Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well I went Christmas shopping last night and came home with two new pairs of boots for me, so I can't criticize...

(But they were Uggs on sale!!! Only $99!! And two of my go-to pairs of boots are worn out and read to fall apart!! So I got 2 pairs of Uggs for the price of 1!!)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Ha, ha, NY.
    Pax, about 12 years ago, DH started traveling to Europe for business. At once, he decided he no longer wanted to look like a suburban dad and totally changed his clothing, etc. He no longer travels, but it stuck. I'm proud of him, in that he is fit enough to pull it off, at age 60.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Meanwhile my partner profoundly dislikes wearing a tie ever since he retired. He has face profile and beard that looks handsome when he wears a tie. Now it's buying nice looking fleece and semi-athletic jackets for him.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

My DH lives in t-shirts and shorts. I can't imagine him in a tie, fancy shoes, or anything like that. Of course, being retired and primarily hanging out in warm climates, that is part of it.

He did just get some cool new specs, though!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

DH hardly ever wears a tie, either. Dressing nice does not necessarily entail a suit. The only times he has worn a suit in the past 10 years have been interviews, weddings, funerals, and occasional fancy parties/dinners. He has not had to wear suit to work since the early 90s.
    He wears really nice jeans and wool pants, and only wears chinos without pleats. He wears short sleeved button down shirts in checks and prints in the summer and sweaters in the winter. He also wears what women would call capris in the summer, with tee shirts, when not working. Mostly denim. Very popular for men in Europe and still get stares here.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

If I put on a dress I end up looking like a really badly done up drag queen...so I play to my strengths and wear very tailored classic things; wool slacks with a beautiful hand, longer cashmere sweater, wool topcoat. I'm screwed for summer though.

Electra Townie 7D

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm not keen to figure out contacts. Murienne I never thought of teal! I have mixed feelings about antique bronze..maybe. I'm not keen on tortoise shell or any brown colours against my face at this stage in life.
    Some people with black hair and features look good in full black rim glasses.

I'm not sure there is such cheapies, Pax here in Canada. I've gone into chains like Lenscrafter and did find it limiting.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post

I'm not sure there is such cheapies, Pax here in Canada. I've gone into chains like Lenscrafter and did find it limiting.
    They are a company out of China, it's all mail order. Not sure if there are restrictions for such things in Canada though.

Electra Townie 7D

Being in China is what started DH buying cool glasses. He bought 2 pair while on a business trip.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Progressives aren't all equal - there are the standard non-digital, and two higher levels of digital progressives - I think it has to do with the manufacturing process. I've learned the hard way those distinctions matter quite a lot. I've never been able to see with contacts - I've lots of things going on with my vision and I don't do well with the standard progressives either. And if you can use the standard progressives and move up to a higher level lens, then many people literally can't drop back down in the future.

I think it's safe to probably order single vision glasses online, I've young coworkers who do so, but I wouldn't risk it. I've enough problems when I go to the opticians!

Shootingstar - I think Teal would look great on you!

AZfiddle - I've a small face as well and have found that Jones New York frames are typically the only ones I can find around here that fit my face - and I still have to be careful they don't sit too far away from my eyes. I've had problems with prescriptions in this situation as the it prevents us from being able to really take advantage of the prescription. We figured it out and the optician was able to somehow adjust my frames to make it work but still it's a concern. Which brand have you found that works for you?

The frames I have that I love are from a company called Kayla Designs.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I wear frameless/rimless glasses for the most part. The extra visual of the frame doesn't do much for me. I also found out that smaller lens and progressive prescription don't go together even if they are digital. The other drawback with frameless is that they are not as sturdy and will break if you are not careful.

On this go around, my glasses have rim on top half only in hopes of being bit more rugged and lens that is bit bigger than my last glasses to make it easier on the progressive.

I tried contact in the past and absolutely hated them. Never could get comfortable with it.

My Kayla designs glasses are probably on the edge for size, as far as progressives. The reading part is better in my DG frames, but they feel a bit too big now. They aren't, but it's just that I am used to the others.
    Yeah, as far as the China thing, DH had 2 pairs of progressives made while he was there and although he actually met with an optometrist, when the glasses arrived, they sucked. So, since they were so cheap, he took them to his optician and had the prescription redone. He still saved a ton.
    I would check out Eye Bobs, though. In USA, I love them for readers and they now will put your regular prescription in their frames.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura