Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I gave Moby baby aspirin once per week prior to his actually developing heart failure, but after he was diagnosed with a heart murmur. (He still gets it). Dogs metabolize aspirin differently than humans. I also gave it to him last week in the middle of the night when his heart beats seemed weak and 'off.' I like the Bayer childrens chewables. Not coated. Which is important.
    Thanks, Sheila. Paisley's next vet appointment for shots and checkup will be in April, so I will ask then. So far he hasn't prescribed anything, and I don't want to start giving her anything without speaking to the vet first. But I will definitely ask about the aspirin. I did find a helpful article online about doggie heart problems: http://www.seniortailwaggers.com/old...-problems.html. Fortunately, Paisley is not showing any real signs of heart failure yet, so I hope hers will not progress quickly.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Thanks, Sheila. Paisley's next vet appointment for shots and checkup will be in April, so I will ask then. So far he hasn't prescribed anything, and I don't want to start giving her anything without speaking to the vet first. But I will definitely ask about the aspirin. I did find a helpful article online about doggie heart problems: http://www.seniortailwaggers.com/old...-problems.html. Fortunately, Paisley is not showing any real signs of heart failure yet, so I hope hers will not progress quickly.
    Didn't mean to imply you should just start giving it without talking to a vet

Last April, Lily suddenly went into heart failure after having a murmur for years. It was a Saturday. Called the vet. He said to give her an aspirin. It was lucky I had one on hand. It saved her life, at least for the next few months, until she had to be put down in July. When I spoke to the vet, he said to start Lily (and Moby) on the weekly dosage of asperin. For Moby, it was preventative, or maybe to make me feel better. But, I wish I'd started for both sooner. Shrug.

When she went into failure. It was in the daytime, and she just stopped responding, and her heart was erratic. Moments before, she seemed fine. She never did cough in her sleep. I'm hopeful that the aspirin regimen and daily heart meds will control Moby's symptoms longer. He has only coughed a couple of times at night. Once, maybe 3 weeks ago, and once the night before last. The coughing is when we started the actual heart meds
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Yikes, scary story with Lily. I think I will buy some baby aspirin (uncoated!) to have on hand just on case. Thank you for sharing your experiences, Sheila. I have never had a dog with heart issues, so this is all new to me. I am learning!
    Emily

I like the Bayer Children's Chewables, best. Most low-dose aspirin is coated. Children's tends to be chewable, so no coating.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I like the Bayer Children's Chewables, best. Most low-dose aspirin is coated. Children's tends to be chewable, so no coating.
    I just picked up some of this yesterday, in fact, at Walmart. Added it to our first-aid kit just in case. And at her next vet visit I'll discuss any need to give it to her preventatively. Thank you for drawing my attention to heart problems in Bostons, Sheila! I've never had to deal with this before, unlike some other health problems, so this is all new to me. Thank goodness Paisley still acts perfectly healthy, but I realize this could change at any time.
    Emily