Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks Crankin! Already doing short walks, though it kind of bothers my jaw, so I keep them short and not too fast. Originally they did splint my thumb, but it was so uncomfortable and awkward (I couldn't do anything, it seemed like, even type), I took it off. The ER doc actually said I could. I am keeping it protected, but like when my DH broke his collarbone, I think the small amount of movement it's getting is probably helpful to keep it from freezing up. That's one of the things I'll be talking to my doctor about on Wed. I hope I don't have to go back to a splint!

I'm eating well -- soft but healthy foods as much as possible, and sleeping as well as usual (i.e., not great but adequate). Taking it easy, reading, etc. Letting my body heal. It kills me not to be able to be more active, but I know this is not the time for that.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I had two medium rides on the weekend- Saturday I went out on Tucson's east side to preview some places we're going next weekend- doing the Tucson Audubon Birdathon to raise money for conservation & habitat- but by bike. I ran into someone I knew at one of the spots- he owns a birding tour company. Then I ran into two women with 7 miniature horses - (2 pulling little carts and the others just tethered to run along behind. They were looking for treats and I shared a carrot cake Clif bar with all the horses (with permission from the owners). By the time I headed home the wind had come up once again!

These aren't great pictures but the horses were pretty cute.

Untitled by Sharon Goldwasser, on Flickr

2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Sunday I did a short ride by myself, came home and met up with a friend for another 20 miles. We hadn't see each other for a month- she recently went back to work (by choice) after quite a while of not working (by choice). We stopped for coffee mid-way. My road bike is in the shop so we didn't go very fast- I was on the Surly. It was a nice day and not as windy as the earlier part of the week.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Those horses are cool, AZ. You see the most interesting things on your rides.
    It's cool and dreary this morning. I went to my muscle conditioning class at 5:45 am and then took my time before work. I feel pretty good, keeping the back stuff at bay. The clothes I have at work were not warm enough for today, so no commute. I think I will do my first "dark ride" of the season early tomorrow, although it won't be dark for very long after I start.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Still no riding for me, but I did have an amazing swim yesterday. Just one of those days where you get into the groove and it's completely effortless, just gliding through the water and feeling the muscles slip smoothly beneath the skin.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Thanks so much, NWG! Very kind of you. It's going to be awhile. I think my thumb fracture is going to keep me off the bike longer than my jaw, even though the injury to my jaw is more significant. But I have to wait until I can shift. It's on the left hand, so not as bad as if it were on the right.
    Interesting how the smaller injury turns out to be the more serious one for biking. Definitely is, though, in your situation. Don't know if the 1x drive systems (meaning only one chain ring and one shifter on the right) that are no so popular on trail bikes, now, will ever cross over to road bikes, but I love them on the three bikes I have with them. Have always found left hand shifting to be more difficult than right hand shifting. The 1x is a must have for any new bike I buy.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 05-01-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Letting my body heal. It kills me not to be able to be more active, but I know this is not the time for that.
    excellent approach!!!!!!......good moments in the healing process ftw

nwg..1x would also be good for city/commute riding, especially on waking up morning rides with its no front shifting and tight spaced jumps on the freewheel. Fixie attention ftw though

Alex needed some hard exercise so I was support for her and a friend on a santa monica mountain ride. I set up a mid ride nutrition/rest break at the top of a long climb in latigo canyon with this view

At the end of the ride she gave me this smile she does (that makes me want to happy hug)...and just that and with the look in her eyes told me she had a great days ride.

After her ride we did ride together on the flat section of my favorite Carly road ride for my first time in over 4 months. The wild geraniums are in full bloom!

Last edited by rebeccaC; 05-01-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Those Wild Geraniums are amazing, Rebecca! Not sure I've ever seen them.

NWG, totally agree on 1X system I think a lot of we right-handed folks have weaker left hands, so shifting on the right is always gonna be easier. Plus, the jump between cogs is much smaller than the jump between chainrings.

Someone needs to start a May thread. Happy May Day!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I hate you I hate you I hate you... hahahaha Lucky you to be able to ride in such beautiful areas, all the time. Although we have beautiful places, they never come close to where you ride. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Today..we're enjoying a good 50mm of rain. Feels like a dull November day ... Not May 1st.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    I hate you I hate you I hate you... hahahaha Lucky you to be able to ride in such beautiful areas, all the time. Although we have beautiful places, they never come close to where you ride. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Today..we're enjoying a good 50mm of rain. Feels like a dull November day ... Not May 1st.
    Whereas down here it's been July for several days now! Thunderstorms tonight, though, ahead of more spring-like weather.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Well, we had thunderstorms between 4 and 6 AM and it is still raining, so no early AM ride. Thought I might commute, bu I have to leave at 9 and it looks like it will still be raining. It is going to be warm later, so I can take a walk at lunch time and count this as an active rest day.
    Group ride tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

May 2 and some snow showers, here. Someone please send some spring weather, up here.

Had a large tree come crashing down on one of my side trails. Took a lot of sawing and intelligent use of a steel rod to lever the log off the trail, but got it done. May use a smaller section of the log as a log to jump at some point. Hopping logs is a hoot.

Was planning on getting another plus sized tire trail bike, this spring, but the only thing it would offer is a bit more speed on the trail, but would definitely not be as good for riding over rocks and logs or riding in the soft stuff. In fact, most of the trails I have built have been designed for fat bike work. Have now been riding fat bikes long enough to have learned how to turn and maneuver them, quick, in tight spots. As always, experience and know-how is a big part of trail riding.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 05-02-2017 at 08:35 AM.