Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sad news about a TE'er

To disable ads, please log-in.

I started posting this last night, but wasn't sure if it was appropriate for me to do so. I'll go ahead anyway because I think it's important. Yesterday, quite by accident, I found out that Marni passed away last month. I was on a cycle tour Facebook page and noticed a post by her husband. I didn't know who I was reading about at first and then a few details fell into place. She apparently suffered a head injury in October 2015 on the Moab trip she last posted about. I'm not on FB, so I could only read the public post.

I searched this site and couldn't find any mention of it. I don't know if the community already knew and was discussing it privately, but after much hesitation, I decided to post anyway. I even contacted the administrator to see if it was okay. A few years ago I exchanged a some pm's with Marni about long distance trips and her replies were very thoughtful and thorough and reading the news yesterday just shook me up a bit.

Although this is terrible news, thank you for posting it. For some reason, I had suspected something had happened to her, but it was based on nothing, except she had had some health issues in the past. I had a feeling this post would be about her, just from your title. Yes, she was a thoughtful and kind person and I missed her posts. Although I never met her, by coincidence, through our posting on TE, I found out she worked with my older son when he was in high school, as she used to live quite close to me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That is just heartbreaking, such a cool woman.

Here is a link to her profile if anyone wants to read and remember: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/member.php?u=4863

Electra Townie 7D

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    She did post a lot. I now remember her after looking at her profile.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I always read her posts. She was smart and thoughtful.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Such sad news. Her posts were always so vivid and descriptive. How awful that the Moab trip she was so excited about ended so tragically.

Very sad news indeed. I remember that she was a cancer survivor.

Thank you for letting everyone know, IBFP.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks for letting us know, I remember Marni's wonderful posts with fondness.

I admit, I am somewhat shaken up by this. I think it's because it seems she died from the results of a cycling related accident? And, while I never met her, I feel like I have a connection. Her youngest daughter and my oldest son were in the same high school graduating class (ABRHS 2001) and she was often leaving her day as the manager of a café in West Acton, when my son was going to work, after school. So, while she lived in Houston when she joined TE, we did have this "only in TE" connection.
    I usully am not so affected by stuff like this, but maybe, because I don't really know the facts...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, I'm feeling the same way. I've been on other message boards when someone has passed away and while I offer my condolences, it doesn't hit that close to home. I think in this case it's because I did share messages with Marni, and the accident happened on a Womantours trip. I have been on a few of their trips, and I was even considering the Moab one, possibly the same year.

I did some amateur internet sleuthing last night to make sure it was the right person, and came across the Massachusetts connection and thought maybe you knew her outside of TE.

Here's the link to the post I found (is it okay to post it?). Scroll down the right side to "Philip Harang"

https://www.facebook.com/womantours

Thank you for posting that. Ugh.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yes, thank you for posting the link. It is good to get a few more of the facts. How awful, though. Sounds like it was a really tough time for her, and I am sure her husband as well.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks - sad news indeed even though we are a virtual community here for the most part.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Oh no!! That is heartbreaking. I had wondered where she was.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

This is so very sad, thank you for letting us know.