Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Prescription glasses-best style for you??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, if you wear contacts, say so. This is about prescription glasses. I can't wear reading glasses because my eyes are different. Am asking since prescription are expensive and won't get any cheaper. I also fuss over a great range of styles, colours and shapes out there.

I tried progressives but found after 4 wks., it was giving me headaches and eye pain this year. So I had the new set changed to reading glasses. I have a 2nd pair for computer work. So it's a pain to carry 2 sets but that's I can cope with right now.

On left is my computer glasses which I love the style. The right are my new reading glasses. I originally liked the style, but feel slightly clownish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glasses2013.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	18257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glasses2016.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	18258
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I agree- the left hand picture is good- and I don't care for the right hand style on your face.

My glasses frame just broke today and I will be going in to get a new prescription and frames this week. But my face is so small that there is only one brand that seems to fit my face and look attractive.

BTW it took me a month to get used to progressives but then the headaches went away and I have used them ever since with no problem.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I think for a smaller face (I am in that category, too), it is very hard to find cool, but well fitting frames. There is a thread somewhere, a few years back where someone gave me fabulous advice about a brand for small faces. I had to go to a store not so close and didn't end up with that brand, but I did find lots of cool styles for small heads. I had been buying glasses in the tween section for too long.
    I wear contacts, with reading glasses over them and I also have 2 pair of progressives, now that I finally have frames that are stylish amd fit me. I've had progressives for 20 years and since i never wore them, except at night, at home I only recently have felt comfortable driving and going outside in them. So, the reading glasses first. I buy mine online from a place called Eye Bobs. They have a size called "pinhead," which is for small heads. The choice is not as wide, but there's enough. They are more than drugstore frames, but less than optometrists' prices. If you know your readers ' scrip, you are set. I've bought several from here. And, I just got a thing from them that said they will put a regular prescription in their frames, too.
    The first pair of progressives that I found for smaller heads are Dolce and Gabana. Yes, expensive, but along the lines of your bigger ones, but smaller and all black.Then, about 2 years ago, I found a pair of almost "cat-eye" frames at a local optician store. They have a slight tiger print on the top and are more brownish. I can't tell you how many compliments I get on these. In fact, clients of other therapists often stop me in the waiting room when I have them on, to compliment me. They are from a designer in California.
    I agree with NY. Give the progressives a chance, unless your eye doctor has told you they are not for you. I had headaches at first, too, but of course, that was 20 years ago, so I think I did. But, i've been wearing reading glasses over my contacts since I was 38, so I've been doing this a long time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    The right are my new reading glasses. I originally liked the style, but feel slightly clownish.
    It looks like you have more of an oval face so oversized glasses will take away from your face’s natural symmetry. the left ones look more appropriate for your face shape. thinking there is info on the net about face shape and the best styles for glasses.
    progressives just don't work for some people especially if their eye movement is even slightly different between eyes....sometimes two different pairs is the right answer.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Hmm. I think I have a wider face than oval..right photo distorts my face. I know, because my sisters have lovelier shaped faces.
    Prescription glasses aren't cheap...and that ticks me off. I have a employee benefit that discounts by $400.00....for a pr. @ $700.00. Anyway, I realize the following for myself in preferences:

*Only half frame rimmed glasses. When having black brows and nature of my features, I need glasses that "lighten" my features in my face. If you notice, I don't wear ANY eyeliner nor mascara. I haven't for the past 35 yrs. I tried mascara once and my eyes felt so heavy/tired. I don't need to look more academic or more geeky.....I think my personality comes across as more serious and I'm less a "girlie" chick in style....so having "lighter" or funkier glasses is probably better me. That's why I originally bought the right hand reading glasses style. Oh well, I still wear them. I thought even buying deep red/purple frame or even deep indigo blue. Who knows, as one grows older, one gets crazier?

*I like a large lens surface to look through. Don't like small surface lenses..

*I also like large lens surface and lighter style frames to enhance naturally dark large eyes. Thank you mother from whom I inherited this set of eyes.

Wearing glasses still hasn't been a 100% habit for me. EVen though I've had glasses for past 3+ years. I frequently forget them at home for work... I didn't need to wear glasses until I was 51 yrs.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 12-11-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Yup, purple, blue, lighter, crazy ones would look great on you!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Some brands that make very stylish frames for smaller faces are: Kliik, Lulu Guinness, and Fysh. My wife has also tried kids frames and some of them work as well.

For me, I've found I enjoy color, so my last pair are a really cool blue.

Electra Townie 7D

I'm another who wears contact lenses for distance and reading glasses for up close. I buy the readers at the grocery story, Target, etc. I have a pair at home, one at work, one in my purse, one in the car, a folding pair in my bike bag. I usually get fun colored frames like purple or red.

In the past year or so I've been wearing my prescription glasses for distance more often. This is due to various reasons -- eye allergies in the spring, too lazy to put contacts in, I like wearing the glasses when I ride my bike at night or have a long drive. I take them off to read. Which means I am frequently taking them off at home and putting them down somewhere, then forgetting where I put them. It drives me crazy. Anyway the upshot is that whether I wear contacts or not, I'm always putting glasses on and taking them off all day long. I'm told it's possible to get progressive contacts but I'm worried I'll get headaches from them, or from progressive glasses. Also my distance Rx is pretty stable but the farsightedness is getting worse, and it's cheaper to buy new readers at the grocery store than get a new prescription.

I bought my prescription glasses probably 5-6 years ago, and I remember trying on virtually every pair in the store trying to find something I liked. Because I also like larger lenses to see through -- I hate having a small circle of clear vision with a blurry area around it -- but I think small-medium size frames look better on me. So it was hard to find a size that I liked. Also I tried some colors that I thought would look good but ended up hating them. Eventually I got a pair of Rayban titanium frames that are fairly ordinary rectangles with rounded corners. They're a bit larger than I like, aesthetically, but most of my field of vision is clear which is important. I think technically they were on the side of the store with the men's frames, but they're pretty gender-neutral.
    Last edited by ny biker; 12-12-2016 at 09:37 AM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

NY, my DH has the progressive contacts with no issues. He has dailies, as he wears his many pairs of glasses often!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I so wish the multi-focal contacts would work for me! I tried several brands back when I was working and had eye insurance, but none of them worked for me.

Did the readers/contacts things for a long time, but it just didn't work for all situations, especially cycling (reading my bike computer) and computer work. Was fine for distance, but even reading wasn't perfect.

I have been wearing progressive glasses for about 10 years now (I'm 55), and I really like them. I have never had a problem adjusting, but my two eyes are very close in Rx, so I am lucky. I still see better close up with no glasses at all, but they are fine for computer work and "lite" reading.

I have had all different styles of frames over the years, most wire-framed, some with full frames, some half, and most recently I've gone to plastic. I got the current ones in Mexico, and with Transitions (turn dark outside), anti-glare, and everything, they only ran about $250. DH got similar ones just a couple of weeks ago here in Florida and paid $360 for similar ones at Walmart, one of the least expensive places for Rx glasses in the US.

I have an oval-shaped face, not tiny but small, and here is the shape I went with (inside and out):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0432 (600x800) - Copy.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	18259 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LunchWithShipe - Copy.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	18260

I don't know if this helps at all, but it's a data point. I agree that colors would be great on you, ShootingStar!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Yea, next time in 2 yrs. or so...coloured frames.

There seems to be way more full rimmed glass styles for Rx glasses. Sigh. I agree with Pax Kliik, Fysh brands look good but those I tried most were small lens surface....and a touch too expensive for me. This glass style selection took me all over the City. I biked around..

Now we have to realize in retirement for me, I would have to pay in full. Drugstore readers don't work for me because of eye differences.
    I consulted 3 siblings who have been wearing glasses since their teens and others for my lst pr. hunt. I took completely for granted their eyeglass wear for decades. One sister has funky light pink lining a pair of black rims, etc. She looks good..her hair completely pulled back. Also a pair with deep blue-purple rims. My other siblings are far more conservative and pragmatic. For them it's like wearing running shoes, I suppose.

I would love to have a whole wardrobe of colored glasses to match all types of outfits, but with them being expensive progressives, I had to go with a conservative color (tortoiseshell).
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I had loads of coworkers order from Zenni Optical, not as high quality as your local optician, but worked just great. One bought cool frames and colors so she had probably 10 pairs, she loved to coordinate with her outfits.

Electra Townie 7D

She must know my DH....
    He started collecting frames about 5-6 years ago. Whenever he gets a new prescription, he buys a new pair and keeps the old ones and has the prescription changed. He uses his vision benefit every year for glasses and pays for his contacts.
    Then, there's the shoes. I call him Mr. Ismelda.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

That's hysterical, Crankin!

Electra Townie 7D