Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Riding in the New Year: January!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Happy New Year, everyone!

I'll start this month off. Got in a lovely ride on the West Orange Trail this morning, along with seemingly half of the Orlando area. After all the fireworks last night, it's amazing anyone was even awake! Breezy, warm day and felt good.

Ended up with 3414 miles for 2016 and started this year with a nice 35.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Had a great year, too, but quit counting miles back in August when I switched over to mostly mountain biking. Still, that was some 2700 miles plus all the mountain biking. Close enough.

Just a few laps around the lake on the ice with the fat bike, but got to visit some of the neighbors who were out ice fishing. They report lots of bluegills and some northerns. They offered me some, but I'm not much on eating fish, let alone cleaning them.

I rounded the year out with about 4800- have to enter a few more rides from December (I use bike journal). I started the year with a very short and very wet ride. There was a window of dry weather and I rode out 4 miles down the bike path and to a nearby park with a Lake. I got pretty well soaked riding back- total of 8 miles.

Heading out now with my husband for an indeterminate length ride... depends on how we feel.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Rode west into Lake County today on the rolling hills of the South Lake & Lake Minneola Trails. A couple of nice wildlife sightings along the way: Sandhill Cranes across the road, and (a first for me, I think), a gorgeous Gopher Tortoise right on the trail. Was interested to learn more about them, including that they are found almost solely in Florida now, are endangered, and are considered "keystone species", since their burrows provide shelter for many other animal species. Cool-O! This guy was about a foot long.

Another 35 miles today so am up to 105 on the new year so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0162_01.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	18270 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0164_01.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	18271
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0167_01.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	18272 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0169_01.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	18273

Good job on the mileage, AZ. I would like to end up with a total more like yours in the coming year, but we shall see.
    Emily

an image of a wild and free tortoise is a good thing lots of bicycling yearly mileage...a double good thing
    Thinking I'm probably around 4000+ miles with commuting, weekend rides and the few organized rides i did. I don't keep an accurate mileage log though.

Yay puddles!!

Caryl rd has a lot of different looks as the year progresses. That’s one of the reasons I like to ride it before heading home from work in Oxnard. Today it was bare limbs, the strong green color of lemon trees, new plant life in a valley field and the end of a rain storm that left a couple of deep puddles to ride childlike through with my legs up…and back to where I parked my car at the ocean.

A good welcome home first ride of 2017….

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Beautiful images, Rebecca!
    Emily

Plus one (as usual), Rebecca. Right now that is about as far from my world as it gets without being on a different planet. Five, below, right now and a stiff wind to boot. Just warms me up seeing your pics.

Crazy me, though, I'll likely take the fatties out on the ice, again, because another ice storm (unusual for us) has made my skiing a mess. Love the way the fat bikes can take on any kind snow texture or even ice. They're only limited by snow depth.

OK, ladies, I actually rode outdoors today. After a soaking rain last night, the roads are clear and the group ride start was close. I did the shorter 31 mile ride, which was good, so I didn't push myself with close to 50. There were only 6 people in our group, and it was on my favorite roads. Apparently, all the indoor riding, tabata, power, hiking, and nordic skiing are keeping me fit for outdoor rides.
    But, I really want to ski!!!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good job, Crankin! Amazing to me that you were able to ride outdoors in New England in January. Good going!

Today was a much-needed day off for me. DH has got a very cranky hip, so tomorrow may be a solo ride for me, but I'm determined to go, as the weather is due to be rainy Saturday, then chilly Sunday (high in the 50s!?!), so I will probably work on some RV projects over the weekend and hit the trails again when things get warm and sunny again next week. Good thing about cold fronts here is that they never last long.
    Emily

Rebecca- beautiful pictures!

Crankin good for you.

Emily- I passed you in miles today! The last days of my winter vacation plus commuting today have raised my total to 110. I probably dressed warmer than I needed to, but wore my new split mitts, under helmet cap and soft shell jacket. I thought it was going to be 41 but NWS said 46. However, there was probably cool air drainage along the dry riverbed.

I might ride again tomorrow....
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

We have a record 14 inches of snow in Boise... Streets are quite a mess. Some of my Fat Bike friends have been having a blast on the trails. Me, I think I will break out the snow shoes to mail packages today at the Post Office. I thought about going to a spin class but that would involve driving - Wah
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Yup, sounds like fat bike weather, Sky. Of course, any weather is fat bike weather.

Nine below and the usual scary wind chill advisory warning stuff when I headed out on the fat bike, after breakfast. Nothing new for me, though. Just a matter of dressing, right, which I did not, unfortunately. Definitely too many layers on my leggings and started to overheat, but part of that was the icy, crusty snow out on the lake which required a lot of pedaling effort. Remarkably, though, that stiff snow allowed me to do some trail work in my ski tracks on the fat bike without any skidding out. Overall, only four miles, but I had to huff and puff to get it.

One thing I got to try out was a set of neoprene bar mittens. This set is actually the Bar Mitten brand, but there are many outfits than make them, now. These things are great. Used only a light par of gloves inside these and my hands stayed toasty warm even at these sub zero temps. Should have picked up a set of these a LONG time, ago. Have even seen versions, now, for road bikes.

I have zero miles so far this year. Rain, cold, vacation, etc.

I did upload all my rides for last year. Here are the totals, copied verbatim from Ride with GPS.

Number of rides: seventy-seven
    Total time riding: 7 days, 10 hours
    On your bike for a week? Your butt must be sore.
    Distance traveled: 2,275 miles
    Amount climbed: 112,580 feet

The month with the most miles was April, due to the training I did for the Tour de Cure in early May.

The total miles was about 400 more than the previous year, I think.

Indoor rides are included in the totals -- the Garmin has a way of computing distance for those, based on cadence and time, I guess.

It will be cold this weekend but I hope/plan to get in at least one indoor workout. Right now we are expecting SNOW OMG SNOW CRISIS CRISIS STAY OFF THE ROADS. Because one inch -- ONE -- is expected to fall tonight. I often say that I hate winter, but I'm starting to think that what I really hate is winter in DC. Because a dusting during rush hour actually can cause epic traffic jams around here.

Anyway I did receive a new Spinervals DVD for Christmas -- the one where Coach Troy rides the ironman course in Lake Placid. It's 3 hours long, far longer than I will ever do in one indoor workout. But the scenery will be nice. So I will use it to focus on for 45-60 minutes or so, then use a different part for another workout, to try to keep things from getting dull.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

After a much-needed day off, I got out for a solo 30 miles today. DH's hip is ailing him, so I'll be on my own until he's healed up and ready to ride again. It was in the 60s, low humidity, breezy, and gorgeous! Also, the kiddos have gone back to school and workerbees back to work, so the trail was much quieter than during the holidays. Still some old farts and the occasional racer boy, but for the most part, miles and miles of nearly no one. Bliss!
    Emily

I can honestly say I didn't see another bike rider, today, too.