Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well service tech came, he said, "Maam, your router is shot."
    me: "No its not"
    "where is the Frontier supplied router? I can't work with your router."
    "Here" as I dig it out, wipe off the dust and hand the unopened box to him."

still no go.

he unplugged the "HPNA box" hooked up a new one, hooked it to their router and still no go. He said, "I need to go outside and check the box" It's the converter to go from FiOS (fiber optic) to coax. He replaced it as well. He comes back in and says that I had incorrectly connected my router to their HPNA box. (don't think so). He said that caused it to blow out his FiOS to coax converter and the HPNA box. And it also ruined my router. NOT going to write what I think of his "explanation"

He said they would normally charge me $500 to replace the equipment. At which point, I told him that we had a lightening strike nearby. I had forgotten to unplug my router, and Frontier's box. Rest of my computer equipment were not just turned off but had its power cord unplugged. So much for surge protectors and power conditioners. So Frontier isn't going to charge me for the replacement. whew!! escaped a $500 bill for now.

Frontier's router is pretty bad. Good thing I have a descent spare laying around. My old router had a built in print spooler along with other things. I repaired it about 2 years ago but after 6 years I guess it finally bricked. Cest La Vie.

Anyway, interim home connection was through my Google/Fi Nexus5x cell phone. I had tethered our computers to it. I'm not fully convinced that my old router is dead. I may poke around it... Maybe not (I just don't have time). Still have to tear apart the broken dryer and fix it. I had repaired my mothers dryer about six or so times growing up. So I think I can repair our broken one.

As for the dryer, I had built an interim drying rack. My partner didn't like it cause her shirt dried stiff and wrinkled. We now have the dented new one from Best Buy's. I no like. Too many computer stuff that can break. And there is no way I can fix the thing when it breaks.

Never marry an engineer cause this is what happens. Lots of patched up old stuff around the house along with patched up old cars.

My father was born during the Depression into a family that never had a lot of money. He is all about fixing instead of replacing. I didn't inherit his mechanical aptitude but as time goes on I am more willing to try to eek more life out of things with duct tape etc.

I've been having wifi problems at home for months. The signal just randomly drops and then reappears after a minute or so. I assumed it was due to the Comcast cable modem, which they kept telling me to replace because the technology was out of date. When I finally dealt with the problem, I decided to buy a modem rather than continue paying a monthly fee to Comcast. So I did my research online, chose one that was listed on Comcast's site as compatible with their system, and bought it at Micro-Center. (They didn't try to upsell me on that purchase -- I usually don't have problems with them.) The set up and installation went fine, but the problem of wifi dropping out continues. I think now the problem is with the router. I thought it was only 2-3 years old but it turns out to be more like 5-6 years old. One of these days I will try updating the firmware, and hopefully that will solve the problem.

I do find it frustrating to have to deal with outdated technology. It's just a waste of time to have to replace/upgrade/set up new devices. And a waste of money. I am the kind of person who is still happy to drive a 10-year-old car with almost 128,000 miles on it -- it's a good, solid car and I'm happy not to have monthly car payments right now.

As for getting what you pay for, I agree to a point, but right now I don't feel like I can afford to always pay for top of the line products. I don't get raises or bonuses at work, but benefits like health insurance keep getting more expensive with less coverage, taxes go up, condo fees go up, all my expenses go up. So I need to make trade-offs. For this new pc, given the way I will use it and the fact that I've gotten by for so long with an old slow Vista laptop, there is just no justification for getting the fastest latest model.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

We've had our own modem for as long as we've had cable. DH always researches stuff like this ad nauseum. He is always searching to get a good deal for the stuff we need and want. I truly do not have the patience. My Mac laptop is 6 years old and just fine and so is my IPhone 5s. Those things don't matter to me that much; it's more the household stuff. If I had to buy a laptop for work, though, I would probably have a different attitude. DH's laptop from his new job is horrible, so he generally figures out how to get all of the stuff on his Mac and uses that at home.
    I kept my last car for 10 years and the one before for 6; I sold that one to a get a smaller car. I hate my car now, but since I only drive 2 miles to work, I keep it. It's 5 years old. There's nothing wrong with it, but it is longer than I wanted and I made a bad decision. Problem is, I now have to consider things like easy maintenance and warranty when I buy the next one, as we will most likely be near full retirement. DH bought the only less expensive SUV/crossover I would consider (a Rav4), so I hope that other companies come out with cooler looking, similar cars. I think Hondas look like old people's cars. I will never buy a Suburu, so I am hoping Toyota or Hyundai comes out with something else.
    I generally dislike all the technology change... if my DH dies before me, I will have serious issues running my home. Everything is automated and I can never remember how to use the stuff. He likes doing this stuff and I avoid it like the plague. My parents were like me, my dad included, so I guess I had bad role models.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Well I've never had to worry about a car to look after because I don't drive. Crankin your next car might be your last car so make it a good one.

A few months ago, I gave in and bought a new home computer..after other one died following a 6 yr. old lifespan...which to me, I wish it lasted a decade. Dearie does look at certain parts but doesn't spend a lot of time and energy looking for the cheapest deal all over town. Speed is important to me because of how I use my computer..and memory. I chatted with my work colleague who shares same cubicle space as mine...about what to do abaout a non-functional hard drive which has sensitive info. (1%). He said keep it for now. Too bad I couldn't find time to go to a public demolition of discarded hard drives, iphones that our local police was organizing and executing the debris smash up. It would have been perfect.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Ha, ha Shooting Star. If I buy a car in the next 2-5 years, I don't think it will be my last one, or else that means I will be dying in my 70s. Even if I stopped driving before I die, I don't think it will be my last one.
    I always say I don't care about cars, but now, after having 2 luxury cars, I kind of do. However, I like Toyotas and was very happy when I had one, so that's why I was kind of pissed when DH bought the one car I had my eye on. But, it was important to him that he get rid of his huge SUV, so I couldn't complain, as he was right, in this regard.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

NY, that's one reason I bought my latest HP laptop with Windows 10 at Walmart. I was able to research the exact one I wanted, order it online, and pick it up in the store. I have no patience for salespeople. I know they are just doing their jobs, but I still don't like 'em. I am very self-sufficient. I love my laptop, though I do miss the smaller Asus hybrid tablet/laptop I had before this (and broke the screen trying to replace the battery after it went kaput...rats!)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow