Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think we are turning the corner. Predicted to be almost 70 here by Monday.
    Emily, it would take me about an hour to walk to work and I would not want to face it at the end of the day! Of course, unless my DH met me for dinner in the village (about half a mile) and then drove me home. I don't get bothered by the drive (it's 7-10 minutes, depending on traffic and time of day) and it takes 10-20 minutes to ride, also depending on how I hit the light and how long I wait to make 2 left turns. But, I am going to try and ride there at least 1/3 of my regular work days and every Friday, for my women's group. I am not going to have the group in the summer, so between now and the end of May... after that I want to do long rides on Fridays. I know it's better to ride... but although it's the shortest of my commutes, it is the most traffic laden. When I lived in my house in Concord, it was 5 miles, through the other town center, but usually, I was riding after the big rush hour and I think I am just more used to that stretch of road.While I hated the hill on my street at 7 pm, the part of that commute after the town center was lovely and peaceful.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I don't blame you for not wanting to walk home, Crankin! I wouldn't either. Just too long a walk after work. When we do a walk like that, it's early in the day and to somewhere fun like a farmer's market. Not after a long day.

NWG, that's great that you're melting up there! I know you're glad to see some pavement.

Today was our usual day off to do laundry and other chores. In between chores, I actually went to the pool here at the campground for the first time ever. The water was a bit cool for me, but I did get in up to my waist, and it felt so good. This was in the late morning. By afternoon, the temps soared above 90. Ugh. However, a front is coming through, and we're supposed to be in the 70s from Friday for a few days, and maybe even down to 45 on Saturday morning! This morning was 69, so that's a change!

We would normally ride tomorrow, but it's supposed to be very windy with a chance of storms, so not sure if we'll make it out or not.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

So yesterday, I rode a total of 7.3 miles. My back was in a spasm again, not caused by riding, though. I felt it building up, most likely from the hike in the soupy snow and compounded by a stupid twisting motion and banging into my space heater at work on Tuesday. By Tuesday night, it was getting worse again. Ugh, I do not want to get an MRI to find out I can't do much about this.
    Anyway, by the time I got on my bike, I had been to 4 grocery stores (2 regular, Trader Joes and the natural foods store), had my nails done, gone to a case conference meeting at work for an hour, and done laundry. I have a very busy weekend coming up and had a lot to do. By this point, I had about an hour to ride, before a haircut appointment. It was raw and cloudy, but I got out, despite barely being able to move around. Some pulling in my hips while riding, but no pain, and I felt like afterwards it would feel better. It did, although I really babied it last night with ice and stretching. So, I rode for about 25 minutes. At least it helped my mental health!
    Planning to ride to work tomorrow, wearing a cycling dress I bought years ago, but have never actually worn on the bike.
    Yes, Emily, when we walk to the village, it is usually to have a glass of wine, eat, or get ice cream. Once we had beer, appetizers, and ice cream. It was a slow walk home!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Emily, that's one big thing I miss about our condo in FL, we had a pool about 20' from our front door. I'd step into a suit and be in that beautiful clear water in moments, did that several times a week. It was heavenly.

Electra Townie 7D

I love my rustic, north woods lifestyle, I really do, but all this talk of stopping at Trader Joe's and coffee shops makes me long for a taste of the city life I have known in Chicago, Portland (as in Oregon) and other places. I managed quite well with a bicycle as my only means of transport when living the city life. Spent a lot of time in coffee shops, food co-op type stores, book stores and, of course, my local bike stores where everyone knew me on a first name basis. Yeah, spending all day out in the woods or doing my usual long solo road rides doesn't make for much of a social life. I am ever the quiet, sit in the corner type, but I do miss having people around at times. Will have to work on that, somehow. Anyway, I do enjoy hearing about everyone else and their more urban experiences, so please keep posting.

As for riding, it's now an every day thing with only rare days off. Most of it is on my trails, which are lovely, right now, but some road work, too. Not going to bore everyone with daily/more of the same ride stuff, but will report on a bit, here and there, when something stands out, be it major or minor.

30 mph winds and whitecaps on the lake, this morning. Will have to check the trails for downed trees and tree limbs, later.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 04-06-2017 at 07:03 AM.

Well, I hardly live in an urban area. It's a suburb, with a lot of rural-type areas and farms. When we bought our condo, we specifically wanted to be close to one of the 2 "downtowns," and while I am not as close as I had wished, it's only 2.2 miles, very walkable and rideable. I also enjoy being close enough to riding on quiet country roads.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Well, I hardly live in an urban area. It's a suburb, with a lot of rural-type areas and farms. When we bought our condo, we specifically wanted to be close to one of the 2 "downtowns," and while I am not as close as I had wished, it's only 2.2 miles, very walkable and rideable. I also enjoy being close enough to riding on quiet country roads.
    That is my favorite part of our Florida condo, we are.5 mile from the beachside restaurants and shopping, .9 mile from the ocean (our place is on the water, but it's the intracoastal), and 1 mile (on a MUP) to the downtown area. Now that I can ride my bike again, it means we can enjoy what the area has to offer without dealing with the insane traffic.

Electra Townie 7D

Sorry, my mistake. I meant urban in general terms, not as in living in a downtown metro area. That kind of urban is beyond my experience. Most of my "city" life has, in fact, been suburban or even small town. Where I live, now, would definitely be classified as rural, though, and even though we are relatively close to our local small town, we are surrounded by water and forests. Very few farms in the area (not to mention coffee shops. ).

Anyway, as I said, I do enjoy hearing about the commuting, shopping, sightseeing and eating out trips. Brings back good memories for me. Thanks, all.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 04-07-2017 at 08:07 AM.

I did 40 minutes of easy (and boring) pedaling on the indoor trainer two nights ago. There was no pain from the problematic ankle tendon. My knee hurt a little, probably because my cycling muscles are pretty much gone from lack of riding. I tested clipping in and out, and that also did not cause any pain. I actually don't have to move my foot much at all in order to clip out, which is good.

This weekend, probably Sunday, I plan to ride outside. I want to do an easy flat ride. Logically a MUP would be best for that, but they will all be crowded with the warmer weather that we're having. So I'm not sure yet where I'll be going.

The inertia of not riding for a long time has set in. I feel like just getting all the gear together is a huge undertaking. I need to muster up some energy and push through this.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Ha, ha, NY, for me, the inertia never goes away, no matter how much I am riding.
    I rode to work yesterday, wearing my wool Terry cycling dress and my cycling commuter pants and jacket. Since I already had appropriate shoes at work, it was perfect and I felt like a cool urban rider. The stoplight was out on the cross street of Main St, and that was a "fun" experience, trying to get across the intersection.
    Since I was at work to just do my group, I kept my bike in my office, instead of locked in the chart room. So, I got lots of comments, like "how much did that bike cost?"
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hi all- checking in after being distracted for a couple weeks. I've been riding to work daily- so getting in 95 miles a week just commuting. The weather has been decent- a little breezy (always a headwind) in the afternoons. Two "perfect commute weeks" in a row.... I'm up to 48 commute rides since the start of the year.

I did some short rides last weekend and am looking for the motivation to get out this morning... it will probably happen.

I'm still tracking the birds on my commutes. I rarely have time to stop in the mornings so it's a mental tick by calls as I roll past or catch a glimpse of something. On the way home I sometimes stop and try to roust out some of the lingering sparrows or check out something in the bushes. Yesterday near sunset I was rewarded with a kettle (circling group) of migrating Swainson's Hawks. I called my husband and he was able to drive down to meet me, but they had flown south. I rode and he drove a mile to the next parking area / bridge along the bike path and he was able to see them. That was pretty cool.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I forgot to mention that I had an unbearably cute moment on my commute home that almost made me forget about the rotten cheating incident with my classes and the last class of the day that couldn't follow instructions and had to stop doing the fun activity I had planned and got to read silently instead for 20 minutes.

The little guy is not a baby- he's a two year old miniature!

Untitled by Sharon Goldwasser, on Flickr

Untitled by Sharon Goldwasser, on Flickr
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Oh how cute is he!?! Thanks for sharing those adorable photos, Sharon!

I had a nice ride yesterday, though it was very very breezy. Still, it was a gorgeous sunny day, low humidity, temps in the 60s. After the hot, humid weather just a few days ago, I didn't even mind wearing a long-sleeve jersey. The weather sure has been up and down here in Florida!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I rode 21 miles today, with our riding friends who are in from Amherst for the weekend. Despite tapas and copious amounts of sangria last night, along with an excellent play, we got out around noon. It was about 47, partly cloudy, and windy. I think we got the wind that Emily had Friday. I had several moments of my back hurting on both sides, but I kept stretching while riding and while stopped, and by the end of the ride I was OK. It seems ike we had a cross breeze almost the whole time. At one point, I got blown into the middle of the road. Thankfully, no cars around. The ride was moderately hilly, mostly rollers, a few 8-10% grades that are short, but at the beginning of the season feel like torture. By the time we got to one of my favorite roads, I felt better. There's one kind of obnoxious small hill right before we turn to get within a mile of our house. It comes after a long down hill, but near the end of a ride, it can be a bit tough. I made it up at 10-11 mph, not much lower than my normal pace. Of course, I was behind DH, so a little drafting going on.
    I was dressed too warmly, but glad I went. It was my friend's first ride of the year, so her DH stayed behind with her at the end. We got home and then prepared for our early celebration of Passover (I know, the lightening is going to strike), after which we had more wine as our recovery drink and some cheese, until my son and family arrived to start the Seder.
    My back is still feeling pretty good; I have stretched like crazy, used the pulsating shower head, and stretched some more. Here's hoping it's OK, as the next few days are going to be warm.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We rode about 18 miles today, doing one of the flattest rides we can do from out the door. It ended up my first short sleeved ride of the year, as I took my arm warmers off, after about 8 miles. I always stop at the same spot and take off layers on this ride, as it's not as shady as most of the rides we do.
    Still windy, though not as much as yesterday. Bright sun, blue skies, and almost 70 when we got back. No incidents, tons of riders, and I had my first 15 mph average of the year. This only happens on flatter rides most of the time, and I don't usually care, but between my back and my foot thing last fall, I am feeling a bit broken!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura