Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Right now she is zooming in the house!
    They are not dumb enough to bring her on a trail. They have a pond near their house, with a path around it. Or, she can practice in our cul-de-sac.
    I figured they were a lot smarter than the folks at the campground when I had my accident. Dad had apparently told her brothers to keep an eye on her, but of course they got involved in watching something else and forgot.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Did a hike in another new place yesterday; Mt. Pisgah, in Berlin and Northboro, MA. Yes, I know there's a real, and more famous mountain by this name in NC....
    This area was part of the bike tour of the conservation lands owned by the Sudbury Valley Trustees we did in September. Driving there was interesting, as I got to see just how hilly that ride was. Anyway, we took a route from All Trails, which is good, though sometimes, we have found the hiker we copy it from goes bushwhacking... The beginning was normal rocky, rooty, wooded, and flat. Only saw one hiker and one mountain biker, despite the fact there were other cars there. We were traversing the side of the hill for awhile. At one point, we couldn't find the trail, we were right next to it, and then suddenly, we were on it. Then, we started climbing; it was quite rocky, but not hard. After this, we got on a very twisty trail, deciding to avoid a little extra loop, that was just more of the same. What we discovered was the trail system was marked well in the areas closer to the start, but not so much as we went on. So then, we got to a larger climb. We could see the hill and the ridge that went on along the top. We were supposed to turn left on a trail to go up the climb, but we just could not find it at the spot the All Trails indicated. So, up we went, bushwhacking. Not really bushwhacking, as there were not trees, just tons of slippery leaves! It had to have been 20%, maybe more. I eventually had to get on all fours, as I felt I was going to slide down. DH was just a bit ahead and finally saw the trail, when we were pretty near the top. That was an experience, and the only time I broke a sweat. Theere was a viewpoint at the summit, though I was not sure what I was seeing. We ate our lunch near the summit, at a trail intersection, when we started seeing more people. There was a trail here, directly from the lot, up to the summit. We decided not to take it, as we could go a little farther and turn toward the lot, without doing the whole 6.5 miles. I felt a little chilled after lunch, not sure why. I was perfectly dressed, with 3 thin layers, but my heaviest base layer. It was sunny and about 33 when we started and 38 when we got back. I think stopping to eat after the climb did it. Near the end saw several more mt bikers and a few dog walkers, but basically, this was a quiet hike.
    We will start earlier next time, to do the whole 6 miles. I think we did 4.3. A good workout.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Did a hike in another new place yesterday; Mt. Pisgah, in Berlin and Northboro, MA. Yes, I know there's a real, and more famous mountain by this name in NC....
    This area was part of the bike tour of the conservation lands owned by the Sudbury Valley Trustees we did in September. Driving there was interesting, as I got to see just how hilly that ride was. Anyway, we took a route from All Trails, which is good, though sometimes, we have found the hiker we copy it from goes bushwhacking... The beginning was normal rocky, rooty, wooded, and flat. Only saw one hiker and one mountain biker, despite the fact there were other cars there. We were traversing the side of the hill for awhile. At one point, we couldn't find the trail, we were right next to it, and then suddenly, we were on it. Then, we started climbing; it was quite rocky, but not hard. After this, we got on a very twisty trail, deciding to avoid a little extra loop, that was just more of the same. What we discovered was the trail system was marked well in the areas closer to the start, but not so much as we went on. So then, we got to a larger climb. We could see the hill and the ridge that went on along the top. We were supposed to turn left on a trail to go up the climb, but we just could not find it at the spot the All Trails indicated. So, up we went, bushwhacking. Not really bushwhacking, as there were not trees, just tons of slippery leaves! It had to have been 20%, maybe more. I eventually had to get on all fours, as I felt I was going to slide down. DH was just a bit ahead and finally saw the trail, when we were pretty near the top. That was an experience, and the only time I broke a sweat. Theere was a viewpoint at the summit, though I was not sure what I was seeing. We ate our lunch near the summit, at a trail intersection, when we started seeing more people. There was a trail here, directly from the lot, up to the summit. We decided not to take it, as we could go a little farther and turn toward the lot, without doing the whole 6.5 miles. I felt a little chilled after lunch, not sure why. I was perfectly dressed, with 3 thin layers, but my heaviest base layer. It was sunny and about 33 when we started and 38 when we got back. I think stopping to eat after the climb did it. Near the end saw several more mt bikers and a few dog walkers, but basically, this was a quiet hike.
    We will start earlier next time, to do the whole 6 miles. I think we did 4.3. A good workout.
    Sounds lovely! I like you were able to go bush/leaf-whacking. 😎 I'm looking forward so much to when I can hit dirt again and really enjoyed your description.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Today we did our first snow shoe of the year. We did order new snow shoes, but they haven't arrived yet. Ours are ok, but 13 years old and there are newer latching mechanisms. Going to give them to my son and DIL.
    We went to a conservation land trail in the town of Stow, MA, near the town we used to live in. It's pretty close, we ride in this area a lot, but I haven't been here in ages. DH used to mountain bike here with my younger son, when he was 13! Anyway, we had 6 inches of snow, it was over 30 degrees and bright sun this morning. I really wanted to ski, but despite the 2 local and kind of local nordic centers opening, they were clear it was a "rock ski" day, for old skis. Since I only have one pair, I was good. There were a few signs that 1-2 other people had been on the trail, but we were breaking trail for most of the 3.3 miles. We started with a climb, then it was flat, and then we had a long and steep climb. It was tough going, but beautiful. As we descended, we got to a point where we were behind a community center and ball field, on a main road, which feels so weird, since I really felt I was in the middle of nowhere. By this time, I felt like I was on the way to getting blisters. The snow was getting sticky and clumping in the crampon and every step felt hard. My hiking boots are broken in, I put Body Glide on my feet, so I think it's really the weight of these snow shoes. I hiked 4 miles yesterday (no snow) and was fine.
    We slowed a lot, but made it back. My heels are red, but no blisters. Hoping the new snow shoes are better. It was a gorgeous day out and I keep remembering how lucky I am to live near all of these great places.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

