Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thank you everyone for all the advice.

I can’t handle selling the car right now. I am thinking maybe i will just keep it. It is four years and only has 27k miles on it. If I sell it I will lose around half of what I paid for it. I am not sure I want to have car payments this year either.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    I can’t handle selling the car right now.
    that's understandable....and with that low mileage you should still have lots of worry free miles left on the car.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I haven't been around for a while. My SO hadn't been feeling well since last July and finally towards the end of December was diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer. He passed away January 21. I am doing well and getting my life back in order. I really am looking forward to riding my bicycle again . . . 54 degrees in Minneapolis, MN today!

I can get my bicycle in my 2013 Passat with the seats down but it is a pain even though I don't have to take the front wheel off. I don't want to use a bike rack anymore because I really don't have anyone to help me anymore to get it off and on the car hitch.

I plan to sell my 2013 Passat (only has 25,500 miles on it) and his 2009 EOS. I decided that cross-overs are a little too small and want to purchase a compact SUV. I want to be able to travel a bit and haul my bicycle around in the vehicle. So what are you all driving? I have just started looking so any advice would be great! Thanks!!

I would love to get rid of the car all together but my life style doesn't permit it. I like to spend time with my grandson and I need a vehicle to do that. My family is also scattered all over the Twin Cities as well. I don't do a lot of driving though. My Passat will be 4 years old in April and I will probably have 26k miles on it by then.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
    ... Sorry for your loss
    I drive what I get from Enterprise as a rental, and use zipcar a couple times a year -- or, I did 'til my brother handed down an inherited Toyota Avalon. Sounds like you drive a bit more than that (our bus system gets me to the local stuff).

I got the car and ... just as when I had a Mazda hatchback... I have to make myself take it out (and I need to keep track -- don't know if it's been 2 or 4 weeks since the last rainy Monday!)

I have been thinking that I might as well get something big and old that I could throw *anything* in. (Oh, my bikes are long.)

Kajero, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I have a Jeep Wrangler, 4x4. I know - horrible gas mileage - but, two people and 2 large labs can sleep comfortably in the back with the seats down! No need to take the tire off my bike if I don't want to put the bike rack on the trailer hitch. And....I am one of only three people who can make it up our 1.5 mile long, 17% grade dirt road in the Winter.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

So sorry for your loss Kajero. I have a Nissan Rogue AWD and I love it. When I was shopping for a new car, I made sure my bike would fit. It slides easily in and out and I don't have to remove the front wheel. It's a comfortable ride, handles nice and gets good gas mileage.

I can get my bicycle in my 2013 Passat with the seats down but it is a pain even though I don't have to take the front wheel off. I don't want to use a bike rack anymore because I really don't have anyone to help me anymore to get it off and on the car hitch.
    So this isn't a car recommendation, but a bike rack recommendation. When I was looking for a hitch mount bike rack, I didn't want one that was going to be heavy and cumbersome to put on and remove either. And I found one that has worked great for me. It is the Saris T Bones rack. I got the 3 bike version, and I don't think it weighs more than 10 - 15 pounds. There is an adapter that goes into the hitch and putting the rack on and taking it off can easily be done by one person, even me and I'm 5 feet tall. The only problem is Saris doesn't make this rack anymore, but you may be able to find one on ebay or craigslist. Here's a youtube video where a guy demonstrates it.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

My DH bought one for his RAV 4, that is by Thule. It's a 2 bike platform hitch rack, that is so much easier to take on and off than the old Saris one we had. Maybe you can look at that. I can easily lift it up and carry it into its resting spot under our sunroom.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport