Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

March Rides: In Like a Lion or a Lamb?

March definitely came in like a lamb today in the Orlando area -- a very hot and sticky lamb, and less windy than the past few days. We finally broke down and turned on the A/C for the first time this year. Supposed to be cooler by Friday and for the weekend, which is fine with me. I'm not ready for hot and humid 80s just yet.

Didn't ride today after 35-milers both Mon-Tues, it was time for laundry, shopping, and chores. Tomorrow we'll get back out there!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Definitely in like a lion here in Illinois, big storms with high winds and rain, and a few tornadoes thrown in for good measure. We'll try to get in a ride over the weekend if the wind subsides.

Electra Townie 7D

After one of the warmest Februarys ever, March comes in more normal for us - couple of inches of snow and down into the single digits, tonight. 50s, though, by Sunday, so the not normal roller coaster continues.

Did a combo of road work on snow packed roads and some trail work, since the temps were cold enough to keep the crust under the fat bike from collapsing. Still well below freezing, tomorrow, so should be good for more trail work with one of the fat bikes.

The strange February weather actually was much more an issue for my cross country skiing. One of the worst ever winters for that, so far. Good snow, when it has fallen, has deteriorated, quickly, with the constant bouncing back and forth between thawing and freezing. On the other hand, the fat bikes are so versatile as to where they can ride, finding a place to ride them has been possible no matter what the conditions. Actually been a great fat bike winter for me. More than ready for some actual spring dirt and dry pavement spring riding, though. The weather has been weird, but me getting cabin fever in March is very normal.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 03-01-2017 at 04:19 PM.

It wasn't exactly lamblike but yesterday the storms dissipated for my commute home... today the headwind meant it took longer to get into work but it blew me home. 28 mph but -- at least for my window -- it didn't seem gusty. There are advantages to a heavy bike and I think the crosswind was slightly with me so that I could tack with the big bags and still get moved forward... I charged back into it to go to Ash Wednesday services except I must hae gotten the time wrong so nobody else was there, so I rode out to the next church but everybody was leaving... so I rode a little more... so I got in 17.2 miles and didn't wish I'd taken the bus...

This morning we headed out into a pretty good headwind with overcast conditions and were actually a bit cool starting out, but the sky eventually became partly cloudy, and the headwind on the way west and north turned into a glorious tailwind all the way back. That's exactly why we chose to ride the direction we did. Got in 35 miles, our usual distance.

The next three days are supposed to be blustery and chilly (for Florida!), so I plan to do some RV projects and will just work out indoors, plus walk. It's just not fun to ride when the wind is blowing hard.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Back to riding snow pack out on the roads, but the fresh 2" of snow that caused it is fun to ride, back on my frozen trails where it hasn't been packed. Not a lot of miles, but fun on this blustery, still very much winter, day.

Just saw that we had the second warmest February on record. My best February for miles since my commuting days while in Chicago, mostly because for two February months, there, my bike was my only means of transportation.

Agree on both counts, Emily -- if I have to ride on a windy day, I try to get the headwind over with in the beginning and maximize the tailwind at the end. And I don't like riding on windy days...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles