Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

And back to reality... we need to call our senators AGAIN because they are trying AGAIN to gut the Affordable Care Act, this time through the tax bill that benefits a handful of rich people at the expense of everyone else.

And don't get me started on the wave of sexual assault and harassment revelations because I can't even.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    And back to reality... we need to call our senators AGAIN because they are trying AGAIN to gut the Affordable Care Act, this time through the tax bill that benefits a handful of rich people at the expense of everyone else.

And don't get me started on the wave of sexual assault and harassment revelations because I can't even.
    Sigh. I have resistbot on both phones and fax them daily from one or the other. https://resistbot.io

If the bot gets overworked and freezes I send postcards which are probably more fun for them.

Currently using Simpsons postcards, sometime national parks ...
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

It's been a year... the organizers of the Women's March will be holding an anniversary "Power to the Polls" event in Las Vegas.

http://www.powertothepolls.com

Meanwhile various events are being planned around the country. A search for my ZIP Code brought up marches in DC, Baltimore and Frederick MD, plus other events. You can search you own area here.

http://www.powertothepolls.com/anniversary.html

I am planning to participate in the DC march, though thanks to the torn ankle tendon I don't think I can do nearly as much walking this year as last. So I'm not sure how involved I will be able to be.
    Last edited by ny biker; 01-11-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    It's been a year... the organizers of the Women's March will be holding an anniversary "Power to the Polls" event in Las Vegas.

http://www.powertothepolls.com

Meanwhile various events are being planned around the country. A search for my ZIP Code brought up marches in DC, Baltimore and Frederick MD, plus other events. You can search you own area here.

http://www.powertothepolls.com/anniversary.html

I am planning to participate in the DC march, though thanks to the torn ankle tendon I don't think I can do nearly as much walking this year as last. So I'm not sure how involved I will be able to be.
    Marching in Seattle. Also we have an upcoming school bond election. I'd said "I'm sick to death of being on the phone. 25 years of talking to our dear customers once I retire I'm never using a phone again."

Yep, calling voters and will likely do this through midterms or even 2020.

So if you get a call during midterms "hello, this is Trek420 and I'm a volunteer for ______ candidate. Is this the person to whom I am speaking?" It's me.
    Last edited by Trek420; 01-18-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Trek, you will probably be very good at phone banking, thanks to your experience. Hopefully it feel less stressful knowing you are working for a cause that is important to you.

I am furiously trying to finish crocheting my pussycat hat in time for the march on Saturday. I had actually finished one a couple of months ago but it was too small -- I am new to this crochet thing and still have much to learn -- so I ripped out all the stitches and started over. I sorta combined two different patterns so am just hoping it looks okay when I'm done.

Meanwhile I still don't know how much I'll be able to walk on Saturday, but I will give it a try. I think (hope) if I go slowly and stop fairly often I will be okay.

Gone but not forgotten:

Okay then. I finished the hat around 2 am. Slept later than I had planned on Saturday so I didn't get to the rally until 1 pm, which was the time that the march was supposed to start. But the speakers continued for another 90 minutes. Then we marched to the White House. It wasn't a huge crowd, but I think it was big enough. The atmosphere was good. I was very glad that I was there.

I took a selfie at the rally, with the Lincoln Memorial in the background, and posted it on Facebook. This evening I was talking to a friend about the march. He told me that he had been talking to another friend, a middle-aged man, who had seen my photo and commented that the my hat was not flattering. I told him that I don't give a f*ck. I mean seriously. Talk about missing the point.

At the rally a man was standing next to a tree holding a large poster with this quote from a Maya Angelou poem:

I, the Rock, I the River, I the Tree
    I am yours -- your Passages have been paid.

Lift up your faces, you have a piercing need
    For this bright morning dawning for you.

History, despite its wrenching pain,
    Cannot be unlived, but if faced
    With courage, need not be lived again.

Lift up your eyes upon
    This day breaking for you.

Give birth again to the Dream.

Do not be wedded forever
    To fear, yoked eternally
    To brutishness

Gone but not forgotten:

ny....that reminds me of her poem 'On The Pulse Of Morning'.

we had a huge crowd 500,000 to 600,000 by most estimates. marching in solidarity ftw!!!!!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Got an email at work yesterday -- due to "tax reform" all employees will receive a small bonus. After taxes are taken out it won't be much. I have decided to donate it to World Central Kitchen (who are still feeding people in Puerto Rico), a local nonprofit that helps victims of domestic violence and the ACLU.

http://www.worldcentralkitchen.org

Gone but not forgotten:

NY, I just noticed your new tag line. If it's not new, then I am unobservant.
    "Thickly settled" was one of the list of expressions that I had to make a list of and have explained to me by my cousin, when I moved back to MA. They all were things you had to know to pass the written dirver's test here. While thickly settled was one I kind of got, things like frost heave and reverse curve vexed me. I was just thinking about this yesterday, so when I saw your post, I laughed.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I added that after my first visit to the Cape - I had never seen a sign like that before (or since). I thought it was funny. I think I understood its meaning but felt like it could have other interpretations too.

The other thing that was different about driving there were the huge rotaries. I've seen roundabouts and traffic circles before but haven't driven around anything that large anywhere else. I actually had to count the exits out loud to keep from getting confused and just going around and around the circle.

I have never heard of a frost heave or a reverse curve. What are they?

Gone but not forgotten:

OK, I will try to translate. Thickly settled means a high density population, usually in a smaller town or village. A frost heave is when a road buckles up and makes a bump, usually causing a crack in the pavement, too. This comes from the frost/freeze cycle here, where it is not consistently cold all winter. Reverse curve means an "s" curve. There were a few others, too, that are not much in usage in speech, but they have never updated the language in the road signs.
    So yeah, rotaries. The first week I lived here, I went around the Chelmsford rotary a few times, to go to the grocery store! My kids thought I was nuts. It was a "minor" exit, i.e. a regular road, not a state highway. Of course, now, that rotary is all well signed and much easier to navigate. If they have 2 clear lanes, they are OK, but the problem here, is people enter and exit without yielding and don't follow the established rules about which lane, inside or out, to be in if you are going more than halfway around. I live within 2 miles of one of the most notorious rotaries in the state. It's a rite of passage when kids in this area get their license! They have redone a major part of the highway, but the plan to elevate the highway, get rid of the rotary, and put the 2 town roads that are exits below it is still a couple of years off. This highway cuts my town in half and when they fix this, it will make a huge difference for the residents. They are starting to put more directions/instructions in rotaries and are calling them round-a-bouts, too. I have seen some in Europe with 10 exits! The difference is, that everyone follows the rules. We had to ride our bikes on one of those huge ones, coming into Santiago de Compostela, last summer, and I was scared as hell, but the leader prepped us and it was fine.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We have similar problems here with people not yielding or being in the correct lane in some of the more complex traffic circles in DC. When I first moved here and got a car, I asked a friend to give me directions from my home to I-95 that avoided all circles. They are adding new ones in the suburbs and most of them seem okay, but the ones in DC are crazier.

There is one circle in the neighborhood where I live now that is a problem. It's at a 3-way intersection but the roads are not at right angles, so it doesn't really look like a circle when you approach from some directions. Everyone ignores the signs to yield. It's bad enough in a car but is even more dangerous when you're on a bike.

Gone but not forgotten:

I don't know much about this candidate but this is one of the best ads I've seen. Any of you runners or triathletes may like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YaaatXeij8
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

That was a good ad, Trek. Thanks for sharing it.

I went to the March for Our Lives in DC yesterday. It was great. The speakers were all young -- teenagers, young adults, some as young as 11. They told moving stories of losing loved ones to gun violence. It was inspiring, and gave me hope for the future for the first time in a while.

There were some big musical performers there, too, but none of them took attention away from the message of the day. In fact there was no one introducing any of the speakers or performers, so I didn't know who most of them were until they started to speak and tell their stories. I have to say that I was very impressed by the overall organization of the event.

A big part of their message was to register and vote! A few days ago I saw a request for volunteers to register voters outside of a couple of Metro (subway) stations in my area, so I signed up for a two-hour shift before heading to the march. Most people who passed us were already registered, and we only registered one person, but she was a middle-aged woman who was registering to vote for the first time, which was great. (I think she may have been an immigrant.) As I exited the Metro station on my way home I saw other volunteers and asked how things were going, and they said they'd registered 4-5 people. With the close elections we've seen recently, every vote counts.
    Last edited by ny biker; 03-25-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Gone but not forgotten: