Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question for certified spin instructors

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was taking a class the other day and the guy teaching told me I should get certified and teach the more I thought about it the better I liked the idea. I called my gym and she said there wouldn't be any cert. classes here until early fall NEXT year.

Is there somewhere I can look to find out more info on certif????
    LIFE IS GOOD

I looked up spin certification on Google and found
    http://www.spinning.com/instructors/...id1=7&nLevel=1

You could also check on certification through AFAA or ACE.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

thanks Denise, I knew someone would have something.
    LIFE IS GOOD

Spinning.com is best for Studio cycle. That is with Madd Dog athletics. They teach the Johnny G style which was the originator. Be well prepared. It is a huge money making business. They do not teach you how to put together a class or how to teach. You will get a piece of paper that will says you are certified after a 6 hr. class but you will have to learn how to do it on your own. AFAA is not good, interesting but will not teach you how to do it. I have a Lemond cert for studio cycle and am certified with Les Mills for RPM. RPM is outstanding. They provide the workout and music every three months. They teach you how to teach and you have to provide a video of yourself teaching and are graded before you are considered certified. The rides are fun, well received and challenging. However, you can only teach at a licensed facility. In the USA, all corporate Golds Gyms are licensed. Good Luck!

Smile Research before you take a cert class.

If you've done a little checking you'll know that the certification classes aren't cheap. All class aministrators are not accecpted at all gyms. I would first check w/ the gym you'd like to teach at to see which certifications they take. You will also need to get a group excercise certification, spin certification, cpr cert., and possibly additional spin classes depending on where you work. I teach at 24hour fitness. After all my classes were out of the way when i started I think it cost somewhere around $400 for everything. At 24hour fitness they let you sign a one year waiver if you don't have all your certifications done. ...so this might be the route you'd want to go since you won't be out a ton of money if you don't think teaching's right for you.

good luck

Also check out the boards at Pedal-on.com. It's a spinning board and there are people there from different certs and you might glean some neutral info. I was certified in Mad Dogg, and although I agree with Jen, they don't teach you how to teach, if you have the talent already, I much prefer to make my wn music and choreograph my own routines. Not my career, but as a cyclist, it's "my thing", and I focus alot of time on it, and studied other good and great instructors. I've also committed to continuing education as well to go beyond just teaching and developing programs for my students such as heart rate training. So again, it depends on how much work you prefer to independently put in, and yes, it all has a cost.

You might see which club you'd like to teach at and see what certs they take, as someone else mentioned, some only take certain ones. The club I taught at only accepted Johnny G/Mad Dogg...otherwise legally they could not call it "Spinning" (trademarked by Mad Dogg) they had to call it indoor cycling and that doesn't have the same appeal to people.

Good luck on your decision!
    Ride like a girl.

Renee

I second the recommendation to check out the Pedal-On forums. I got the link from here and I have gleaned so much information from there. I'm really excited about taking my Spinning Orientation in May!

Smile Go Schwinn

Having been teaching Cycling for some time now, I would highly recommend that you check out becoming certified through Schwinn. All their information is scientifically researched and you really learn a lot. You take the test and are certified then and there for life. Of course, you will want to continue taking workshops to keep up with the changes in the industry, but this is well worth the money!

Jay Blahnik was my certifying instructor and he is amazing as a coach!! They hold certifications all over at different conventions and areas, so check this website out! www.Schwinncycling.com

Good luck, you'll love it!

Liz

Thanks for the great info you all.

Eric Leader
    owner
    www.everybodyspersonaltrainer.com