Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Non-cycling Road Rash

To disable ads, please log-in.

I should put this in health, but really, it belongs under the clutz section.

On Saturday, I took my dogs down to the Point. The area in Beaufort with all the historic homes. It's a nice place to walk, and there is little traffic.

I'm down to two dogs, and only one of the 3 Bostons I had up until a little over a year ago. Buck the little guy who I adopted from a shelter in 2012, died suddenly in 2015. And Lily died of heart failure last summer.

So now I have Moby, the big Boston who turned Fourteen in January, and little Charlie. Charlie is a Chiweenie--half Dachsund, half Chihuahua. He's around five. And his markings look just like a Boston.

Anyway. I walked along a street to a nice water-view, past two men talking. One had a little dog on a lead. Aggressive and yappy. I picked up little Charlie, and went to the far left. Moby's lead was in my right hand. And, I tripped over the seam in the pavement between asphalt and road tar. It wasn't perfectly flat, and I felt my shoe catch. Both hands were full. I landed on my knees and elbows. Hard. I didn't drop or hurt Charlie, so that is something. The guys tried to get me to stand up right away, and I had to explain I needed to stay where I was for a few minutes.

So, both knees hurt. Especially my left. It was 70 degrees outside, so I was wearing short pants, and my knees were exposed. Not just abrasions, but an actual laceration on my left knee. And rather deep pain, considering. I was wearing a jacket, so my elbows are fine.

I have knee and elbow protectors for mountainbiking. Maybe I'll wear them, next time. Apparently, the Historic District is dangerous!
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Yikes, glad you're not too badly hurt, and good job on saving Charlie from getting squished! Be careful with those scrapes, they can get infected easily.

Electra Townie 7D

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    It might be worth seeing a doctor. For now, go to the pharmacy to get some anti-bacterial ointment.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Yikes, glad you're not too badly hurt, and good job on saving Charlie from getting squished! Be careful with those scrapes, they can get infected easily.
    It really was road-rash. Black tar embedded. I treated it like a cycling rash, which, unfortunately, I've experience with! I have one of those mesh appendage wraps over a couple of gauze pads at the moment. At lunch, I'll go home and upgrade it to a Tegaderm (or whatever it's called) see through window bandage. My skin is too moist for it to stay on the first couple of hours after a shower.

Thanks, Pax.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    It might be worth seeing a doctor. For now, go to the pharmacy to get some anti-bacterial ointment.
    I have a pretty good First Aid supply kit at home. Everything I need for road rash. Including that pink, Hibiclens Liquid medical skin wash. Which I prefer to betadine for road rash, etc. I also have bacitracin and triple antibiotic on hand at all times. I do a lot of work around the house and yard, and hike, etc. There is always something I need to treat. I should have those debride kits at home. But a wash cloth with the Hibiclens served to scrub out the black tar, then I spayed with an antiseptic spray I have. Seems to be okay.

https://www.pharmapacks.com/products...Q#.WKxXJza7rZI

In early December, I hit my wrist hard against a piece of raw plywood. (The light was off, and I didn't see it). I meant to take it to the shed, but hadn't done it, yet. I'd used it under my mattress, in my new old Sealy Posturepedic, which only lasted a couple of years before I had to replace the entire thing. Anyway. That was 4 in the morning, so I went back to bed, directly. Yeah. It was infected by the time I woke up at 7. Had several weeks of having to clean it several times per day. Ick. Raw wood is horrible for infection. This is clean by comparison. Even though it was actually a much worse injury, initially. Thanks!

Now that I think about it, I should probably go for a tetanus booster after these two injuries. Ugh. My last was December of 2012. I do end up having to get them updated more frequently than 10 years. Thanks for the thought, you are probably right.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 02-21-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Ugh, that sounds like a very uncomfortable injury. Sorry that happened to you, Sheila.

I'm also sorry to hear that you only have one Boston left -- did not realize that. Our Paisley just turned nine. I hope she will be long-lived as I can't imagine life without her. Our first Boston lived until just shy of her 15th b-day, but the last couple of years she was in poor health.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ouch ouch ouch! Glad it wasn't more serious. A few years back my sister saw a man trip and fall while walking on the sidewalk across the street from her house, and his face hit the pavement, which is not a good thing to do. (She's a nurse, so she gloved up and went out help while calling 911.)

Also we should totally have a clutz thread. I know I'd have frequent posts there...

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks, Emily. I didn't post about Bug. (Buck). He is the little one I adopted in 2012. And he went from seemingly fine on Thursday, to difficulty breathing at around 11 pm, and died the following day after 8 pm. I was heart-broken. I think he was around 10 or 11. It was hard to tell, he had been neglected for years before I got him, and his teeth and eyes were aged, I think.

Lily had many health problems for years, the ones Bostons have when they have severe brachial-cephalic malformation, which included seizures, heart problems, thyroid. But she took meds and her symptoms were under control until the last 4 months. Moby has heart failure, but responds well to heart meds. He doesn't have any other issues, knock on wood. Charlie, the Chiweenie had heart worms when I adopted him. He is fine, now. That was an expensive treatment. Worth it, though.

Glad to hear Paisley is still so young. 9 is nothing for a small Boston like her. You know the smaller dogs live longer. I did want another Boston, but after losing 2 within 8 months of each other, I couldn't bear it. Ended up with a black and white chiweenie, and he is a little doll. When he's not being a pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Ouch ouch ouch! Glad it wasn't more serious. A few years back my sister saw a man trip and fall while walking on the sidewalk across the street from her house, and his face hit the pavement, which is not a good thing to do. (She's a nurse, so she gloved up and went out help while calling 911.)

Also we should totally have a clutz thread. I know I'd have frequent posts there...
    We totally need a klutz thread!

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	18284

Here they are. Moby is the big Boston, and Charlie the little Chiweenie.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Ouch, Sheila. I hope you heal quickly.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hoping for a speedy recovery. This must be stinging also so bad. ouch.

Sorry for the loss of your pets. It's hard. We lost our old cat last October to liver issues. I have 3 dogs (2 are over 12 now - still doing good but they can go down fast at that age) and 2 older cats. So I'm sure when they go, it will be all at once. Watch this.

But for now we enjoy our time with them. And I hear you on fall...I can be such a clutz too when walking. A tiny crack and you can bet my legs will hit right into it. haha
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Thanks, Emily. I didn't post about Bug. (Buck). He is the little one I adopted in 2012. And he went from seemingly fine on Thursday, to difficulty breathing at around 11 pm, and died the following day after 8 pm. I was heart-broken.
    I can't even imagine. That must have been so hard.

Lily had many health problems for years, the ones Bostons have when they have severe brachial-cephalic malformation, which included seizures, heart problems, thyroid. But she took meds and her symptoms were under control until the last 4 months. Moby has heart failure, but responds well to heart meds.
    Wow, interesting. Our Pepper had seizures from age 4, hypothyroidism as well, though no heart issues AFAIK. She had a really smushed face, but no vet every suggested that her health issues might be related to her being brachycephalic. Wow.

Fortunately Paisley has more of a snout. She does have a heart murmur but none of the other issues. She has been a super healthy dog since we got her as a pup, thank goodness. Her "dad" died at 10 of cancer, though, so I am always a little worried. Her mom, last I heard, was still alive and kicking, and she's gotta be 13 now, so that's a good sign.
    Emily

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	18284

Here they are. Moby is the big Boston, and Charlie the little Chiweenie.
    They look so cute together! I am sure Moby is glad to have a new little brother!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    They look so cute together! I am sure Moby is glad to have a new little brother!
    Thanks, Emily!

Moby had a heart murmur for several years before he needed meds. Lily, too. But hers presented differently when it happened.

Yes, the Brachceph issues tend to come in clusters. But, Lily made it to 13.5, and if her heart problems had started a little differently, they may have been controlled for longer. It depends what part of the heart, etc. Honestly, just keep an eye on them and hope they are okay. (And if she starts coughing in her sleep, because the blood is not being pumped properly, that is when it's time to start meds, apparently. If they never cough, like Lily, then the fluid may pool in the chest, and that is not as easy to treat. Moby just started on meds recently. He woke himself in the middle of the night coughing. I already had the meds on hand.

Also, a baby aspirin (non-coated) can be given immediately if any heart symptoms occur. That can 'save' them. At least initially. (It did for lily. She just suddenly became unresponsive and weak. Unable to walk). Doesn't hurt to have an eye-dropper on hand if you need to help with fluids, or to swallow a pill. Gatorade is nice instead of water. They like it.

I've gotten a lot better at taking care of sick dogs over the last year. Good news it, I'm a lot better at it now! And I have a very good vet.

Thanks Crankin and Helen. Good to see you both!
    Last edited by Muirenn; 02-21-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Thanks for the information, Sheila. Our vet has asked if Paisley ever coughs, but I have only rarely heard a cough out of her. Sometimes she'll cough ONCE when getting out of bed in the am, but that's it. She still runs and plays like nothing is wrong. So far, he has not recommended meds. I should get some baby aspirin, though, just in case. Good to know. Thank you!
    Emily

I gave Moby baby aspirin once per week prior to his actually developing heart failure, but after he was diagnosed with a heart murmur. (He still gets it). Dogs metabolize aspirin differently than humans. I also gave it to him last week in the middle of the night when his heart beats seemed weak and 'off.' I like the Bayer childrens chewables. Not coated. Which is important.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!