Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Woman's Place is in the Resistance

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, the Women's March was, well, hard for me to put into words. A great experience. Inspiring. Crazy and crowded. I knew so many people who went, which alone was inspiring and gratifying. And it was so wonderful to come home and see all the photos online of all the sister marches -- around the US, around the world, in cities and small towns, even in Antarctica.

I took some photos but I think I have reached my limit for uploading here and haven't had time to address that yet. For now I'll just say that there were too many great signs to photograph or remember. Some funny and clever, some serious. My favorite was one with a picture of Princess Leia and the words, "A Woman's Place is in the Resistance."

But now the question is, what do we do next? One answer is here:

https://www.womensmarch.com/

To quote from the site:

10 ACTIONS / 100 DAYS

We did it! On January 21, over 5 Million of us worldwide and over 1 Million in Washington, D.C., came to march, speak and make our voices heard. But it doesn’t end here - now is not the time to hang up our marching shoes - it’s time to get our friends, family and community together and make history.

Every 10 days we will take action on an issue we all care about, starting today.

The first action is to print out a postcard, write about what matters most to you, and send it to your representatives in the US Senate. I have printed out several copies but honestly can't decide what to write. It's hard to choose just one thing.

In the meantime, on the local level, I have identified my representatives in the state senate and house of delegates -- I used to follow the people in those positions via email updates and social media, but those folks are no longer in office and I had never gotten around to tracking down the people who replaced them. The current state senator and delegate are holding a town hall meeting tomorrow which I plan to attend. I'm also looking into volunteer activities -- we'll be electing a new state governor next year, plus the mid-term elections will be important. I feel that I can no longer afford the luxury of sitting on the sidelines.

This week I have bounced back and forth between feeling "fired up, ready to go" and feeling overwhelmed by an avalanche of bad news. I'm trying to focus on what I can do to fight back.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

That is great, NY.
    You are right, it can be overwhelming to hear all the incredibly bad news, but one has to stay informed.
    I feel guilty for not participating in the march, but I knew the crowds would be too much for me. Perhaps this sounds like BS, but my job is a form of social justice (at least the way I practice it) and I purposely chose to work in community mental health. There's not much left of me when that is done. The one thing I have changed a large amount is I don't keep my mouth shut when I hear or see things that are racist, homophobic, trans phobic, etc. I've done a lot of reading to help find words that clearly explain why those kinds of statements or acts are wrong. Not that I didn't feel that way before, but it feels like the stakes are higher.
    I must say, trying to explain the concept of non-binary gender is really hard when the person you are speaking just does not get it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good words from both of you, thank you. I don't march in VERY large crowds as it's a PTSD/high anxiety trigger for me - I can't help others if I don't care for myself. I do contribute how and where I can, donating, writing letters, making calls, whatever seems appropriate. We all can't do the same things, at least that's what I tell myself. I try to lead by example where I can.

The size of the crowd could be the basis for a whole other discussion -- the logistics involved in planning were crazy. From taking part in other large events on the Mall, I knew that Metro (the subway system in DC) would be packed and I did not want anything to do with that. I had originally planned to meet up with one friend who was coming in from the suburbs with her family. After some back and forth we decided to just try to meet up at the march rather than trying to coordinate meeting at a suburban Metro station where there may or may not have been parking. (As it turned out, it was far too crowded for us to get together.) Ultimately I met up with some friends who live closer to me, and we walked 1.5 miles into DC (Georgetown) with a plan to take a bus from there. But the buses were all full, so we ended up taking a cab part way and walking the rest of the way. To get back, we walked 2.5 mile to my friend's house. It was a long day on our feet with no chance to sit down.

Then there was the logistics of food and drink. There were just a handful of food vendors (food trucks) in the area. For security reasons we were limited to small purses and small see-through backpacks. I ordered a see-through drawstring bag from nfl.com so I would have something that I could fill with snack bars and a water bottle. Clif Bars and Builder Bars FTW. On the plus side, being limited to one water bottle meant my friends and I did not need to stand on the long portapotty lines.

One thing I didn't realize until after I got home was that the official march route had to be changed mid-day due to the crowd size. The plan was a rally from 10-1 and then the march at 1:00. However the speakers at the rally went long (it was after 2:00 when Madonna spoke). After a while a bunch of us decided to just start marching, so we started walking through the crowd on the street where it began, encouraging people to come with us. (There were periodic chants of "march! march!" at this point). Eventually we hit a wall of people that was just not moving -- apparently this was because other people who were closer to the stage had started marching on the new official route, and when two groups came together it slowed to less than a crawl. At that point we were near the Washington Monument, and we decided we were close enough to the official endpoint at the Ellipse (near the White House) and that we had more than accomplished our goal for the day. And my friend's back hurt from all the standing and walking. So at that point we headed home.

Throughout the entire day, wherever we were, we saw many people carrying signs and wearing pink hats -- on the way to the march and afterwards when we stopped at a restaurant to eat. It really was amazing.

Other friends had similar experiences, changing their plans frequently in the days before the march and while it was happening. You really had to be flexible and prepared for anything. And physically, it was not an easy day. I totally understand why many people would not be up for it.

But, I think the important thing is what happens next. We need to carry the momentum forward.

(Also, there's talk of a Science March and a march to demand that Trump release his income tax returns. I may end up at them -- now that I have that clear drawstring bag I might as well use it. )

Gone but not forgotten:

No marches in our little community, way up here in the woods, but my heart was with everyone who did march. I'm another one who gets anxious and upset when trapped in big crowds, anyway. Sends my blood pressure and stress levels through the roof.

I'm doing what I can, though, to speak when and where I can on behalf of all the many human rights for all peoples that are being stomped on. Never thought I would live to see the day when this country turned so vicious and hateful. Yes, it can be so very depressing, but it's also so very necessary in times like these to take a stand. Have been especially concerned with some of our Muslim and transgendered friends, of late. So very sad to see them living in fear in their own homes and communities. Dark times for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    No marches in our little community, way up here in the woods, but my heart was with everyone who did march. I'm another one who gets anxious and upset when trapped in big crowds, anyway. Sends my blood pressure and stress levels through the roof.

I'm doing what I can, though, to speak when and where I can on behalf of all the many human rights for all peoples that are being stomped on. Never thought I would live to see the day when this country turned so vicious and hateful. Yes, it can be so very depressing, but it's also so very necessary in times like these to take a stand. Have been especially concerned with some of our Muslim and transgendered friends, of late. So very sad to see them living in fear in their own homes and communities. Dark times for us all.
    Ditto ditto ditto!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Every day is a new outrage, another roller coaster of emotion and feeling physically ill over the way a few hateful extremists have taken over this country.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    every day is a new outrage, another roller coaster of emotion and feeling physically ill over the way a few hateful extremists have taken over this country.
    couldn't agree more.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

This is all so very dangerous. When the man at the top does hate-based things, it's interpreted by those who share his hatred to act when they might otherwise think twice or show some restraint and the more Trump rages, the more they love him. What country is this?

I've been feeling really down, tired and just lethargic from the politics. Forced myself to attend a local progressive group meeting yesterday. What can we do? They ask. There is so much hatred, there is no dialogue with the red hat (trumpster idiots). Starting a conversation with things like "We want to improve the quality of life for everyone!" from my perspective this just don't fly with the red hat crowd. It needs to be more personal. "We need to get out of this rat hole of credit card debt and insane health insurance. You want to be free of stress and me too" kind of thing. This may get them to start talking. It's about you its about me and forget the rest of the idiots (progressive).

One city council man said that there is a concerted effort by the right wing extremist to take over the political landsacape. He said he hasn't seen so much effort on any group to take over the school board as he has seen with the right wing extremists. Because of his position, he didn't want to elaborate on where the dark money was flowing from. Well that is where you start, at school board and at a local level.

One gal said she was planning on running for city council of a small town instead of running for school board. And that is what we need to do. Start a group, start a grass root organization to get yourself or someone you know onto the school board, city council etc. Even a citizen advisory board. I'm a precinct committee person. Have been guilty of knocking on people's door to help progressive people elected. It's about your wife, its about your daughter not being molested or accosted.

Cold as it is, up here, I continue to ride, but now I find myself riding more than just for the love of riding. I ride every day because I desperately need to relieve the stress caused by continual doses of horrible political news.

Nothing is helping me with the stress.

I did go to the town hall yesterday that was held by my state senator and state delegate. It was well-attended. Mostly they focused on state legislation, but they also emphasized the need for help with this year's elections, which include all the state delegates as well as governor. I'm going to find a way to help with them. One of my US Senators is also up for reelection this year.

Meanwhile my congressman is among several at Dulles Airport today, where yesterday's court order is being ignored. Yesterday the governor and state attorney general were there.

Gone but not forgotten:

My parents who travel as a lifestyle attend a small protest in Phoenix. What I found most interesting is that there were a few counter protestors who showed up that felt it necessary to wear black masks .....

I think this is a great photo - the protestor just looks terrifying doesn't she

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m...1600-h/014.jpg
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

A March for Science is being planned for Saturday, April 22 -- Earth Day -- in DC. I'm in. They've gotten a good response on social media and hope to have sister marches in other areas. More here:

https://marchforscience.com/

Also, I'm seeing indications that calls to your elected representatives are having an effect. So if there's proposed legislation or anything else you feel strongly about, call your Congress person and/or Senator and/or state legislator. I also saw something about a list of town halls scheduled by members of Congress.

Gone but not forgotten:

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hope the town halls proliferate in the U.S. across the nation. It's highly critical there's open discussion where people feel safe and it's moderated by in-person folks. Am hoping for the best back to normalization of democracy and rule of the law. Latter is not happening right now.

This past birthday long weekend, is something I'll always remember. Every day, there was always something drastic about Trump's manoeuvres. His ban for for dual-citizenship with 1 from 7 banned countries (not just refugees from those countries and immigrants-approved for U.S. entry), was pretty lost of my respect for this U.S. leader. It is an enormous slap in the face for all immigrants and descendant U.S. generations.

I just hope Canadian Prime Minister and our govn't doesn't fall into the same snake pit of negative political power. We did allow vetted entry of 30,000 Syrian refugees for approx. 12 months. They were screened by Canadian immigration authorities right at the refugee camps. Our city took in approx. 1,800 refugees. PM Justin Trudeau keeps repeating and hopefully he keeps at it: Canada welcomes diversity. He has not yet said publicly outright Trump is racist, wrong, etc.

As for the peaceful womens' marches across the world, it was great there was no violence. I don't support violence at protests wanting good positive change for broader community. So disappointed what devolved at Berkley U of Cal. campus.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 02-02-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.