Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    I am in Montreal (QC) area. It's in my profile location.
    Also, everyone's location is in the upper right hand of every post they make, if they've entered a home location.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Catching up... I rode on Sunday (3 days ago). The Garmin battery died mid-ride but I think it was about 30 miles. Totally flat. There was a longer club ride on the schedule that included this long flat section in the middle, around various communities on the western shore of the Chesapeake. I drove to a school that was about 10 miles into their ride and met the group there, then after the long flat part was done I peeled off and went back to my car while they all continued back to their starting point.

This was my first real bike ride since I hurt my ankle in January. Overall it went well. My sit bones hurt and my neck and shoulders were tight but my ankle was okay -- in fact it felt better than it has on most other days in the last week. Next I will try a short ride with hills to see if the added stress of pedaling uphill causes any problems.

(Off the bike, the ankle is sometimes okay but sometimes not. Overall it's worse than it was before spending a month wearing an ankle boot. I will see the doctor next week and am afraid he will put me back in the boot even though I really think it made things worse. But that is a story for another thread.)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I am glad you got to ride, NY! Yep, sit bones, neck, etc. are all early-season issues that you'll overcome. Glad the ankle behaved on the bike at least! I have found that most of my various aging-related aches and pains are actually better on the bike than when walking. Sorry you are still having problems with that. I'm not sure I'm on board with that boot, especially if it made things worse for you.
    Emily

37.5 miles today, and was I ever a happy cyclist, as my DH (very very very D!) replaced my snapped shifter cable yesterday (not an easy job, as the end got stuck in the shifter and did not want to come out), and my bike (Trek) shifted better than it has in months! Felt like a new bike! It almost is, considering I've got a new chain, cogset, middle ring in front, and saddle since the year started. I felt strong and good today, despite the wind. Fun fun!

I was thinking, riding along today, how lucky I was that my shifter didn't snap on Tuesday's ride in Lake County. There are quite a few more hills there than our usual ride east, and if it had, I would have been in my 12-tooth cog in back and probably had to walk the hills. Lucky me!
    Emily

Yup, I had mine snap on a commute home, as I was climbing the hill to my house, about 9 years ago. I was already in my granny, so I could make it part of the way, but I did walk a little bit on the street and definitely up my driveway. I shudder to think what would have happened if it had occurred earlier in the ride, which was 14 miles. It would have been a long walk home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Did another Friday commute today. It was 41 when I left at 9 and just about 60 when I got home, just before 12. Beautiful, cool, but with the feel of spring. I am exploring which clothes I can wear on the bike, that aren't bike clothes and still look sort of like I am at work. Since I usually dress more casually for this Friday group, it's a perfect time to experiment.
    Many years ago, I bought a pair of Zoic "jeans." They are black lycra and look like leggings, but have jeans styling in the back and front pockets. I have worn them just a few times. So, today, I wore my Giro boy short liner, which is the thinest liner I have under the pants, and just a regular camisole with a built in bra and a cotton sweater. All I had to do was take the liner off and change out of my cycling shoes when I got there. I did wear my heavier commuting jacket, which was probably unnecessary, but I dealt with it by unzipping it on the way home.
    It is going to be cycling weekend, with awesome weather, and Monday off, as it is a holiday here (Patriots' Day). I didn't want to be tired from a longer ride today, so it was perfect and I am still wearing the same thing for my afternoon errands, sans the cycling liner.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Did the same route today as yesterday, had the same (even a bit more) wind, and am still very happy with my shifting! It's so nice not to have noise and chatter and mis-shifts and auto-shifts, like I'd been having increasingly over the past couple of months. Yay!

Unfortunately the new pair of Sugoi Evolution shorts I got recently are not as satisfactory as my three older pairs. These are the same size but fit a little looser, which I thought was nice when I first slipped them on, but has proven not to be. These are a bit more puckered around where they sewed the chamois in, and on the left side (only), they rub the top of my inner thigh like crazy as I pedal. I end up with red, tender, raw skin there. I may have to trash them. Sigh...good thing I got them for a great price on ebay, but I sure do miss Team E for bike clothing!
    Emily

Had a day off today I rode about 26 miles - opted to "stay low" and skip Mt. Lemmon because I started late. Thinking about riding up the mountain a ways tomorrow though.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Rain, rain, rain but at least it isn't snow, snow, snow. Tomorrow, though, may be sunny, so a long overdue, longish road ride may be in my future. Still very much a trail rider, but that kind of riding is so intense, at times. Need to balance it out with some more zen-like road work. Also, have to admit, that I miss that smooth rolling, hypnotic speed of pavement riding.

Today we decided to pre-ride the first ride we are leading this season, on May 6. It's not a new ride, but very local, so an excuse to get out and not ride 50 miles. We rode to the start (5 miles) and headed on our way. The ride is only 21 miles, with most of the climbing in the first 10 miles. DH has also had back/neck issues, for the first time in his life, so we started out going very slowly. We had already decided not do the last part, which is mostly through neighborhoods, so we could head home at an opportune place. After a nasty headwind, right before we turned off of the route, onto our favorite road, we did pick up speed,but when we were about a mile from home, I had to stop and readjust my shorts. I felt like I was chafing on my left leg crease, not sure why. DH thought maybe I am doing something due to my back issues, but I know I always kind of lean left a bit. I will use more chamois butt'r next time!
    Rode exactly 26 miles and both of us said we better be in better shape (and moods) in 3 weeks, to lead! DH ramped up way too quickly and has paid for it.
    It was 71 out when we got home. Will be doing a long and hilly ride tomorrow, and it is going to be hot (84), so I want to leave early. DH loves riding in the heat, in fact, he had arm warmers and a vest on today, while I ss jersey and shorts, with a sleeveless base layer, that was making me sweaty. I took my arm warmers off after 6 miles.
    Hoping to do 30-40 tomorrow.
    Last edited by Crankin; 04-16-2017 at 03:52 AM. Reason: lots of typos
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, it is hard for me to imagine it being 84 degrees in Mass. while we're to be 85 in Orlando. That is just crayyyy-zeee!

Nice day off the bike today. Long walk to the farmer's market plus a few other shops today for about 6 miles total of walking. Good change of pace! Tomorrow is my yoga/weights day, then back to the bike on Monday. It has been so windy/gusty here of late, I am really hoping it calms down!
    Emily

Today was a sunny and cool day to start riding but it got warmer fast enough. We ended up doing 56km ride but the winds were pretty strong. Sometimes, I felt the bike go sideways so hubby tried blocking off the wind by placing his bike in a certain position. It worked but not that well since the winds were front/side and changing directions now and then. But I'm very happy for all that winter training as I was fairly good and strong. Yeah. Still had enough but it is nice to get out.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Wind is the word of the day. OY! We didn't leave until 10:30, already 77 degrees out. Leaves just budding on the trees, so no shade! After a mile, decided to ditch the ride in the hill towns west of here. Ended up doing 27.5 miles in Concord, Carlisle, and Lincoln, and it truly felt like a metric. We had a stiff cross breeze almost the whole way. Got blown into the road a couple of times.
    We used to do rides on Easter, when there was no one on the road and it was quiet. Seems like there were more cars than a regular Sunday and tons of cyclists today. I was pretty good with no complaining; had a Shot Block and 2 bottles of Nuun, which helped, until we were about 2 miles from home, after I had to sprint to get through a yellow light. It was 85 when we got back. Did I mention I hate riding in hot weather? Especially with no acclimatization and no shade. But, my average was actually quite good for this ride. I guess we got wind instead of hills.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

This wind thing must be catchy. We had our sun and nice 60 degree weather, as per the forecast, but it arrived with 30 mph, gusty winds. Did a little neighborhood riding with hubby and the dogs, but mostly worked on one last remaining section of trail and then finished up with some trail riding. I must be nuts building all these trails at my age. It is brutal, back-breaking heavy labor. The payoff is great, though. This last section includes a little bridge I built from scrap lumber and some nice big rocks to climb over. Also a nice log, or two. Yippee!
    Last edited by north woods gal; 04-16-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Finally, finally, we got a light wind day today! First one in a long time here in Florida. Actually, a little lake breeze kicked in from the north at the end of the ride, but most of the ride, all the wind was that we created. That helped with average speed, and I was about .5 mph faster than on this exact route than most times lately. Felt good today.

This was our second-to-last ride here. We'll ride again tomorrow, then Wednesday we start our trek north. I'm ready to hit the road. We've had a fun winter in Florida but are definitely ready to move on. Looking forward to seeing my mother and step-dad!
    Emily