Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Jinxed?

Jinxed?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'd like to start off by mentioning that it has been a couple of years since I've been on the blog. That said, I am wondering if I am somehow "jinxed". It started back in 2009, I got the bike bug back, so went out and purchased a "flat bar" road bike as I was having neck issues. I somehow thought that not going back to a drop bar would be better for my neck. Within months after purchasing, the pain kept getting worse and finally complained to my doctor. Following an MRI, I was referred to neurosurgery as I had a herniated disc which required surgery. Didn't touch my bike for several mos (actually, it was more like a year). I then got the itch again, and started riding. Within six mos., I started having issues with my ankle. Nothing serious, except that it would give out on me--and ALWAYS when I would go down the stairs in my house or stepping off a curb. After a very bad fall, I once again went to my dr., and once again an MRI. This time I had a completely torn tendon and ligaments in my right ankle. Surgery once again--only this time, it came with a very lengthy recovery period. Stayed off the bike for approx. another year. Third time should be the charm, right? Well, my goal for 2016 was to ride my bike again--and I got back on it. By Dec. of 2016 I had increased my mileage and hit the hills. I decided it was time to purchase an endurance bike, as I wanted to ride very long distances and do a gran fondo or two. I had a guru fit and ordered my bike a week and a half ago--and guess what? I ended up in the ER with an incarcerated hernia (who knew women could have inguinal hernias??!!) as well as an umbilical and intra-abdominal hernia. So, I now have to have surgery on this! Is there a correlation between me wanting to ride and surgeries????!!!!!

Specialized 2017 Ruby SL4 Sport
    Specialized 2010 Sirrus Expert

Hi CAS, I'm glad you stopped by. I wish I could offer something other than sympathy! Hopefully after the hernia surgery you can try again? Though I'd understand if you decided not to.

Good luck with your surgery -- stop by and say hi if you're looking for conversation or support while you're recovering.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Hi CAS, I'm glad you stopped by. I wish I could offer something other than sympathy! Hopefully after the hernia surgery you can try again? Though I'd understand if you decided not to.

Good luck with your surgery -- stop by and say hi if you're looking for conversation or support while you're recovering.
    You are so sweet, thank you! I won't give up....I may complain a lot, but it won't stop me. . I will ride until the day before surgery, and will resume the moment the surgeon gives me the go-ahead. I didn't buy another bike just to look at it (but it will make me smile during the recovery as it will be placed in a prominent spot where I will always see it! ��

Good to see you here. Sometimes stuff just happens and it's probably best to have the attitude you have. You bought a nice bike, so keep looking at it!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thank you, Crankin.