Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think the shorteners (you can move the pedals as ROM increases) may work, loosen the joint up by riding and just getting used to the circular motion, then moving them out on detent, that would add some stretch.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I think the shorteners (you can move the pedals as ROM increases) may work, loosen the joint up by riding and just getting used to the circular motion, then moving them out on detent, that would add some stretch.
    Hmm, are you talking about something like the adapters discussed here:
    https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/re...daptor.197097/

I've never heard of adapters like that before. Kinda clever. Sounds like they could provide good therapy and help you with your ROM.

Yes, very similar, Sylvia posted links above. I just have to decide which style I want to go with.

Electra Townie 7D

Wow, if you have three minutes, check out this video, such a simple fix and it makes all the difference in the world! I can't wait to try these out... Sylvia, I owe you many beers.

Electra Townie 7D

Hope they work for you! One final word of advice - those gismos will put your feet further apart so you might have to reset (ie, lower) your saddle height a tad.

Thanks.

Electra Townie 7D

Sylvia, I emailed Tandem East yesterday and they got right back to me. The shorteners will work for adults, no problem! Very excited, thanks so much (again), this gives me hope.
    Cool!! I use their shorteners on my spin bike. Just be sure to get the correct width for your cranks. I think they have a wider version and a narrower version. And it is true they do increase your Q factor.

There is one other type of shortener you might be interested in but I've never tried them. The Thorn crank shorteners almost look like they might provide a little better adjust ability. From the pictures, You it looks like they slide a bit, thus allowing you to adjust the distance, but I might be making assumptions. See what you think, and contact them if they interest you. If these do work the way I think, if you adjust them past the length of the crankarm, be sure that you have plenty of clearance when the crank arm is closest to the ground. I don't know the area you ride or if you could make sudden turns, but I wouldn't want to see you catch it on anything.

Oh and one other option... Adjustable cranks, but they are pretty pricey.

I'm so glad I've been able to be of help!! I spent a TON of time researching this stuff for myself, and met some interesting people along the way. I really found that cycling people are some of the best!! If you click on the "Gary fisher beater bike" link below, you can read about some of the stuff I was trying to sort out. You may have to do some similar things. Feel free to ping me, since I've been down this path before.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-08-2017 at 07:00 AM.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Yesterday I picked up the letter from my doc to get a temporary handicapped hang tag for my car... I alternately want to barf or cry. Sure hope the new crank things help out some.

Electra Townie 7D

Yesterday I picked up the letter from my doc to get a temporary handicapped hang tag for my car... I alternately want to barf or cry. Sure hope the new crank things help out some.
    Pax, I know it's tough, but try to avoid allowing yourself to go there if you can. You are taking the first step in trying to sort this bike thing out.
    And there are a lot of options from what you have seen. I went from not knowing the difference between a hub and a bottom bracket to learning a ton of stuff about bikes. I took it one step at a time and sorted out each piece of the puzzle as I went. I was amazed at how much stuff was available for tweaking and modifying my bike. I found a ton of stuff by searching various phrases using google and searching through bike parts for sale on ebay. I'm not saying you will have to do the same, but for me I needed to because no one person had all the answers I needed. Just take it one step at a time and focus on that one step. Try not to get scared or discouraged by imagining where this might or might not go. It is a journey, and it might be short or it might be long and it may or may not end up where you think. I don't regret my journey for a minute.

And about the handicap placard, I graduated from red temporary tag to blue permanent a few years ago, even though I have always been disabled. I pushed off getting one for as long as I could. It wasn't until I got in a cycling accident a few years ago where I fractured my tibia and (according to my doc) likely got a small tear in my meniscus, that I got my first placard. The problem was I just didn't want to wear that label, but the problem wasn't the label it was all the associations that go with it. All the associations that weren't me and never have been. And aren't anyone else either.

Hang in there!!
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Thanks, Sylvia. My doc has been trying to get me to use a tag since 2009 and I keep refusing, but there are days now where I stay home rather than go out because of the distance in the parking lots, so it's time. Red placard coming up.

Electra Townie 7D

Pax, for additional info about pedal extenders and other means to accommodate the knee problem, you could check out the "Adaptive Cycling" forum at BikeForums.net:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/adaptive-c...t-other-needs/

Thanks, Jean, I'll check it out.

Electra Townie 7D

I had some scar tissue tear loose on the 'bent at the gym, it felt glorious after it stopped throbbing. I am starting to think my very conservative doc is wrong about not riding, my knee felt more fluid whenever I tried. They are concerned about me tearing scar tissue and it reforming, impairing my gait even more... but at this point I can't imagine it could get a whole lot worse, I can't even put on socks without laying my leg on the bed.
    Re: scar tissue -- I do know several people (including my own self) who had to tear some scar tissue after knee or ankle surgery to regain range of motion, with no regrets due to additional scar tissue forming. In some cases it was done by the surgeon or PT, but also one friend did it accidentally when he fell while trying to use a treadmill after partial knee replacement. In all cases it was necessary for a good recovery from the surgery. Of course these are just anecdotes, not science. But a second opinion might be worthwhile.

I hope the shorter cranks work out for you. As for the handicapped tag, if it gives you more freedom to get out and do stuff, I think it's worth it. And you can always choose not to use a handicapped space if you feel up to a longer walk.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Rode the recumbent exercise bike at the gym this evening, sore as hell from the awkward position but my knee feels a little better.

My wife made a good point about the hang tag, it makes more work for her when "it's too far to walk" in the parking lot, because I stay in the truck while she runs into the store. She doesn't mind but said some help now and then when I'm having a bad knee day (most days) would be welcome.

Electra Townie 7D