That sounds fun, Crankin. I suspect snow shoeing is something I'll never get to try in this lifetime! I hope the new shoes will be better but glad you didn't get blistered. Blisters are the worst!

We did quite a bit of walking over the weekend (and I worked out in the gym yesterday), but no cycling. Just too darn cold and windy here in central Florida! So strange that we were in shorts and short sleeves just a few days ago. We rode M, Tu, W, and Friday, and Friday was short-sleeves weather. By Sat. am, we were in fleece and wool to walk to the downtown markets!

Tomorrow it's supposed to be a pinch warmer, though very windy, so we'll head out for a ride. A couple more cold fronts are due throughout the week, so I'll be happy if we get to ride one more day during the week. We just don't enjoy riding when it's below 60 degrees, though we'll do it in a pinch. Glad we can walk if all else fails.
    Emily

Crankin - I've never used snow shoes but it sounds like fun! Outside from a memorable record breaker 3-4 years ago, we just do not get all that much snow that sticks around. Sadly, although I do hope that trend continues this year so I am not tempted to get out there and do something I should not to. For some reason I'm only tempted to winter hiking when it is crazy cold and all is covered with snow and ice. Go figure, and I'm the winter weenie!

Starting to be able to hit the gym - even if all I am allowed to do is an elliptical 'bike' with optional arm involvement. It is, however, movement - and my deconditioned body after 2 major surgeries since the end of July is most appreciative!

We don't get that much snow here, anymore, either. I usually have to go at least an hour north or west to nordic ski. It's a little easier to snow shoe locally, as you don't need as much snow!
    We are having frigid, January temperatures now. It was 10F when I went to the gym this morning. I am OK with it when I am skiing or snow shoeing, but, for normal getting in and out of the car, shopping, not so much. It will be 30 later today, though. My favorite ski place is open and I hope to go there Sunday. I am almost through my busy week of celebrating... tonight is my DH's company holiday party. It doesn't start until 8 pm, and I hope I can rest later this afternoon, since I got up at 5. Tomorrow, I think I am taking a break from exercising... we have to drive to western MA for my friend's birthday lunch, and then then rush home to have our family Chanukah celebration. I have already gained 3 pounds, despite exercising every day. This happens every winter, and I feel gross right now. This morning in boot camp, I was trying to tame my "why do I do this, I shold be home sleeping like all the other older people who don't give a sh!t" thinking. But, I will carry on.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I guess we need a 2018 thread for hiking

Today we went to Breakhart Reservation in Saugus, MA. Not exactly a lovely place (think honky tonk and strip malls along Rt 1), but it's accessible to people who live north of Boston and the city. Again, we downloaded a hike from All Trails; the beginning was a steep short climb and then we were on one of the park roads for a while, which is closed for the winter. Then the fun began on the Ridge Trail. I wore my microspikes and had my poles, but the spikes were alternatively needed or hindering me, as there was a thin cover of snow, some ice, slush, and plain wet leaves. This trail was very technical and some of the markers were on the rocks, so this is probably why it's not recommended in the winter, although the snow was cleared in most of the spots and we had the app going. However, I slipped and fell lightly on a descent. Not a big or long fall, I just went down. I really don't know what happened! I am not hurt in any way, except a little bruise and soreness on the palm side of my right thumb. Everything else is just really stiff from the hike itself. But, after this I was spooked, so there was some screaming and swearing at DH... this took much longer than we thought and I was ready to be done before we were done. We also had a stream/wetland crossing. We finally saw the boards for the crossing, but it was a bit tricky getting to the first board, on thin ice. Although it was close to 50, we did not want to be wet.
    All an all, an experience, but I think I won't go back until the fall, when it is dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000200.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	18326  
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Cute pic, Crankin! It does look a bit challenging, and slipping definitely an ongoing threat given the conditions. Don't blame you for waiting until dry conditions to do that again....

We never ride on Saturdays due to trail crowds, but we did our usual walk to town to the markets and will ride tomorrow and most of the days next week, weather permitting. It's warming up again, but they're predicting some rain chances and windy conditions late in the week, so the more riding we can get done between Sunday and Wednesday, the better. I am feeling really sluggish after several days of not riding and am ready to get back out there.
    Emily