Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Hiking - 2017

Red face Hiking - 2017

To disable ads, please log-in.

I couldn't seem to find my old hiking thread from the last few years so am starting up this new one. It's probably time to do that anyway.

While it wasn't my first hike of the year, it was my first GOOD hike. 4.67 miles on a lovely trail that wasn't too muddy for a change. Trying out a new Camelbak waist/lumbar hydration pack as my neck and shoulders are getting cranky with my Vaude hydration backpack. The waist version holds 50 ounces of water which will work for up to 6-7 mile hikes and longer if I can find a way to refill it. Afterwards I was a bit stiff as it was about a mile longer than I anticipated, so I went out into the meadow behind the parking lot after changing out of my hiking shoes and did my two TaiChi forms. Not long, only about 10 minutes, but it felt wonderful to do it outside in the sunshine. This is the first time I've done TaiChi outside and the uneven ground made things a bit interesting. No matter, it was fun, and did help. I took my time on the hike once I remembered the loop was much longer than the mileage post indicated - and it was too late to turn back at that point. Just under 2 hours for almost 5 miles on a mountain bike trail - that's pretty good I think. My neck and shoulders are feeling MUCH better than normal without the pack.

Tomorrow I hope to walk on our local canal tow path for a couple miles and have a bit of ice cream afterwards with a few women from church. Palm Sunday Ice Cream

Sounds like a great hike, Catrin! I have one of those 50 oz Camelbak waist packs I have used for years on the bike and hiking. It does a good job. I recently invested in a new small but standard (over the shoulder) Camelbak in large part because I wanted screaming yellow so I don't always feel like I have to wear screaming jersey colors on the bike. My waist pack is blue and just not very visible. I like the smaller size, though, and I believe my new shoulder pack is about the same size. Anything more just gets awfully heavy for me, since I am small as it is.

Glad you were able to get out and hike and do your Tai Chi outside too. I am sure that is a pleasant experience (as I've found outdoor yoga to be) when the weather is nice.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I was afraid at first that I would be self conscious as others were around, but just faced away from them when I commenced and I was fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I think that other hiking thread is under Other Sports.
    I hope to be doing some hiking again, with no snow! Another rider I know asked me to hike with her in some more difficult terrain, as she is training for a Grand Canyon trip. Since I know she is also cautious and slow, I am going to try to get together with her. However, my first commitment is training for my ride in Spain, so a lot of hiking may have to wait until July. The trails are still really wet here, so maybe in a couple of weeks.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That's right, Other Sports is where I started that thread. I don't want to cause more confusion by jumping forum sections so will start a new 2017 hiking thread there and provide a shortcut to this discussion. In the old days I would have asked the moderator to move it, but considering developments with TE, I won't do that. I appreciate they kept the forum going!