it GOOD! Kind of feel like Ms. HumptyDumpty getting put back together again - but thankful for this little respite between surgeries! Pity it took this to final persuade me to start listening to my body - but of course it's never been quite good at talking to me anyway.

I did notice that we didn't, apparently, have the initial change of leaf colors that usually happens in August. Normally things start a bit in August for a week, then stops for another month or so. Lovely to be outside though, just lovely!

I hiked, today, also. Was so busy with riding and a bit of work yesterday, I had stuff to do for part of today.
    We went to a new place, about 20 minutes west of here. A series of trails on conservation land, in the town of Bolton. There's a total of 6, almost 7 miles, but since the forecast was iffy in the afternoon, we also did "only" 2.5. I will add that the trailhead we started at is off of a road that has one of the more notorious climbs I've done locally, on my bike. I haven't climbed it in a few years, but I have descended it more recently, so I knew there would be some elevation in the woods.
    What a nice area! We followed a route that included the trail to the summit, but we had a combo of thick woods, a field of late summer wildflowers, and a swampy pond, with some very faint color in the maples around it.
    We agreed we will go back and do the longer hike, next time. My back/hamstring, and calves are screaming from a combo of my ride home from Philly last week, boot camp, step class, and a 30 mile ride. I'm on a HTFU binge, so ice and stretching has commenced big time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I hiked, today, also. Was so busy with riding and a bit of work yesterday, I had stuff to do for part of today.
    We went to a new place, about 20 minutes west of here. A series of trails on conservation land, in the town of Bolton. There's a total of 6, almost 7 miles, but since the forecast was iffy in the afternoon, we also did "only" 2.5. I will add that the trailhead we started at is off of a road that has one of the more notorious climbs I've done locally, on my bike. I haven't climbed it in a few years, but I have descended it more recently, so I knew there would be some elevation in the woods.
    What a nice area! We followed a route that included the trail to the summit, but we had a combo of thick woods, a field of late summer wildflowers, and a swampy pond, with some very faint color in the maples around it.
    We agreed we will go back and do the longer hike, next time. My back/hamstring, and calves are screaming from a combo of my ride home from Philly last week, boot camp, step class, and a 30 mile ride. I'm on a HTFU binge, so ice and stretching has commenced big time.
    Your hike sounds great Crankin! I love the description of the mixed terrain you were in, and you've had a great week of activities!

I will admit I am a bit frustrated on the physical activity side of things. My 2.13 mile hike today was the longest since early June due to physical issues, and it was on a rather level/uniform trail. It DID, however, happen and for that I am thankful. My lack of an ability to really exercise is only temporary, my shoulder surgeon tells me that it will take a year to full recover but I can start things that look like exercise in 6 months, I am happy! Attached is a shot from a delightful hike last Saturday that went through a combination of woods, tall-grass prairie, and a historic bridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calm.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	18320
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-10-2017 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Correction

Looks nice! Six months to recover from that kind of surgery isn't unrealistic. I am sure you will be able to "walk" before that. I mean, walking, like on a sidewalk.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Looks nice! Six months to recover from that kind of surgery isn't unrealistic. I am sure you will be able to "walk" before that. I mean, walking, like on a sidewalk.
    Hopefully I can start that pretty quickly, depending on the weather and sling as I can't risk falling. I mean anything that raises my heart rate.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-10-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Today we hiked in the Mt. Sugarloaf State Reservation, in Sunderland, MA, which is by Amherst. This is not to be confused with Sugarloaf Ski area, in VT.
    There is a short trail that goes to a tower, but we decided to do the other set of trails, at a different trailhead. The trails were wide and nice; some rocky roots, etc, but after all, it is New England. We had quite a climb and I was feeling good. We hiked a bit over 3 miles, with 570 ft. of elevation. The view from the summit was excellent, where we could see all of the towns on one side of the CT. River. Afterwards, we went with our friends to a harvest fair in Hatfield, which was a little sparse of good things, and then we ate at an amazing general store/market near their house, in Whately. A lot like Vermont.
    We had a productive weekend, planning and reserving our x country ski vacation in February, near Craftsbury, VT and reserving our inn for our annual Berkshires trip in July. We have to go a week earlier than usual, as the inn is booked for a wedding during our usual dates. A younger couple bought the place, so they have made a lot of changes. We also made dinner reservations for our first two theatre nights in Boston, when our friends come and stay with us. So, I am sorry i didn't ride on a gorgeous day, today, but the hike was outstanding, and I want to go back and do more mileage there.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sounds wonderful! Is a State Reservation more like a State Park, or a State Wilderness Area? In Indiana the latter means very few facilities, no camping, usually gravel road only access, etc.

The Feb trip sounds great as well, glad you're able to line it up on Oct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yeah, if you don't reserve places near ski areas early, it's difficult. We are going the week before the February school vacation, though, so it's easier, as well as the fact this is very far north, near the Canadian border. We love the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, it's the place where there will be snow, if there's any snow to be had, and there's a growing number of cool restaurants and breweries. There's only one downhill area near here, so there's none of that vibe we find in Stowe, where even the nordic centers are expensive.
    I am not sure what the difference is, between a state reservation and park. It's not a wilderness area by any means, and since we were not at the main trailhead, I can't comment on the facilities. Some state parks here do not have camping (in fact, most), so in typical Massachusetts fashion, it makes no sense.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yeah, if you don't reserve places near ski areas early, it's difficult. We are going the week before the February school vacation, though, so it's easier, as well as the fact this is very far north, near the Canadian border. We love the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, it's the place where there will be snow, if there's any snow to be had, and there's a growing number of cool restaurants and breweries. There's only one downhill area near here, so there's none of that vibe we find in Stowe, where even the nordic centers are expensive.
    I am not sure what the difference is, between a state reservation and park. It's not a wilderness area by any means, and since we were not at the main trailhead, I can't comment on the facilities. Some state parks here do not have camping (in fact, most), so in typical Massachusetts fashion, it makes no sense.
    Northeast Kingdom of Vermont? Love it!

In Indiana, I think the main difference between a state wilderness area and a state park is the kind of facilities (camping, picnic spots, parking, signage, etc.) that has been invested. Some state parks have camping, some do not. Last October I and a friend took on a 10 mile hike for my 57th birthday in a state wilderness area. The main thing I remember that I considered a substantial difference (outside of the miles of gravel roads to GET there) was the lack of trail signage that played out in an unexpected way. We parked in a very small lot at the trail head of a 10 mile loop. There was a hitch a couple miles in where we wound up off the trail as we followed what we thought WAS the trail...until it disappeared in a creek and didn't pick back up the other side. That's not unusual, and we easily figured it out. That was not the problem. The problem was that the trail name ends in the word "loop". On the highly stylized trail map we found online that turned out to be basically useless, it LOOKED like a loop trail. Some hours later we reached the other end of the trail...but it did not end at the parking lot where we started. There were no signs directing us to the parking lot. There were no signs at all and it was quickly approaching dark.

Thankfully I did have a memory of driving past a feature we were looking at on the way to the parking lot, and I looked down a large field to see some people coming out of the woods - about a quarter mile away. They were headed our way so I caught up with them as quickly as I could and found out that the parking lot where we had started was across two fields and through the woods, about a half mile away. They laughed and shook their heads about the number of first timers who got lost for the same reason. Considering how few people we had seen that day, I could see how there could be a problem the wrong time of the year. The lesson, of course, was to not trust that a loop trail really IS a loop. There was no cell signal there, no way finding markers outside of a couple of tree markings, and the lesson was a good reminder. It was a great day however, and there was no harm from the little adventure at the end. I DID make a map by exporting the GPS points in my phone and posted it online for others. I had hoped to repeat the hike this year, well that can't happen with the 2 surgeries, but hopefully I can do it next year, and without the shin splints this time!

Oy, that's the kind of thing that scares me about hiking. It's primarily the reason we bought the upgraded All Trails app. We use that and take a paper map, if there is one. Last March, when we did Little Monadnock, we were following an All Trails route. However, there was some snow on the ground and it was a little hard to follow, even with the app. There were markers, but at one point, I am pretty sure we got off of the trail and bushwhacked. At least with the app, we could see where to go. This was a longer, technical hike, and I was not happy. I don't hike alone, unless it is a very well known, easy to follow trail, because of this. I have a good sense of direction on the road, but once I get in the woods, no. Once, I decided to go mountain biking alone, after work. I went to a place that I hike, ski, snow shoe, and used to mountain bike in. It was not as well marked as it is now, and I took a wrong turn. After realizing I had reached the boundary, at a river, I went back, and ended up at a road, which was not the road/parking my car was at. I knew where it was, and I could have ridden back on the road, to my car, but managed to find my way back on the trail. It really creeped me out. I skied there a few times, after work, and while I stuck to main trails, there were always weird guys skiing in jeans that also creeped me out. Harmless, of course, but I stopped going there alone.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

These trails aren't even on the All Trails app., or so we were told. I hike alone all of the time (at least before this year), and have never had a problem. However, when I am alone I only go to trails I know well and see a lot of traffic. This was the first time that I had been in a "state wilderness area", and we didn't know what that meant. It was, however, just lovely. Nor did I realize that a BAD idea it would be to go on a 10 mile hike with new orthotics in rigid hiking boots (my podiatrist apologized for not warning me) - but that was my fault. It WAS a great day, regardless of the fact I still have shin splints in one leg a year later. We just assumed that the map we saw from the State Park system was accurate...but map scale matters greatly, and it was a good lesson learned (the scale made it look like a real loop). I DO want to go back someday. There is another 10 mile loop trail in the same park that is apparently much easier to get lost as it has multiple trails crossing it. The "only" reason we got confused was that it didn't end where it started - which is a bit of a problem if it isn't expected. Very thankful we didn't hit the OTHER 10 mile loop.

You were smart to stop going there alone, if there are those on the trail who creep you out especially. I am sure they were harmless, but it's good to listen to ourselves.

DH and I lost the urge to ride today, with 20+ mph wind gusts predicted.
    Time to hike. We decided to go back to Middesex Fells, which is a large, close to Boston hiking area, in the city my son lives in. Well, part of it is. The most difficult trail is quite rocky and challenging; we started a hike on it last year, but it was when my foot was healing, so we ended up doing another hike there, and got very lost. We were on a time schedule, so we knew we probably would not get the whole trail done. It's an out and back. We go to the first fire tower, as it's pretty near the start, with a great view of the Boston skyline. I think we probably did about 2 miles on this trail, when we decided to get onto one of the parallel trails to head back. Lots of climbing, steep descents, and rocks. I handled it pretty well. It was partly cloudy and windy and VERY humid. I was totally soaked! After 45 minutes of this, we were ready for lunch, so once we got on a flatter trail, we sat on a rock and ate. I am pretty sure it's where we ate last time. However, this time, DH was more adept at using the All Trails app and we did not get lost coming back. We did a total of 3.8 miles and I know I will feel it tomorrow.
    We then went to see my granddaughter and my son. She was zooming around on her little push trike... they have a hand me down strider, and I think she will be ready for it quite soon. She's fearless.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sounds like a nice hike (except for the humidity) and day, Crankin! Just make sure your son and DIL always, always watch your granddaughter when she zooms around. A toddler on a push bike who was NOT being watched was how I had my jaw-breaking endo this spring. I am super wary around kids on bike paths anyway, but this was on a road and with no line of sight -- and no one paying attention to the fact that she decided to cross the road!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Right now she is zooming in the house!
    They are not dumb enough to bring her on a trail. They have a pond near their house, with a path around it. Or, she can practice in our cul-de-sac.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura