Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: optimism

optimism

To disable ads, please log-in.

Haven’t posted since the beginning of the year because of health issues. Learned a lot the last two months about determination and faith…..AND that bicycling has some wonderful psychological/mood benefits (especially on days of unremitting fatigue from chemo)….and that it gives needed mental and physical strength in going through treatments! My riding now is so different from just a couple of months ago, certainly no climbing feasts. The riding I can do, even when slow and not far, does give me a way of feeling some control over my body despite what treatments are putting it through. It also gives me the strength of feeling some freedom from the effects of treatments and especially gives me a determination that helps on the journey of getting back to normal and my life back on track.
    …..SO.…still feeling blessed when riding!!!!...or to quote NWG... “At times, it can be so uplifting that I have stopped, raised my arms to the sky and said a prayer of gratitude and thanks.”

Over the few years I’ve participated in this forum I’ve bookmarked a few posts from some of you wonderful women who have written about your positive mindset in dealing with challenges, health or otherwise. I’ve re-read those posts a few times the last couple of months, including just before writing this post. This post is done in wanting to say thanks for those words!! Sometimes you never realize when or how your words can help others in a good way. Perhaps that’s another good reason to want to use our words (and actions) more often in a caring and positive way!!!

“Optimism is the faith that leads to hope, determination and confidence. Breast cancer is so limited…..it cannot affect my giving/feeling love, it cannot diminish hope, it cannot silence courage, it cannot conquer my spirit and it cannot corrode my faith…..”

My only time on the internet now is about my photography (creativity being a needed and valuable distraction). I’ll be back here interacting and forever posting ride photos when I’ve recovered more and have these unwelcome vicissitudes of life in the past pages of my writing journal. Strength of spirit and grace ftw…..

Luv from Venice Beach

All bicyclists are family….
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Rebecca, I'd been wondering where you'd gotten to, so sorry to hear about the health crisis, you're a strong young woman both mentally and physically so I think you will kick it's *** nicely. Sending you loads of warm healing energy.

Electra Townie 7D

Thank you for checking in, and sending you healing energy and hugs as you deal with this health crisis.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hope the chemo is for a certain period only! Wishing you energy, creative inspiration.
    By the way, we went to Dijon in France last fall. Since you know France, but unsure you know this part: https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com...rm-and-wonder/
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I have gotten so much from your photos Rebecca. Joy, peace, humor, inspiration... too many to count. Please keep 'em coming! It may be therapeutic for you, but it also has healing powers for some of us : )

You are one of my role models, kiddo, in the choices you make about how to see and interact with the world. I thank you for that and appreciate it no end.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    You are one of my role models, kiddo, in the choices you make about how to see and interact with the world. I thank you for that and appreciate it no end.
    I agree with salsabike here. I'm not here much these days, but I've noticed and appreciated your mindful and positive view of the world at all times. I'm sorry to hear that you have this added challenge to shoulder, and wish you strength and peace of mind to deal with it all.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I have missed your beautiful ride photos, Rebecca. So sorry to hear that you are having to go through chemo. Adding to the chorus here, I wish you good health and peace as you go through the process of getting there. I hope that this crisis will be short-lived and that you will soon be back to doing all that you love most.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Good luck in completing your treatment.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thank you so much for posting, Rebecca. You have been missed of late. Best wishes for your treatment.

You have given strength to many of us in the past. We're here for you anytime you need us.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

So good to see you post this, Rebecca. Glad to see that your photography and (still limited, but surely more to come) bicycling are helping to carry you through. I'm continuing to send positive energy in your direction, and look forward to one day riding and photographing with you!

a heartfelt thanks to all........
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Prayers for a quick recovery. Your love, strength is reflected in all your adventures and pics you have posted !!

Alex and I are signing up for the Tour de Pink in Oct. It starts here and goes north for three days on roads I know well. Gives me a positive focus on the future that feels good to have even if I end up not doing all of it.

This journey has given me a couple of new friends that are going through the same things and that is making me feel blessed and helps me in finding meaning in my own experience. We are also helping each other find strategies to deal with the stress, sadness, fear…actually the wide range of emotions, which are normal responses to this…and which also helps in giving positive results to our psychological well-being. Having the always-present supportive nature of Alex is also a wonderful blessing.

Wishing I could share ride reports now with you wonderful women but that’s still a ways off as my surgery is coming up. I do want you to know again, with my heartfelt gratitude, how appreciated your past words in this thread are to me.
    And last but certainly not least…thank you Lynn….

Scars are tattoos with better stories

So good to hear from and I'm so happy you have people around you to share your journey.

Electra Townie 7D