Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Light hikers for narrow feet?

Hi!

As the subject says, I'm looking for recommendations for lightweight hiking shoes/low-rise boots for narrower feet (not crazy narrow, I'm about an "A" width, with narrower heel than ball of foot.

I have some excellent hiking boots, but they are VERY heavy and hot and overkill for most of the hikes we do. When not hiking on super rocky, rough terrain, I need something in between walking shoes and these boots, I think. We're often hiking in hotter areas, so coolness would be a plus.

I would love to be able to hike in sandals like some of the young folks I see, but I am too afraid of blisters. It is very hard for me to find a sandal that doesn't leave me with blisters.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, my wife swears by Vasque trail runners and approach shoes, she has narrow feet and blisters up anytime she tries to wear "normal" width hiking boots.

Electra Townie 7D

You might also look at trail running shoes. I have a pair of Brooks, that while they are medium width, they feel a bit narrow to me. I also have a very narrow heel, so I must have said this was an issue. I've never had another pair of Brooks shoes, so maybe they run narrower?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Emily, my wife swears by Vasque trail runners and approach shoes, she has narrow feet and blisters up anytime she tries to wear "normal" width hiking boots.
    I actually used to have a wonderful pair of Vasque Blurs I got fitted for at REI. They said they were one of the narrowest trail running shoes. I wore them in NC for trail running, light hiking, and then all over Belize, mostly for walking but some hikes. They lasted for FIVE YEARS! Amazing quality, especially considering the miles I put on them.

Unfortunately, as is so often the case, they were discontinued, and when we got back to the US from Belize in '13 I purchased a replacement pair of Vasque trail runners. I can't even remember the model name (I must have blocked it out of my memory!), but they were supposed to be good for people who liked Blurs. NOT. They wore out in less than a year. My big toe went through both of the tops in a few months. I actually took them to a shoe repair place and had them patched, but the patches only lasted about six months. They also ran large -- I was swimming in them, in the same size I had in the Blurs. Sigh...

I will look and see what Vasque is making now, but I'm a bit cynical after that experience.

Crankin, I'll also look at Brooks.

I have no intention of trail running, really just looking for hikers, but I can see where trail runners might work fine, as they have a more resilient sole than regular walking/running shoes.

Thanks!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow