Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

April Showers bring... riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

Today is 52 and sunny and it actually feels warmer than it is. We have a mess of melting snow (there's not a lot of snow, but it's amazing what 2-3 inches will do), so we set out for a short ride. It was really nice, no expectations, my back was OK, despite not feeling so great in the morning from a sloppy, snowy hike yesterday. Saw quite a few riders, but we purposely rode away from the areas where we might see more.
    When we came back, I looked like I had just done a cyclocross race, from being behind DH. Most of it happened in the last 2 miles of the ride. Since there is still snow on the ground in our backyard, we cannot take the bikes in/out of our walk out basement, so we had to clean them out in front of the condo. They are now drying in the sun. Mine will go in my car, where it will stay until tomorrow morning, when I ride to work for the first time this year. DH is also riding to work, first time at his new job. Because he had to bring in a lot of stuff and he forgot that he had his laptop, he has to ride his Guru, with the trunk rack and a pannier, so he is going to drive to a parking lot, near a bike shop/trail and ride to work from there, as it's only 11 miles. Otherwise, it's 20 one way. His pannier is so heavy right now, I would fall over. I also should have brought in some clothing (thought about it), but I have a couple of outfits that are very light and I have learned which shoes are light, too. It's going to be nice enough, so I can walk across the street to another company's cafeteria and buy my lunch, so at least I don't have to carry that.
    Even though this is my 5th ride of the year, I feel like it's the first official one.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Pretty sure my official first ride of the year will happen in July in Florida. Currently the bikes are blocked in the corner of the living room by bins waiting to be moved down.

Electra Townie 7D

Crankin, your post made me smile, you obviously have a great sense of humor. We are enjoying 70 degree weather, so I rode my new bike for the first time today (I picked it up yesterday). It was exhilarating--I felt like a kid again.

Specialized 2017 Ruby SL4 Sport
    Specialized 2010 Sirrus Expert

Yesterday, got tired of waiting for the ice packed portions of my trails around the house to melt, so went out with a sledge hammer and broke up the ice. My trials are now 100% snow and ice free - for now - but very muddy and squishy in spots. The fat bikes can do, however, so started April with a couple hours of trail riding. When I got done, I actually went down to the lake and went for my first canoe paddle. Only about half the lake is open, but that's enough to say I went paddling. Star, our Border Collie, went with me in the canoe, same as she goes with me on all my trail riding. She doesn't like the canoeing as much, though, because she can't find sticks for me to throw for her.

Last edited by north woods gal; 04-02-2017 at 04:31 PM.

What a beautiful BC! Miss mine so much, give Star some ear rubs from me.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Yesterday, got tired of waiting for the ice packed portions of my trails around the house to melt, so went out with a sledge hammer and broke up the ice. My trials are now 100% snow and ice free - for now - but very muddy and squishy in spots. The fat bikes can do, however, so started April with a couple hours of trail riding. When I got done, I actually went down to the lake and went for my first canoe paddle. Only about half the lake is open, but that's enough to say I went paddling. Star, our Border Collie, went with me in the canoe, same as she goes with me on all my trail riding. She doesn't like the canoeing as much, though, because she can't find sticks for me to throw for her.

Oh my goodness! Is there anything you can't do? Your athleticism is astonishing to me, you'll live to 150!!!

Specialized 2017 Ruby SL4 Sport
    Specialized 2010 Sirrus Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Pretty sure my official first ride of the year will happen in July in Florida. Currently the bikes are blocked in the corner of the living room by bins waiting to be moved down.
    I forgot, I rode my bike in February when I got my ortho pedal installed, yay, first ride not happening until July was giving me a sad.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    Oh my goodness! Is there anything you can't do? Your athleticism is astonishing to me, you'll live to 150!!!
    Well, thank-you. So far, so good, but it's one thing I will never take for granted. For me, the age thing is very much a matter of attitude. I have a friend my age that has MS and can now only walk on crutches. Still, she refuses to call it quits and gets out and walks on those crutches, every day, knowing that at some point, even walking that way may come to an end. I've been blessed to be able to still ride like I do, but I know full well how quickly that can come to an end, so I ride and I ride, hard, as if every ride might be my last.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    What a beautiful BC! Miss mine so much, give Star some ear rubs from me.

Will do. She is very affectionate and, like all BCs, very athletic and smart. Best trail companion I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Will do. She is very affectionate and, like all BCs, very athletic and smart. Best trail companion I've ever had.
    Wonderful! Every time I hike I can still see Tess in my minds eye, peeking back at me from a bend in the trail.

Electra Townie 7D

Got out for my first April ride today. Today would have been my FIL's 88th birthday had he not passed away on March 16th. So I rode today in honor of him, and just like he was from time to time (more lately than for most of the years I'd known him), my ride was a bit ill humored, crotchety, and a bit painful (back bothering me). It was hot, humid, and quite breezy, mostly in my face. I figured the hardships were nothing compared to what my FIL had gone through as his health failed in the past couple of years, so I was happy to put up with the discomfort. RIP Dean/Dad.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

That was a nice thing to do, Emily. Good for you.

Light rain, today, but, even so, my trails are not quite as waterlogged, thanks to the soil thawing and some of the water draining off. Doesn't feel much like spring, though. Woods are still dead-ish looking without the snow cover and nothing green popping up, yet. Did a combo of some road work and about an hour on the trail work. Have to say, without any ice or crunchy snow on the trail, the fat bikes sure ride, quieter!

I rode to work for the first time this year, after going to my core and balance class at the gym. Was still cold when I left at 9:00-ish (38), but I was dressed correctly. I have an alternate route that is pretty and avoids traffic congestion at 2 intersections in the village, which brings my total miles to the office to about 2.4 . At one point, I have to make a left to get on the street that eventually crosses Main St, and is actually the street my office is on. It seemed like there was a lot of traffic here, although it is a road that leads to a highway. Anyway, I had to get aggressive and not only signal with my arm, but also do what my friends call the "teacher shaking finger," so someone would let me in the lane to turn. After that, once I cross Main St., I am faced with a street that has more pot holes than ever. It has been like this for as long as I can remember, so it's not from the winter. After dodging these craters and cars turning into their respective employer's lots, I arrived.
    Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to ride 2.5 miles, bring my clothes, etc. But, when I left at 6:15 pm or so, it was really nice out, around 52 and the traffic, while busy, is starting to die down. I do not take the alternate route home at this time of day, although I have to, if it's earlier, as it avoids traffic back up coming from the train station. I am still getting nervous turning onto my street, since the day last summer when a jerk tried to pass me on the left as I was turning. Although I do it all of the time on weekend and middle of the day rides with no issues, there is a lot of traffic at rush hour. But, I guess it is worth it, as I slept really well and feel great this morning.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I get what you are saying, Crankin. We normally will walk in lieu of riding if going somewhere < 3 miles away and when getting there super quickly is not imperative. Riding is more fun but takes a lot more getting ready for. But good for you for commuting via bike rather than car. Any car trip saved is a good thing for our planet, and for your health!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Plus one on what Emily said, Crankin. It truly is good for you and the planet. Speaking for myself, I would much rather deal with heavy traffic on a bicycle than being trapped in a car.

Wow! I think spring is here. As of today, our lake is completely ice free. Time to take a break from the trail work and do some pavement miles on the road bike. Our lovely open roads are calling.