I am somewhat freaking out. Back in the early 1990s (when I lived in cities and walked a lot) I had a problem with the posterior tibial tendon in my right ankle. Basically pain on the inside of the ankle, for years, and eventually having surgery in 1993. There was no acute injury; the problem with many microtears caused by repetitive strain from overpronating. The surgery and rehab experience was not fun and it took years for the pain and stiffness to go away. But for quite a while now, I don't know how many years, there have been no problems with it.

Until Saturday night. I was walking from one room to the other when all of a sudden there was a sharp pain in the same inside part of my right ankle. I have no idea why. It didn't seem like I stepped wrong or twisted anything. It hurt for a while every time I took a step. I iced it, it felt better. The next day it was mostly okay. It felt a bit inflamed but only hurt a small amount once or twice. I iced it again that night. When I got up on Monday it seemed fine for several hours, then started to hurt again with every step, for about a half hour, then was okay, later that day more pain for a while and then okay again, iced it at night. Same thing again today with some periods of sharp pain with every step and other times it's okay.

I am thinking that compression might help. Any thoughts on that, or other ideas on how to deal with this? I simply cannot have this develop into the long-term problem that I had before.

I went out and bought a compression thing for ankles at lunch today, but will have to return it. Following the directions on the box, I measured around my heel and instep. The box said size small would fit 10-12.5" and size medium would fit 12.5-15". Of course I measured 12.5, on the cusp. I bought the small but within 30 seconds it was digging into my foot so I took it off. Being on the low end of the range for medium, I wonder if there would be enough compression to matter with that size. Maybe I should just get an Ace bandage and wrap it tightly?

BTW from the wear patterns on the heels of all of my shoes, I know that I am now an over-supinator, not an over-pronator. For years during and after the injury I only wore shoes with really good arch supports, and I guess that helped. These days I don't really worry about arch support one way or the other, except for my sneakers and bike shoes. Thinking as I type this, I should go out and get some Superfeet insoles. Will do that tonight.

I really don't want this to become a big problem. Really.