Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Tires?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Just a hair under 5'10" and most of it is in my inseam, so I do very well on 29ers and fat bikes.
    My Surly Krampus is a 2015, and they have vastly changed the geometry for the 2017''s. FWIW, the seat tubes are so short, I'm fully extended on a size small Krampus with a Thompson, 409 mm seat post. A medium would be better, but because of my inseam length, I'd still have too much saddle to bar drop on the medium since the stack is relatively short. The '17's have even shorter seat tubes, so look at the seat tube height carefully to see if it would work for you. I'm 5'7" with a 33.3" inseam, and the seat tube is only 385. I figure I need at least 425 to be reasonable, and I personally want a stack over 610. That can be hard to find with an effective top tube around 600ish. They do exist, but I have to eliminate a lot of them. I also need a very steep seat tube with a zero offset seat post, and the Krampus is a bit too slack for me. I'm looking for the perfect replacement, but it's difficult. The best possibility is the Karate Monkey. The new ones can run either 29", or 27.5+.

If the geometry looks good, it's a fabulous, well-handling, but stable bike. When I add gear to the bike, it actually becomes more stable. Despite what I said above, I love the bike, it's a great machine. The Krampus has a weird geometry, and I've heard of a lot of people my height or a couple of inches taller on a size small. Maybe they have a shorter inseam, so the geometry is better for them.

(Sorry about any typos, I'm on my phone, and can't actually see any of this text).

I'm considering a Karate Monkey, a Fargo, maybe one of the bikes from Advocate Cycles, not sure what else.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 12-06-2016 at 08:55 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Here is a size small with a 385 mm seat tube set up for a long inseam in an upright position. The stack on the medium in the same year is only 1 cm higher.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	18256

You can't necessarily tell in the photo, but the bars are higher than the saddle. I had it built from a frameset.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

here's a vertically flipped photo sheila
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Thanks, that was too difficult to attempt on my phone.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Yeah, that is a lot of stem, for sure.

Speaking of the Fargo, I have this year's version and love it for road work, less so for trail work. For me, the road bike SRAM shifters are way too slow and long in the throw for technical trail work, all the more so when you are in the drops and that's where you should be on the trail (as per Salsa's recommendation, too). With my hands, almost impossible to shift down, quickly, several gears as needed with the road bike setup and that's a killer when it comes to making it up the nasty steeps. For a winter project, I may be converting it over to a Jones flat bar with standard MTB shifters, because I otherwise love the bike on the trail. Or I may just sell it because I'd end up with something like a Krampus, then.

By the way, my 2016 Fargo won't go 3", but the new 2017s will.

Also, just checking the Surly page on fitting and they reminded me that I should be using my bicycling inseam, not my pants inseam, for sizing purposes. My pants inseam is 32", but my bicycling inseam is just a touch over 33". Duh!
    Last edited by north woods gal; 12-06-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Thanks, that was too difficult to attempt on my phone.
    Ha, it's Fred Astaire day here for me. First a post from Smilingcat on another thread reminded me of Holiday Inn (one of my favorite movies), and now we're dancing on the ceiling like in Royal Wedding.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Most sizing charts for mountain bikes put me on a size smaller than I actually need, but even the bigger ones have too low a stack. Niner makes a steel frameset that would fit me, but I'd want to transfer my entire group t it, and I wouldn't be able to. If I get a Fargo, I'd put the group you see above on it. Might be too short a reach for Jones bars, but, OTOH, my measurements don't really go with the size charts. So it could work.

Anyone looking for a gently used Surly Krampus frameset, size small?

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I feel your pain. Long in the legs and short in the torso is constant bike fit headache for me. Drives me nuts, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    I feel your pain. Long in the legs and short in the torso is constant bike fit headache for me. Drives me nuts, sometimes.
    I'm okay with road bikes. I can make women's or men's work. Mountainbike are surprisingly difficult, though. And women's are sometimes worse than men's, because they have a low standover. I'm new to mountainbikes, so it took getting a frameset that didn't fit to figure out the peculiarities.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

You're right about MTBs. There is so much variation as to style and types and specific designs for various types of terrain. Add to it the fact that the MTB world is far more prone to trends. Shopping for and fitting road bikes is a breeze by comparison.

if your jumping the shark there is a facebook group called Salsa and Surly Trader - selling Salsa and Surly's. We are so excited to see the new Surly Troll and Karate Monkey's. Will be fun bikes
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    if your jumping the shark there is a facebook group called Salsa and Surly Trader - selling Salsa and Surly's. We are so excited to see the new Surly Troll and Karate Monkey's. Will be fun bikes
    Isn't that jumping the Mountain Monster?
    Last edited by Muirenn; 12-07-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I don't think the LeMond would take a tire any wider than a 25mm, but I've never checked. Just assumed. 25 is wide for me, unless its cx or mountain.

While we are on subject, I know I'm supposed to be able to run a 3" tire on my Velocity Blunts for the Krampus, but so far have stuck to Maxxis Ardents (2.4 and 2.25). Have you seen Blunts with 3" tires? Do they get a good seal? I suppose I could try WTB in 2.8 inch. Not really into paying $600.00 for a Rabbit Hole wheelset, though they look like they would eat roots for breakfast.
    I can put 28s on my LeMond Tourmalet.

I've run Gatorskins for years... Just swapped out to try Schwalbe Duranos. They are made of a softer material but get great reviews for riding in wet weather. So far I'm liking them! They are also about half the price of the Gatorskins.

I do have a set of Marathon Plus tires I was running on a touring bike. I didn't find they had all that great of traction in wet/muddy stuff. Not that the Durano's or Gatorskins do either... and the Marathons are heavy and hard to mount, for me at least. So they are hanging on a wall and I'm enjoying the light-weight Durano's (with one flat so far in 300 miles).
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles