Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: February rides

February rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

New month, new thread. No I have nothing to contribute (yet). Anyone else?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

It is supposed to start raining and not get below freezing for the next 3 days!!! I have never been so excited for rain, ever. Maybe by Monday the snow and ice will be gone. I've been going to spin class and I am so not good at sitting on one of those things for an hour. Bring on the rain.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I'll be going on my third February ride today, the 3rd! So nice to be in Florida this time of year. I don't ride on the weekends here as the lovely bike paths are choked with newbies, kids, dog walkers, etc. So, I'll have in around 100+ miles on the week in three rides.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I am hoping to ride Sunday, when it will start out freezing, but be around 40 for a couple of hours, later in the day. It's going to be cold and windy tomorrow, so since I have been hiking a lot, I am going to do a tabata class; only 45 minutes, so I can have a normal day.
    I rode twice in January, which is fine by me. I need the mental break, so I can be fired up in March. Our big trip is the end of June, so the key for me this year is to not flame out after coming back from Spain and then our short trip to the Berkshires. Thinking I need to plan to lead a couple of rides in August and September to keep me motivated.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We're expecting the same weather here this weekend, Crankin. But I'm not sure yet what my plans are, and I also want to take a break now in order to be in a good frame of mind later. I might go for a walk/easy hike with a friend on Sunday. I'd kind of like to go see a movie, too, at some point, and also need to finish painting the giant dresser that is currently taking up space in my living room.

Gone but not forgotten:

Trying to heal up from my fall, early in the week, but darned bruised ribs on my right side are killing me. Rode, indoors on the trainer, yesterday, but couldn't stand sitting in the house, today, so rode out on the lake ice with the dogs. Not good. Any riding seems to be aggravating things, probably from leaning forward on the handlebars. May just have to go for a week with no cycling. Bummer.

Did buy a set of studded fat bike tires, yesterday, though. Not sure which bike to put them on, yet. No way am I giving up.

Buying cycling gear is a good substitute for riding, at this time of year.
    I don't think I will get to ride Sunday, as now they predict rain/snow showers.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good weather here in southern AZ- five commutes this week, starting temps in the low 40's and riding home in the 60's or close to 70!
    Getting ride to ride a short way up Mt. Lemmon this morning.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Good idea on the bicycling gear, Crankin. Also a good time of year to do some rebuilding or even start thinking about changing or adding bikes.

My Salsa Fargo is a good example. It's a drop bar mountain bike with 29er wheels/tires, kind of a cult bike for those of us who have them. Love the bike in every respect with one huge exception. It has SRAM Apex shifters with I HATE. The problem is the single paddle that is used for both upshifting and down shifting on SRAM. In order to down shift, I have to move the paddle twice the distance in, compared to moving it a short distance for a higher gear. With my hands, I struggle to reach in far enough when I need to downshift and if I don't reach in far enough, I actually shift to a bigger gear, not a lower gear and that completely kills things when I'm in a climb. Even when I do it right, it's still slow and awkward to downshift. MUCH, MUCH prefer Shimano 105, Ultegra and so on because downshifting and upshifting is on different levers and I have enough reach with both. Much more manageable for me.

At this point, it's either convert everything over to Shimano - and that won't be cheap - or trade it in on another bike. Decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 02-04-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Good idea on the bicycling gear, Crankin. Also a good time of year to do some rebuilding or even start thinking about changing or adding bikes.

My Salsa Fargo is a good example. It's a drop bar mountain bike with 29er wheels/tires, kind of a cult bike for those of us who have them. Love the bike in every respect with one huge exception. It has SRAM Apex shifters with I HATE. The problem is the single paddle that is used for both upshifting and down shifting on SRAM. In order to down shift, I have to move the paddle twice the distance in, compared to moving it a short distance for a higher gear. With my hands, I struggle to reach in far enough when I need to downshift and if I don't reach in far enough, I actually shift to a bigger gear, not a lower gear and that completely kills things when I'm in a climb. Even when I do it right, it's still slow and awkward to downshift. MUCH, MUCH prefer Shimano 105, Ultegra and so on because downshifting and upshifting is on different levers and I have enough reach with both. Much more manageable for me.

At this point, it's either convert everything over to Shimano - and that won't be cheap - or trade it in on another bike. Decisions, decisions.
    Are your handlebars too big? Having compact drop bars has made a huge difference for me, and I have no trouble with Sram shifters.

Gone but not forgotten:

Thanks, NY. Might try that. The problem with the SRAM is mostly back when trying to ride trails and single track. For that, Salsa recommends staying down in the drops for better braking and control and I agree. It is safer for technical riding. When in the drops, though, almost impossible for me to get enough reach to downshift, so I have to go back up on the hoods to do it, right. All and all, I think drop bars are fine for milder and easy trails, but they really are a mismatch on the techno stuff. Not a big deal, because I have other bikes for trail work.

We rode from our house to milepost 4.5 on Mt. Lemmon today (me and the DH). It was cool to start but warmed up to short sleeve jersey temps. About 29 miles total- and almost 2000 feet of climbing or so. And then I rode to get a hair cut and color, and groceries on my touring bike, for about 4 more miles.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    We rode from our house to milepost 4.5 on Mt. Lemmon today (me and the DH). It was cool to start but warmed up to short sleeve jersey temps. About 29 miles total- and almost 2000 feet of climbing or so. And then I rode to get a hair cut and color, and groceries on my touring bike, for about 4 more miles.
    Good job!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Plus, one, AZ. The only practical way for me to rack up those kinds of miles, right now, and do it safely, is indoors on the trainer. Yuk! Love my snow biking, but this time of year I'm dreaming of those good times to come when the snow is gone and I have hundreds of miles of nice dry open road to explore. Definitely cabin fever time for me.

Good news and good day for me. My bruising has subsided to the point where I can ride, comfortably, again, without aggravating anything. Did two miles of heavy duty plowing and pedaling though deep crusty snow out on the lake (whew!), then added another easier pedaling mile, riding the shoulder of our snowy neighborhood roads, being very careful to stay off the well traveled and slick portion of the snow pack. Still need to mount the studded tires on one of the fat bikes, but can't decide which one gets the studded. Kind of OCD, maybe, but hate changing out tires on the other bikes because each kind of tire and tread has its place for various types of winter riding I do. That, and I hate doing the switch out tires thing.