Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Results 1 to 15 of 87

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Concord, MA
    Posts
    13,101

    April Showers bring... riding

    Today is 52 and sunny and it actually feels warmer than it is. We have a mess of melting snow (there's not a lot of snow, but it's amazing what 2-3 inches will do), so we set out for a short ride. It was really nice, no expectations, my back was OK, despite not feeling so great in the morning from a sloppy, snowy hike yesterday. Saw quite a few riders, but we purposely rode away from the areas where we might see more.
    When we came back, I looked like I had just done a cyclocross race, from being behind DH. Most of it happened in the last 2 miles of the ride. Since there is still snow on the ground in our backyard, we cannot take the bikes in/out of our walk out basement, so we had to clean them out in front of the condo. They are now drying in the sun. Mine will go in my car, where it will stay until tomorrow morning, when I ride to work for the first time this year. DH is also riding to work, first time at his new job. Because he had to bring in a lot of stuff and he forgot that he had his laptop, he has to ride his Guru, with the trunk rack and a pannier, so he is going to drive to a parking lot, near a bike shop/trail and ride to work from there, as it's only 11 miles. Otherwise, it's 20 one way. His pannier is so heavy right now, I would fall over. I also should have brought in some clothing (thought about it), but I have a couple of outfits that are very light and I have learned which shoes are light, too. It's going to be nice enough, so I can walk across the street to another company's cafeteria and buy my lunch, so at least I don't have to carry that.
    Even though this is my 5th ride of the year, I feel like it's the first official one.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

    2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    IL/FL
    Posts
    3,863
    Pretty sure my official first ride of the year will happen in July in Florida. Currently the bikes are blocked in the corner of the living room by bins waiting to be moved down.

    Electra Townie 7D

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    IL/FL
    Posts
    3,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Pretty sure my official first ride of the year will happen in July in Florida. Currently the bikes are blocked in the corner of the living room by bins waiting to be moved down.
    I forgot, I rode my bike in February when I got my ortho pedal installed, yay, first ride not happening until July was giving me a sad.

    Electra Townie 7D

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    39
    Crankin, your post made me smile, you obviously have a great sense of humor. We are enjoying 70 degree weather, so I rode my new bike for the first time today (I picked it up yesterday). It was exhilarating--I felt like a kid again.

    Specialized 2017 Ruby SL4 Sport
    Specialized 2010 Sirrus Expert

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    north woods of Wisconsin
    Posts
    631
    Yesterday, got tired of waiting for the ice packed portions of my trails around the house to melt, so went out with a sledge hammer and broke up the ice. My trials are now 100% snow and ice free - for now - but very muddy and squishy in spots. The fat bikes can do, however, so started April with a couple hours of trail riding. When I got done, I actually went down to the lake and went for my first canoe paddle. Only about half the lake is open, but that's enough to say I went paddling. Star, our Border Collie, went with me in the canoe, same as she goes with me on all my trail riding. She doesn't like the canoeing as much, though, because she can't find sticks for me to throw for her.

    Last edited by north woods gal; 04-02-2017 at 04:31 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    IL/FL
    Posts
    3,863
    What a beautiful BC! Miss mine so much, give Star some ear rubs from me.

    Electra Townie 7D

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    north woods of Wisconsin
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    What a beautiful BC! Miss mine so much, give Star some ear rubs from me.

    Will do. She is very affectionate and, like all BCs, very athletic and smart. Best trail companion I've ever had.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    IL/FL
    Posts
    3,863
    Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Will do. She is very affectionate and, like all BCs, very athletic and smart. Best trail companion I've ever had.
    Wonderful! Every time I hike I can still see Tess in my minds eye, peeking back at me from a bend in the trail.

    Electra Townie 7D

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Yesterday, got tired of waiting for the ice packed portions of my trails around the house to melt, so went out with a sledge hammer and broke up the ice. My trials are now 100% snow and ice free - for now - but very muddy and squishy in spots. The fat bikes can do, however, so started April with a couple hours of trail riding. When I got done, I actually went down to the lake and went for my first canoe paddle. Only about half the lake is open, but that's enough to say I went paddling. Star, our Border Collie, went with me in the canoe, same as she goes with me on all my trail riding. She doesn't like the canoeing as much, though, because she can't find sticks for me to throw for her.

    Oh my goodness! Is there anything you can't do? Your athleticism is astonishing to me, you'll live to 150!!!

    Specialized 2017 Ruby SL4 Sport
    Specialized 2010 Sirrus Expert

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    north woods of Wisconsin
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    Oh my goodness! Is there anything you can't do? Your athleticism is astonishing to me, you'll live to 150!!!
    Well, thank-you. So far, so good, but it's one thing I will never take for granted. For me, the age thing is very much a matter of attitude. I have a friend my age that has MS and can now only walk on crutches. Still, she refuses to call it quits and gets out and walks on those crutches, every day, knowing that at some point, even walking that way may come to an end. I've been blessed to be able to still ride like I do, but I know full well how quickly that can come to an end, so I ride and I ride, hard, as if every ride might be my last.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •