Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Thanks, Emily. Just remember, though, that's where I bonked from heat, this summer, on our visit to Florida. Probably just as well that I stay up here where I belong.

We had a super blustery day today. Even the Canadians in the site next to us didn't ride, and they are more hardcore than us; they ride every single day with very few exceptions, while we're more on the 3-4 times a week plan. I know they must have been bored since they don't seem to be doing any projects. We at least have plenty of projects to do. I painted our little hall today.

I was hoping to ride tomorrow, but DH got an appointment at a tire place, as we have one that leaks air whenever we have a cold night (not often here but happened quite a bit in the fall), so we need to get it checked and either repaired or replaced. That means putting everything away, unhooking, and taking our 32' motorhome over to the tire place. Ugh. Looks like it will be Wed. before I can ride again. Haven't gotten to ride since Friday, so that is a bummer to me.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Hope you can out, Emily. We spent all day, yesterday, doing errands and got home at dark, so the first day this month I never got out to either ride, snowshoe or ski. Ruined my string.

Made up for it, today, by riding the fat bike out for an 11 mile run. Our roads are mostly clear, now, but with so much sand and gravel along the edges, the fat bike gives me a margin of safety if I need to hug the shoulder. (Our county uses sand and gravel on the roads, not salt. Very good thing.)

Did try one of my favorite gravels roads, too. It was not clear. Lots of slush, so some fishtailing, but not too bad. Got half a mile in, though, and the road was covered all the way across with a huge pond of slushy ice water. With the temp in the 20s, some snow falling and a cold northwest wind, I was already cold enough. Headed back home and hubby made me a latte, right way.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 01-25-2017 at 04:29 PM.

On a wildlife note, finally saw Pine Siskins at the feeder, this week. Been a little lacking in our usually variety of birds, this winter, so nice to see.

Also, we get otters that use our lake for feeding in the winter and, sure enough, they showed up, too. Love watching them dive in their holes in the ice and play and slide around on the ice. Amazing animals.

Well, I'm still kind of cold weather wimp. The last storm dropped the early morning temperatures from low 40's down to 29-30. I haven't been able to persuade myself to face the freeze and ride to work. So just one commute so far this week and one post work ride of just 6 miles. Maybe I can convince myself to go out Friday when the low is supposed to be 32...or maybe I will surprise myself tomorrow (but I'm not too enthusiastic).
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Well, I'm still kind of cold weather wimp. The last storm dropped the early morning temperatures from low 40's down to 29-30. I haven't been able to persuade myself to face the freeze and ride to work. So just one commute so far this week and one post work ride of just 6 miles. Maybe I can convince myself to go out Friday when the low is supposed to be 32...or maybe I will surprise myself tomorrow (but I'm not too enthusiastic).
    Nothing wrong with not liking to ride in the cold weather - that's what I always told myself Our bodies all seem to have different tolerance levels for comfortable outdoors exercise conditions. My cold-air induced asthma probably contributes to that, but I'm also noted that I appear to have a higher tolerance to exercising outside in very hot/humid conditions over some of my REALLY cold-air temp riding friends. The trick is to find that balance that works for us.

So right, Catrin. Very much what we get acclimated to do, too. I get outdoors every day in the winter to enjoy our winter sports - it's one of the big reasons we retired, up here. After awhile, cold is just, well, cold. No big deal. If I came from a warm climate with no time to acclimate, be another story. Same way on the other end. For instance, I found myself way out of my element in the Florida heat and humidity when I bicycled in Florida, this last September. I think I could adapt to that kind of heat, though, given enough time. Just way too much of a shock to the system for me, coming from a place where 80s is as hot as it ever gets in the summer.

Of course, bicycling in extremes of weather is also very much a matter of attitude and psychology, not to mention perspective and background. I'm sure some folks think I'm nuts for biking in our winters, but I'm in awe of folks who can bicycle in extreme heat.

Another wildlife update. Just saw two big coyotes running across the yard in the snow. Need to keep an eye on the dogs. Coyotes will kill them if they corner a dog in the woods.

Finally got out for rides (34+ and 36+ miles) these past two days after rain, wind, and then RV maintenance day. Nice weather -- highs in 70s though a little chilly starting out both days. Another front coming through tonight, then five days of cooler weather for us. Not sure how much we'll get out. I don't mind riding in 60s, but I draw the line below that. And I much prefer to ride in the morning, so a day with a high of 62 here is not going to hit that til maybe 4 pm, when traffic is at its worst. We'll see. Might be doing a lot of walking and projects instead.
    Emily

This is a non-ride report. I coudn't get up and out on the cold days. The weekend doesn't look too great either- I am helping a friend finishing grouting tile this morning and when it warms it's going to be breezy (maybe 15-20 with gusts over that) and then I'm leaving for Phoenix at 2:15 for a music session. Maybe I'll get out for an hour in spite of the wind. Tomorrow is even windier, with gusts to 40. Gusts to 30 blow me around the road, so that doesn't look too promising. But the weather for commuting next week looks pretty good.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Wind=no riding for me. I think shorter people are more prone to feeling the effects of wind.
    Sometimes you just have to go with the way you feel.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I agree. Those kinds of winds can be dangerous for bicycling, especially if you are bicycling in a high traffic area. Have also found that super light road bikes with skinny tires are especially vulnerable to losing control with strong gusts, but one big plus with road bikes or drop bar bikes is that you can squeeze down into a lower position. My Salsa Fargo with its 2.2" tires has proven to be a very stable ride in gusty winds out on the highway and the MTB like lower gearing also helps. In fact, we have enough pavement showing through the snow, now, that I may take it for a spin, today.

It's as cold in central Florida as in NC today. Cloudy and low 50s = no riding for me! I hadn't planned on it, though. We never ride Saturdays because usually the excellent bike paths here are just full of novice riders (kids and adults), roller bladers, runners, dog walkers, you know the drill. We try to ride four days during the week. This past week we only managed three due to cold, windy weather at the beginning of the week. Looks like this coming week will be chilly too. I'd be thrilled if we get three rides in (probably Wed-Thur-Fri because of the cold front). Getting indoor projects done and walking to stores. Tomorrow I'll do my yoga/light weights workout inside our motorhome.
    Emily

Good and bad, today. First, the bad. Took a bad spill out on the road with the fat bike when I hit a patch of unseen black ice, unseen because the skiff of snow that had fallen earlier made it impossible to tell clean pavement from iced over pavement underneath. Not my worst spill by any means, but bruised shoulder and elbow. Ouch! I'll feel it in the morning. Time to be thinking fat tires with studs and, yes, they do make such things.

Now for the good which followed after my spill. Retreated from the road to try my luck out on the lake ice and discovered to my delight that all the snow had crusted over to the point where I could roll on top of it at good speed. Did four laps around the lake for a total of about six miles, all the while with snow falling. If we don't get more than a few inches of snow, overnight, should still be good tomorrow. Balmy 16 degrees, too.

Yup, winter snow biking at its best. Star, our Border Collie and my constant companion, thought so, too.

Ouch, nwg! Hope the pain isn't too bad tomorrow. Amazed you still managed to ride after that.

Balmy 16 degrees!!!

We are chilly down here in Florida. 40s the last few mornings has me in fleece and wool! No riding either. Might get out tomorrow.
    Emily

Thanks, Emily. No blood and nothing broke, so just some soreness, mostly the right shoulder. Have had much worse. If you put in enough miles, sooner or later, you go down. Just part of bicycling.

As for the temperature, hey, no kidding, 16 degrees is actually a nice temp for winter snow sports as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard. Sounds a little nutty if you don't do snow sports, but those of us that ski and play in the snow have a different outlook on winter. Come on up and join in the fun.